1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Saying goodbye to TSP

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by smoovemode, Jun 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smoovemode

smoovemode Forum Member

Man...I love the app, but I have yet to come across a club that uses it. Tons of famous DJs hella use it. But, Clubs are using the "Other" brand and it came down getting gigs with the "Other" brand or spinning at home with TSP. I can't believe that NI hasn't tried to break in the Market here (Vegas). I understand though. If you win, you win big. But, if you lose...well, you could lose big. It's crazy that many of these clubs use TSP certified Pioneer mixers, but they go out of the way to buy the "other brand's" box to keep the "other brand" going! Well, I still love TSP regardless...I'll miss it.

2. mastermc

mastermc NI Product Owner

you can't use it at home ?

3. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

This baffles me. It's fair to say that most of NI's marketing in the last 5 years has been US centric. They have battered the market in the US and Traktor is selling squillions of copies.

The fact that some clubs are still sticking to what was the market leader and first decent DVS system is simply their choice. Serato dominated the US market for years. Traktor, it's fair to say from anecdotal evidence has broken Seratos stronghold but it takes time for things to change. There is a whole generation of bedroom DJ's using Traktor that will inevitably force clubs to change or include a TSP system.

Hey ho.

4. brooklyndrew

brooklyndrew NI Product Owner

I have to say.... Out of several DJs that I know personally, I'm the only one using Traktor. I have been a long time Traktor Freak, and I love it. But when its my turn, I just connect my Analog Mixer to theirs and BAMB I'm using my Traktor setup. Hopefully more DJs in the club scene here NYC will start using Traktor.

5. tmccoy

tmccoy Forum Member

It's an interesting marketing paradigm - whatever is the most prevalent club system pushes its way into people's homes as well. So it's somewhat of a top down approach by controlling the club setup.

6. stroumf77

stroumf77 NI Product Owner

As @brooklyndrew said:
    ''I have to say.... Out of several DJs that I know personally, I'm the only one using Traktor''
    It happens to me too . I believe that some djs they afraid to remove to another program and just they prefer to stay there because they know much better the interface.
    *At that days i try to teach to a friend of mine the Traktor .....and ... hmmm..... in every hot night he opens the Virtual because he feels more safe.
    But i insist ! And i will win for his good ;)

7. brooklyndrew

brooklyndrew NI Product Owner

Two of my DJ friends, who I grew up with using vinyl back in the 80's (84 - 85), are stuck with Serato. They think Traktor is so confusing and complicated.... But they don't give it a chance when I try to teach them. But when I spin (Still use my turntables) and use my effects they wish they had them.... Go figure.

8. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

I bet none of you guys are from the UK..?
    In the UK Traktor is predominant.

In my city there are at least 10 pro DJ's using Traktor. I know one Serato DJ.

This view that Serato is the industry standard is very much a US view.

9. Ghost_On_Da_Maschine

Ghost_On_Da_Maschine NI Product Owner

Well all I will say is IF you were using Traktor on any real level good luck with being able to work even remotely close to what you are accustom to.

10. Freak Show

Freak Show Forum Member

In the US Serato is pretty much the industry standard for proffesionals. Theres been a few big spots I've done that I've had to use Serato. I started on Serato so its no biggie for me. I haven't run across any DJ's w the type of experience I have that use Traktor(I'm nothing too special and I know they're out there) . For the most part in the US, Traktor users are very new to the DJ'n. I'm gonna guess most of them have 0-3 yrs experience total

11. Ghost_On_Da_Maschine

Ghost_On_Da_Maschine NI Product Owner

If you want to be honest there are a lot of boring club scenes in the US in the sense of what the resident DJs actually do when they play.
    Serato is a good fit because it meets those more simplistic requirements.

Don't get me wrong I still have my SL box but Serato is not my primary tool.

The thing that you have to it lose site of is club owners make change only because they are losing money or see a true way to make more.
    With that said it will take a lot to make some unlatch the Serato embolical cord.

At least more are now willing to let you patch your setup into their sound mixer when you don't use Serato.

12. Freak Show

Freak Show Forum Member

Really depends, but not the case from what I see here. Pretty much all Serato. A lot of super talented and very experienced DJs doing things that take a lot of time and experience/talent to master. Not to say there aren't any "boring" residents. The general rule of them round here, the bigger the spot, the less likely you're gonna see a DJ of reg experience, mixing A + B with not much creativity mixed in.

13. smoovemode

smoovemode Forum Member

That's the point. Most "veteran" Djs probably started with Serato and stuck with it. I would be put in that same category as a Veteran, so much so that I was still using burned CDS to DJ with, before I took a 5 year hiatus from the game. When I came back, I liked all the options that Traktor had to offer more so than Serato. When I moved to Vegas I assumed that since most of the clubs used Pioneer Mixers that Traktor would be in a "shoe in" ...nope.

One quality that gets overlooked is "less hassle". If you're not super famous a club looks down on rewiring a booth so you can play Traktor.

14. malzfreund

malzfreund NI Product Owner

cool story bra

15. smoovemode

smoovemode Forum Member

Very True! What is comes from is that "window" in the early 2000s when Djs slowly started to migrate to a DVS system. Serato was where it's at.
    ---
    I've done pretty well with Serato. My Major conern was control and it works the same with CDJs as Traktor did. I will miss the remix decks, though. Just sold my TSP certified Mixer this afternoon. No going back now:(. I believe what made the change easy is that I could export my TSP playlists to iTunes and as we all know iTunes works better with Serato anyways. But, all those cue points and what not...gone.
    ---
    Real Talk.

16. isobarxx

isobarxx Forum Member

Oh well yes, for playing gigs, I don't know anybody in HI worth a damn who will book a Traktor DJ. Nobody has the patience for the glitches. You either play CDJs or Serato.

17. djivobutnot

djivobutnot NI Product Owner

Guys, in Bulgaria (a small country where I come from) 85% of ALL the DJs are using Traktor (according to recent study), and my experience with the "big names" (you can check out our summer festivals and events in RA) 80% of them are using Traktor too. It is a total nonsense to say that noone will book Traktor DJs. There simply will be no DJs left to book.

18. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

in germany, ssl was only dominant in the hiphop scene - in the edm scene there was always a lead towards traktor scratch. but during the last, say 3-5 years that is also changing slowly. more and more hiphop DJs are migrating to traktor scratch here in germany.

19. Stazbumpa

Stazbumpa NI Product Owner

It always makes me grin when people keep saying that people don't get booked simply because they use one DJ program instead of another. What a wonderfully retarded scene that must be :cool:

20. Ricky Woofer

Ricky Woofer Account Suspended

Traktor dominates overhere to. Holland that is. Maybe 1% Serato? Def not more than 10% .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.