1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Scratching compared between 4 DVS'es

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by Scratch-E Con, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Scratch-E Con

Scratch-E Con NI Product Owner

For the turntablists out there. I stumbled across this, I don't know the guy but he sounds like an honest DJ giving his personal opinion on scratching with actual vinyl vs. Serato, Recordbox, Traktor 3 and Mixx.

2. andyfoz

andyfoz NI Product Owner

hes a pioneer shill payed and employed by pioneer

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. Scratch-E Con

Then he is certainly honest if he prefers Traktor :=p

4. andyfoz

andyfoz NI Product Owner

in this video he didnt have a choice traktor is the best and is known as the best generally in this segment, in other videos like so many of todays youtubers he shows major bias. That is ok but it should be stated at the beggining of thier videos.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. Irv_Tf

Irv_Tf NI Product Owner

Why would you trust a scratch test from a DJ not using his turntables battle style? Nothing in this video tells me he is a serious scratcher. I would need to see ultra slow tracking, super chirps, and tazers to get a good idea about how the different platforms perform.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. Scratch-E Con

Hey don't shoot the messenger...I just thought is was cool that Traktor came out on top.
    A thumbs up to NI in these difficult times. For what it's worth...

• Like Like x 1
  7. sndrsklr

sndrsklr NI Product Owner

I can only compare between Traktor and Serato and in terms of latency they both feel absolutely tight for me right out of the box. No problems with fast or slow techniques or any other fancy stuff, the only advantage I would give to Serato is the choice of control vinyl so you can find a pair that fits your style best. Even though I never had any issues with the Traktor control vinyl I still thought Serato had a little edge in terms of feeling when I tried my 72 mixer with the Serato vinyl for the very first time.

But in the end I think the quality of either software is at least "usable" like basically every mixer has a crossfader that can be used for scratching nowadays unlike 10-15 years ago when you knew that certain brands/faders should be avoided by all means. Some are still better than others obviously (depending on your needs and the company´s focus) but you can at least work with the gear/software.

8. Anti-Skating

Anti-Skating NI Product Owner

Serato control vinyl tend to be warped, so I've usually had to buy a few to get a perfect pair. Traktor on the other hand tend to be perfect flat, no flex, and they have plenty of runout groove for stickering. Rekordbox are okay, but if you tend to sticker your records, like 99,9% of turntablists, they have zero runout groove/dead space, so basically the 'switching to internal mode at runout groove' mode doesn't work, and **** starts skipping.

Rekordbox keylock (MT) is total garbage for scratching, ultra pitching things beyond -20% sound absolutely horrible, and worse than any other platform I've used (Serato, Traktor, VDJ). Even though I still prefer RB for my basic DJing needs, there really isn't a more convenient feature than Seratos sticker lock. Traktor is great for performing. I just like the different features of all the major platforms, but scratching is not that great on Rekordbox.

• Like Like x 1