1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

show key colors even though it is not the sorting column

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by NReek, Mar 29, 2013.

1. NReek

NReek NI Product Owner

please :)

currently:

1 - having track keys analyzed by traktor,
    2 - having this column (key, not key text) in the browser and,
    3 - sorting by this column,

shows a beautiful color scale applied to keys. but colors just show when key is the sorting column, why?

i don't understand why such a useful feature is limited like it is.

it would allow to, for example, quickly find a matching key while the sort field is bpm.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Audio Slave

Audio Slave NI Product Owner

Smart Playlists?

3. NReek

NReek NI Product Owner

you know they're my most wished feature, but what does this req have to do with them?

sorry, i don't get what you mean :/

4. Audio Slave

To make some multiples filters selections. (bpm/keys)?
    But you're right, I dont' talk about colors. Sorry.

5. NReek

NReek NI Product Owner

yeah, smart playlists could work to do what you say, but i meant a different thing with the request.

figure you're on a playlist with let's say a hundred tracks.
    you sort by key, and see the whole colored scale.
    now sort by bpm and colors are gone.

it's more difficult to determine which tracks have matching or related keys.

its much faster to find a color than a value, which you'd have to read.

basically the request could be summarized in a more simple way: always show key colors.
    ---
    but now i see what you meant, multiple sorting fields

6. Audio Slave

always show key colors: simply simple....
    Even if I don't use key, it's a good idea.
    ---
    I think it's time for NI for another 'Traktor on the record'.

7. mindarelus1

mindarelus1 Forum Member

8. hellnegative

hellnegative NI Product Owner

9. mindarelus1

mindarelus1 Forum Member

Add colors to BPM too :)

10. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

11. mastermc

mastermc NI Product Owner

why could native instruments not do it properly the first time ?

12. Ezmyrelda

Ezmyrelda New Member

Maybe they thought it would mess with people to always have some pretty in the track browser..

+1 To having an always show key color option.

13. mastermc

mastermc NI Product Owner

i wish NI would actually finish a feature completely before releasing an update. We should not have to ask then for color coding the key when not sorting.

14. crucial d

crucial d NI Product Owner

+1000 to colours always showing for KEY

-1000 for colours for BPM (that would be too many colours!)
    ---

15. hellnegative

hellnegative NI Product Owner

Youve got a problem with too many colors?

16. mindarelus1

mindarelus1 Forum Member

I believe you can only give +1 or -1

17. Shred'D

Shred'D New Member

I just discovered this today ... and couldn't for the life of me figure out why NI wouldn't do this from the start. It would be so easy to pick out a key based on color (which actually correspond to the camalot wheel).

Please fix this in the next update NI.

18. NReek

NReek NI Product Owner

It appears they've overlooked this simple request in 2.6.2.

19. mindarelus1

mindarelus1 Forum Member

Yes, I believe making the VU meter in the interface in red, yellow and green is also easy and simple, but for some reason they still don't do it.

20. NReek

NReek NI Product Owner

i'd appreciate to have "classic" VU meters as well. big time. and having'em split from the fader too.

day in, day out, during years, NI has proven to be a company not driven mainly by customer input, but by abstract marketing goals instead.

but the truth is that both concepts could walk along side by side, and everybody would be happy: they'd have a happy customer base, and it would expand due to both innovation and customer satisfaction.

that's the point i don't understand. why ignore sistematically without even posting a reply. and if you get in touch with customer support in these regards, i mean, beyond any technical issue, they can't confirm or deny anything.

i'd clarify, it's not that i'm completely dissatisfied with traktor it does it's job perfectly when performing.

it's that i'm dissatisfied with the lack of help/ressources both traktor and NI offer to us users when trying to be more efficient in our jobs. that is, mostly everything related to music/file management, lack of interface flexibility, and the practice of dismissing apparently simple requests without even bothering to reply properly.

if there's a technical showstopper that will delay or make impossible any given feature request, just say so and close the thread. then we'd know up to what to set our expectations, and that feeling of being ignored would disapear. along with some customers, maybe.