Smart sync

Discussion in 'Feature Request' started by Scratch-E Con, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Scratch-E Con

Scratch-E Con NI Product Owner

Example 120 BPM can sync to 60 BPM without any tempo change required.

• Like Like x 9
  2. Bert Patroons

Bert Patroons NI Product Owner

3. DJ ACTION VASQUEZ

DJ ACTION VASQUEZ NI Product Owner

this sounds like a special sync designed specifically for that double / half bpm mixing

now what if it's 120 to 70 bpm, for example, would this function still work?

4. Bert Patroons

It would bring the 120 up to 140. Which is still a bit much, but less ridiculous then going down all the way to 70.

5. DJ ACTION VASQUEZ

but that's the thing. it would have to be one smart algorithm to figure which bpm to switch up

for instance in your example, 120 to 140 = 20 bpm difference. but if it picked the 70 bpm to slow it to 60, that's only a 10 bpm difference

so how is the algorithm supposed to make that choice? maybe the function can be a user defined high / low toggle

6. Bert Patroons

You don't have to look at percentages, not BPM difference.
    If you double the grid on a 60 bpm track, and sync it to a 120 bmp track, the pitch slider will be at exactly the same percentage as when you half the 120 track and sync it to the 60 bpm track. That doesn't matter.
    So it's not that hard. I used to work with Algoriddim Djay 5 years back, and they did this back then already.

7. DJ ACTION VASQUEZ

yeah i understand the doubling / halfing, but that's when the bpm's are divisible. what happens when the bpm's are off, like in the range i specified -- 120 vs 70 bpm?

how does the program figure out which track to speed up or slow down? or is it a user selectable function?

8. hellnegative

hellnegative NI Product Owner

Serato and rekordbox both already do this, so +1 from me

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bert Patroons

I'm afraid you don't get it completely. No track is sped up when doubling the bpm.
    It just treats the 70 & 120 bpm tracks as 140 & 120 bpm tracks (or 70 & 60, doesn't matter). From there it's just like syncing other 120 & 140 bpm tracks...

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  10. reddread23

reddread23 New Member

Bert, I think it's you missing Action Vasquez's point.

Take the following example:

Track one is running at 80bpm.
    Track two can be considered as 60bpm or 120bpm...
    Does the sync decide to pitch track two up by 33.3% or down by 33.3%? Both give the result of 80bpm.

This does only happen when tracks bpm's are a third apart, but it still needs considering.

11. Bert Patroons

He said you need one smart algorithm to calculate this. But it's not that hard. Just Take the smallest percentage difference.
    Only if it's bang in the middle like your example, I would suggest it just looks at the tempo the track is originally gridded. (So If the track was gridded at 120, it would go down to 80.)
    But that is not really a real-world example, is it? :) In 99,9% of the cases it would be quite clear if it should go up or down.