1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Solved some beginner questions on maschine (controlling other synths and parameter lock)

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by paul680, Sep 14, 2019.

1. paul680

paul680 New Member

I was looking around for potential hardware that could do what elektron devices do with their parameter lock functions. I saw a mention of the maschine line of products having this capability and it got me wondering about the potential of maschine to be able to control other synths this way. I saw that some maschine products can control midi functions of other hardware synths, but only specific synths? I have some volca's and I have thought it would be really fun to try some parameter lock experiments with maybe a maschine and those devices? but I am a little confused as to whether this is possible with one maschine device? are there any devices in the maschine product line (either current or legacy) that can perform both of these functions?

2. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Hello,

yes this should be possible you will then maybe need a midi splitter if you have more than one volca or whatever synth, cause the volcas have no midi through, then set them to different midi channels. Here are also some presets inside for volcas but you can of course make your own and save them.
    https://support.native-instruments....s-zur-Steuerung-externer-Hardware-Instrumente
    And maybe he can help you further, he´s also here in the forum under the same name, but in the video he shows triggering notes and apply fx but you can also use maschine encoders + parameter locks to control volcas afaik - and i really would recommend to read the implementation charts first to see what you can control and what not!!

there is also for every volca a midi implementation chart you will need that if there is no preset and you have to make your own, then you will see how you have to set the macro in maschine (CC 44 for filter cutof e.g.) to control function xyz - i would really recommend to read the midi implementation charts first there you´ll of course also see what is actually mappable - volca bass filter cutoff is not!! only via envelop generator

Uwe

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  3. paul680

paul680 New Member

Hi Uwe

Thanks, that is good to know the volcas can be controlled via midi, I have the sample and kick. I downloaded the midi presets for external devices file and had a look. if I have an external device which isn't listed would this not be supported by maschine? or does this mean I just need to make a preset file?
    Just so I understand correct, this will work with any maschine hardware? or just maschine studio?

4. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

yes it will work with every midi mappable device that uses standard midi cc - you then have just to make your own preset with the macros

Uwe

• Like Like x 1
  5. paul680

paul680 New Member

Hi again

thanks, so I can do this with which maschine hardware? mark 3, mark 2 , mark 1? mikro models?

6. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

With mk1, mk2, mk3 and studio but with mikro i don't know and it wouldn't make much sense cause of the missing 8 knobs.

Uwe

• Like Like x 1
  7. Blindeddie

Blindeddie NI Product Owner

you can do it with the Mikro as well, you just have to use the arrow keys ( on the controller) to scroll through the individual knobs on the screen and the selected knob is then controlled by the single encoder on the Mikro.

Peace,

Blindeddie

• Like Like x 2