1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Starting Pattern loop at bar 2

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by DJ EL-TOPO, Jan 6, 2013.

1. DJ EL-TOPO

DJ EL-TOPO NI Product Owner

I'm not sure if this is painfully obvious but I can't find it in the manual...

So, I have been an mpc user for years but JUST converted so I can make beats and drag them straight into traktor without having to track out from the mpc, jj os had a very nice feature where you could say have one track/pattern to loop from bar 1 to bar 4, then the next track/pattern could be set to loop from bar 3 to bar 4 or whatever like bar 2 to bar 3. I used to use this feature all the time for creating little fills and stunts. I've only been on maschine for a total of 3 hours now so I'm hoping I'm being blind and such a feature is right in front of my eyes?

Please help!

Thank you.

2. trux

trux NI Product Owner

hmm sorry man but i think you'll have to manually put that kinda stuff into your patterns/scenes.

3. DJ EL-TOPO

Hey, thanks for the reply!

Ok cool no worries, I'm sure once I get fast on maschine it'll be second nature to cut and nudge events forwards and backwards to create the same thing as in my mpc. All these minor problems (mainly personally speaking) with the maschine are instantly wiped out anyway just by the fact that I can drag and drop beats from a pattern into a traktor deck! Amazing!

Thanks again.
    ---
    My simple workaround ( incase anyone is interested in the kind of stuff) is.......say I've got a 4 bar loop, copy it to 4 new patterns then cut all but bar 1, then all but bar 2, then all but bar 3 etc then I can place these on patterns up out of the way and call on them when needed. It's good for messing with vocal samples and getting stutter kind of fx before going into a new pattern.

4. DJ EL-TOPO

I totally hope N.I put this feature in their next update , I just ran into another brick wall. I always used to edit drums or events bar by bar so I'd set a single bar to loop at a time so like bar 3 to loop continuously and when I'd finished adding all the ghost notes or editing bass notes etc I'd move onto bar 4 and do the same. I can't actually believe that you can't stop the pattern sequencer from going back to the 1st bar? Surely I'm missing something?

5. trux

trux NI Product Owner

not familiar with that workflow, maybe making lots of single bar patterns/scenes would help. the < and > arrows on the hardware controller let you move around within patterns, but no looping inside patterns :/

6. DJ EL-TOPO

Yeah thanks for the tip, I'm slowly but surely figuring out the maschine, an yeah the work flow is probably a strange 1 but it's from using grid edit in the mpc2500 with jj os. It is so fast, you just click left and right to skip through single looping bars to make fine edits so you're not waiting for the loop to come all the way round again to hear the hit or event that you want to edit. Def a good way if you want to make fine adjustments within one bar or something.

Ah well, I'll get there. These forums are a massive help. I'd probably still be frantically looking in the manual now because I just assumed it would be possible on maschine.

Thanks for the reply!

7. astronaut

astronaut Forum Member

Do you mean that tracks in one sequence can have different strt and end points? I have JJos2XL and that's not possible. The loop setting affects all tracks in a sequnce.

8. DJ EL-TOPO

Sorry I meant sequence. I'm getting confused. 2 many manuals and forums for 1 day.