1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Still got some pops....

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by SoulLifter, Nov 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jap_

Jap_ New Member

Hey SoulLifter - Sorry to hear that you're still working to resolve these issues...

I got fed up with VISTA personally and tried most everything that has been suggested...

For your XP issue you'll need to install the Intel AHCI chipset drivers for your SATA HDD or change your SATA controller to emulate legacy IDE. The later will allow you to install XP without any hassle and you can make the change easily in your BIOS setup.

I personally recommend that you use AHCI to get the full benefit and speed of SATA2 but, it may be a bit of work to get it going.

The difficulty with XP and AHCI support is that you need to have a floppy drive (unlikely) or you'll need to slip the chipset drivers into the XP installation. You can use nlite which is pretty easy to use. This software will also slipstream SP3 which makes updating the OS a lot quicker.

http://www.nliteos.com/

The Intel SATA drivers you need to add to the installation are located here:

Intel SATA Driver Download

If you have any questions about any of this let me know and I'll try to help.

Best,
    Jap_

2. SoulLifter

SoulLifter Forum Member

Hey Jap_,

Thanks for the reply. Before I give up on this laptop, I do want to give XP a whirl. If TS works on XP works fine, then mission accomplished. Otherwise, I need a new laptop.

So--I'm a novice at XP installs. When the XP setup loads from my install DVD -- and the blue setup screen pops up -- do I hit F6? Then I put the path in of the SATA driver? It's strange that it can't find my hard drives (I have one HD, with 2 partitions -- one partition I just formatted so as to install XP.)

I'd rather not emulate. So do I use this NLITE in the XP setup process? After I hit F6? How is NLITE different from the SATA Driver?

Thanks for your patience with me on this one. I look forward to your reply so I can test this out!

3. Jap_

Jap_ New Member

Ideally this is where you would hit F6 to load your SATA drivers but, there is no easy way to do this with a laptop unless yours has a floppy drive. The reason that you cannot locate your hard drive is due to Windows XP not having the necessary SATA drivers to mount it.

Alternatively, you can use the nlite to add the Intel drivers to the installation. As I mentioned you can also add SP3 to speed up the update process after the install completes.

I'd recommend following the instructions on this site for using nlite.

http://lifehacker.com/386526/slipstream-service-pack-3-into-your-windows-xp-installation-cd

The drivers and service pack you want to integrate with your installation are here:

Intel SATA drivers

Intel Wireless Drivers

WinXP SP3

Basically you'll be creating a new WinXP installation CD with the drivers you need to get up and running.

Let me know if you run into any snags.

Jap_

4. SoulLifter

SoulLifter Forum Member

Ok I'm installing XP! Thanks for the advice. So far, so good.

I'm stuck on a screen though which says "Installing applications..." and "Please wait up to 30 minutes for installation to complete."

Well it's been over an hour and that same screen is flashing. At first I thought it was a virus but I read on the 'net that it is patching XP with Service Packs and updates but it sure is taking a lot longer than 30 minutes. My HD light is lighting up though so it seems there is some activity.

Anyone seen this behavior?

5. SoulLifter

SoulLifter Forum Member

XP finally got installed. First thing I do was to check the latency monitor: no dice. Same issue still is occuring.

I've got to install a lot of old XP device drivers for my new laptop and then will check the audio in TS but I'm running out of hope.

6. SoulLifter

SoulLifter Forum Member

Well I tried to return to laptop to Dell and they would not take it back as it's been over 21 days. Now I'm stuck with it. :(

I am having trouble getting XP to work well because I can't find the XP drivers for stuff like my ATI Mobility Radeon card. Dell's support site does not have XP drivers for the Studio laptop line it seems.

As I said, though, the spikes continue to happen in XP with the bare bones installed.

7. Jap_

Jap_ New Member

Hey SoulLifter

You can mod one of the drivers available from the ATI site using the mobility modder tool.

http://driverheaven.net/modtool.php

Just download the latest Catalyst driver from the site and follow the instructions.

http://ati.amd.com/support/radeonx-xp.html

What other drivers do you need?

Have you checked DPC with your Wireless, ethernet, Ricoh smart card etc. drivers/devices disabled?

What applications do you have running in the background?

Best,
    Jap_

8. SoulLifter

SoulLifter Forum Member

Hey Jap_ (and all)

I'm impressed with your recomendations and knowledge. thank you! :)

Let me also say I got excited when Dell relased a BIOS update for my laptop yesterday. I flashed it but nothing changed.

I do want to mention that when I'm running Vista (even with Anti-Virus on) -- if I set the USB buffersize in TS to 3/4 and the audio buffersize to 7/8 -- I get pretty near perfect playback -- even with the latency spikes. I only get a pop every minute or so. I can't lower either number or else I get the "pops" back on every spike of the latency.

I still think I can solve this -- even if no one else has.

I really wanted a new driver for my "dell wireless 1397 half mini card" so I could get on the 'net and update my XP drivers, Windows Update, etc. I can't seem to find one.

Is disabling a device good enough? Or do I actually have to uninstall it and reboot to notice the difference? I've disabled most everything and the spike continues to occur. I think the NI tech guy said that the driver is still running even if you disable it -- you need to uninstall it -- is that true? If so, everytime I uninstall something and reboot -- Windows automatically re-installs it.

For this new XP install -- I've pretty much got nothing running in the background. BTW -- my latency is better in general in XP -- minus the spike, of course.

The new video driver works great in XP thanks to you also.

It would be great if I could see if this latency spike was going on in DOS somehow -- or outside of Windows -- either version.

I have a lot of "?" items that XP discovered in device manager but I disabled all of them (fingerprint reader, internal sound card, etc.) Wireless is obviously off right now.

What do you suggest?

9. SoulLifter

SoulLifter Forum Member

I just learned something. Seems that this laptop may be suffering from an inferior Firewire chipset -- which may be causing the latency spikes.

How can I disable this to check it out? What is Firewire anyway?

10. chilly

chilly Returning Customer

11. Jap_

Jap_ New Member

hah.. thats a cool site Chilly.:)

Hey SoulLifter - You can download drivers for your Wireless here: DELL Wireless 1397 half mini card drivers

You raise a good point about disabling devices. Generally it should be enough to disable the device in Device Manager but, that may not totally prevent the driver from being loaded by Windows.

So something else you could do or at least test is to boot into your system BIOS (usually DEL, F2 or F12 right after your system is powered ON) and disable devices you don't need.

I have disabled my Firewire, Ethernet and Smart Card reader in the BIOS.

I'd suggest you uninstall the device in DevMan and then restart into your system BIOS and disable it there.

Jap_

12. SoulLifter

SoulLifter Forum Member

Chilly that was funny. Just saw your link -- Zonealarm blocks tinyurl for some reason. I realized it was a lame question after I asked it.

Jap_ -- I tried installing that network driver you provided the link for but it didn't work with XP. I guess it was for Vista. I'm having trouble tracking down an XP version as I said.

I uninstalled all network cards from control panel in XP then set anything wireless or network-related to OFF in my BIOS. Spike still happens.

I do notice that I have a couple of interesting options in my BIOS. One is "Flash Cache Module" and the other is "AHCI" or "ATA" SATA operation. It's on AHCI right now, with the Flash Cache Module on as well.

I tried changing it to ATA but it said my OS may not boot then. Your thoughts about this setting causing a latency spike?

I'm really not sure what else to do now. I can get my latency down to about 100 ms if I disable pretty much everything in Control Panel -- save the 5500 ms spikes every 5 seconds.

13. Jap_

Jap_ New Member

Not sure why that driver wouldn't install... it seems to have the right support for XP. You could try manually installing it through your Device Manager. Select update driver on the device and point directly to the DRIVER folder.

Your BIOS should be set to AHCI to see the best performance from your hard drive. I don't think this would be the cause for that spike.

Definitely try disabling the Flash Cache Module option.

14. SoulLifter

SoulLifter Forum Member

JAP_ --

I found something interesting here on a German forum (http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translat...age;topic=14561.0&lp=de_en&btnTrUrl=Translate) -- translated from German to English from Babel Fish. It seems this guy had the same problem but got it FIXED from Dell's support. Something about WLAN map exchange?

Can you check it out and see if you follow it? Looks like this has great potential with my problem...

Thanks!

15. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

This is turning into a bit of an epic isn't it? In some cases, these latency issues can stop people simply listening to MP3s on media player! It confounds me that we have these amazing computers computing at gadzillions of cycles per second, and yet due to sloppy software and hardware architecture we can't listen to the results!

16. Jap_

Jap_ New Member

Hey SoulLifter - I'm not really able too follow it to well. :confused:

I'm not sure what exactly they're referring to with the WLAN map exchange but, I think they may be talking about changing your wireless mode setting for the wireless network adapter.

Go to your device manager and open the properties for your wireless adapter.... well I'm not sure, did you ever get wireless installed and working in XP?

If so check for setting similar to what I've highlighted in the image:

Wireless_Properties.JPG

If you haven't been able to install the wireless drivers then try disabling it all together in the system BIOS. It seems that some of the discussion was talking about issues with the BIOS programming for the DELL wireless.. not sure but give it a try.

Jap_

17. SoulLifter

SoulLifter Forum Member

Jap_

I just tried messing with some of those settings you mentioned with no effect. I did, miraculously, post an English message in the German forum for help. Seems a lot of people have Studio 15 questions. I'll keep ya posted. :)

If you want to follow, here it is:

http://www.notebookcheck.com/forum/index.php/topic,16583.0.html

18. SimonStokes

SimonStokes NI Product Owner

Hi SoulLifter,

I've been following your issues as I have been experiencing some sort of problems with my Dell as well - nothing overly serious but some crackles and dropouts here and there. Whilst my graphics card is an Nvidia, I hope that the following info might be useful to you and help you find the ATI equivalent:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=261929&page=2

It involves using the registry to disable any powersaving modes that may be put into place on your GFX card. In my case, the glitches were coming from the GPU core being dropped in speed and this fix helped. Hope you can find something similar...I feel for ya man. :)

19. SoulLifter

SoulLifter Forum Member

Hey guys. I'm back. I tried some various fixes suggested here but still suffering from the same problem though. Seems like others are having the same issues even if Dell denies there is a problem:

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19245700/19384488.aspx#19384488

I guess I may think about EBAYing the laptop and -- gasp -- getting an Apple. PC Laptops now scare me.

Anyone somehow think of a solution in the past month or so? :)

20. FIDEI

FIDEI NI Product Owner

Ditto Squared

I have been reading everything on every post in everyforum and i have the the same problem with my studio 17 inch with vista and my audio 8 . The only things i didnt try were the unsigned driver recomended in one of the notebook forums that were listed in this thread. I think that driver would only fix the dropouts and crakling when using the internet anyway. also i didnt change any of my bios settings. i am trying to understand what the german forum is recommending so I can call dell(which i have and with no help..they wont help me do a dual boot or reduce my background processes )I am not a computer savvy guy but I know my basics. I have a ticket with N.I. and just gave them my detailed system information as per .....here is the email....In order to further investigate this issue, we need more information about
    your computer system.

Please follow the instructions below to create a system information file and
    send it back to us.

Windows XP
    Go to START --> RUN --> type "msinfo32" --> OK
    Once the System Information window appears, please select --> FILE --> Export

Windows Vista
    Go to START --> type in the START SEARCH : msinfo32.exe --> press Enter
    Once the System Information window appears, please select --> FILE --> Export

These steps will create (save) a text file on your computer. Please note where
    you save this document, the desktop is always a good place. Then please attach
    it to your email reply.

Vangelis
    Native Instruments Support Team...

I wish i could just send this identify the problem..Driver...bios...whatever and then bring it to a Computer tech or mail to N.I. to fix. Trust me I'm on the verge of ebay for this PC and plugging my Delll Latitude in for now with XP.
    Question does anyone just have that popping noise evry 30 seconds or so and otherwise its ok? If sso what do you think the main cause might be.... I am going to run a dpc now will let you know the results of that and what N.I gets back to me. the Rep i'm working with is very good and I hope we can resolve this. Its been three months now and this is the last week then I shelve this "new studio 17" and plug the pold one in until they figure it out...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.