1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Massive X, Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Still got some pops....

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by SoulLifter, Nov 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rao-ok

rao-ok Forum Member

I realise that this is an obvious and please ignore me and please think what a doofus for pointing out someting so basic. But you are turning the wireless off using the button at the top of your keyboard? I tried disabling the wireless in the device manager on my Vista PC (Acer laptop) and it may no difference. But when I switch it off all my problems are solved. I told you it was stupid. :confused:

Hope you sort your issues

2. TeLLy

TeLLy NI Product Owner Extraordinaire

^^ helpful doofus.

3. m-audio_vst

m-audio_vst Forum Member

PLEASE HELP ME :(

I'm really not good at computers, finding it hard to understand all this computer talk (lol i know) any way I really want to stop the pooping sound thats happening cause I have a gig coming up In the next week.

I'm using TPS, Audio 8
    my laptop is Dell Vostro V1710 Intel Core Due CPU
    T5870 @ 2.00GHz, 2.99GB of RAM
    CDJ100's & DJM600

It wont stop popping every 50seconds or so, or while im mixing (playing two tracks at same time)

Im not sure how to change my settings, what my settings are
    so if anyone who knows how to solve this problem please wb

(what I know so far about my settings)
    Audio setup = Audio Device Audio 8 (ChA, Out 1/2)(8 In, 8 Out)
    Sample Rate 44100 Hz
    Audio Latency = 30.ms

Timcode Setup = Chanenel B = (roughly) L 2.03/4..... & R 2.05/6
    Deck Cache Size = 128mb (2166mb available)
    Key Lock Quality = HiQ (Fast CPU)

Any Ideads... Much Respect

Pete

4. chilly

chilly Returning Customer

Change your key quality, or turn it off all together. and raise that latency.

5. SoulLifter

SoulLifter Forum Member

Unfortunately, I have disabled all network and wi-fi options both in the BIOS and in device manager and this continuous latency spike continues to occur. My guess is it's not networking-related now. It has to be something low-level.

Did I mention I tried the new Dell Wi-Fi driver they just released on 1/12/09? No luck. And it supposedly was a fix for audio-related issues.

This latency spike is not purely audio-related. It just impacts my audio when it spikes. It impacts the whole laptop when it spikes.

6. m-audio_vst

m-audio_vst Forum Member

I did i moved the latency up a bit I think around 40... still getting a poping or skip every 30 maybe 40 seconds.... Please help guys have a gig on sat :(

7. chilly

40 latency? i was talking like 10 or 12.

did you drop the keylock or turn it off?

8. m-audio_vst

m-audio_vst Forum Member

ohhhhhhhhh lol :cool:

kk have it at 13 now! not as much poping, oh wait still popping :(
    not as bad doh

and yes key lock is off

9. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

I may be reading the above to literally but are you online whilst you are testing your system for pops etc. (sounds like your replying whilst testing) if your wireless card or whatever is connected this could be a major cause of pops.
    Just a suggestion.

10. m-audio_vst

m-audio_vst Forum Member

oh kk, il turn it off for a few let you no how I get on

11. SoulLifter

SoulLifter Forum Member

disable all networking options in both the BIOS and the control panel. That helps with the big drop out that occured every 30 seconds or so. Esp with Wi-Fi Lan card needs to be disabled.

12. jbarker4682

jbarker4682 New Member

Hi There... which button do you mean?
    ---
    Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a Dell Studio 17 for home audio recording... and I've spend the last few weeks digging further and further into this problem. Like a lot of others, I've use DPC Latency Checker and XPerf to try and identify the source of the issue, but not seeing a lot of correlation between the two. I've disabled everything possible, both in BIOS and in Device Manager, and while the overall average DPC usually are great once I do, there is still this one HUGE spike (according to DCPLat) that occurs exactly every 60 seconds, and matches perfectly with audio drop-outs in my DAW.

I recently sent an email to the guys at Thesycon, asking if they would be willing to release the source code for DPCLat so I can try and dig-in to what is really going on.

I also loaded Windows 7 Beta onto a new partition, and while again I see overall improvements, I still get this one spike every 60 seconds.

If I could just identify the SOURCE of this spike, at least I'd know what I'm dealing with...

Grrr... talk about frustrating...

13. SoulLifter

SoulLifter Forum Member

Update:

I decided to fork over $50 and pay for Dell's Premium Tech service so I could talk to someone in America who can understand me.

They have all the details from this forum post and mutliple other sites and are researching it. I get a call-back Monday -- I'm hopeful they will come up with something.

If not, EBAY ahoy and time to cut my losses and get a new laptop.

Wish me/us luck!

14. jbarker4682

jbarker4682 New Member

Found workaround...

Hello all,

Well, I haven't heard back yet from the guys that made DPC Latency Checker (DPCLat), but I've found a work-around that works for me...

It actually turns out that there were two items that were causing my spike... both the Wi-Fi card and the Ricoh Firewire chipset (maybe they share the same bus?). Anyhow, if I disable both of these and turn everything off, my latencies (per DPCLat) only spike into the 3000-4000us (3-4ms) range... just to be safe, I set my samplerate in Cubase to force a 30ms buffer, and was finally able to link all my devices together and transmit both audio / midi simultaneously between them without any noticeable pops, clicks or drop-outs.

Granted, this was only for 5 or 6 channels, so it still remains to be seen whether this will continue work as I put more demand on it, but hopefully it should cover me until I can afford to put together a custom desktop system. Once I do, I'll convert the laptop into a development box instead.

Good luck SoulLifter... I'll keep tabs on this and your other threads and if Dell comes up with a new BIOS or driver update that improves the latency, let us all know, yeah?

Thanks!

15. SoulLifter

SoulLifter Forum Member

jbarker,

I'm not familiar with Cubase -- is that a plug-in for Traktor Scratch?

I'm happy you get positive results from disabling those two items but I've disabled EVERYTHING in the BIOS, as I said before, and still get that 5k latency spike.

If I put the buffersize too high in TS, it seems to cause songs to "hang" or pause for a split second, noticeably, intermittently. It's subtle, but annoying.

I shouldn't have to tell TS that my system is sub-par when it most defnitely is not. I almost have to tell TS that I have a "crippled" system just to get it to play, thanks to this spike.

Even 3-4k in spikes is just plain unacceptable. Why should consumers suffer with this when we paid good money for these laptops? I don't want to be at a gig with this "gimped" setup and have the littlest thing cause a problem, that's for sure.

16. jbarker4682

jbarker4682 New Member

Hey SoulLifter,

I agree with you... but sometimes you got to try and make the best of a situation...

I still have many 4-5ms spikes, but with the buffer set, I at least have a work-around that lets me keep working and learning until I can afford to get a system desinged for audio recording... I'm not doing anything professionally yet, so for me, this is as good as I can get it...

Anyhow, good luck with your fight... I hope you get it resolved!

(ps. Cubase is a digital audio workstation... kind of like Pro Tools, but not as expensive... see Cubase 4

17. SoulLifter

SoulLifter Forum Member

Unfortunately you know how this story ends. The Dell tech was a capable guy who tried to learn about Traktor Scratch, DPCs and buffer sizing but the problem continues. Dell can't troubleshoot this issue unfortunately so we are all out of luck unless someone figures it out on their own. I still get the pops no matter what I do.

Since I most likely can't return it (I have one more option up my sleeve to try first) it's time for EBAY and I guess, shudder, a Mac. Hell has frozen over. PCs have me miffed at the moment now. And my friend has no trouble with his Mac and Traktor.

The last 3 months I've been trying to fix this issue. I'm over it. Time to move on. If you are in the return window, return the laptop while you can.
    Good luck to you all.

P.S. JBarker - What settings do you have in your TS control panel for your work around? USB buffersize? Audio buffersize? I'm at 3 and 7, respectively. The NI tech said it's not good for performance to go over 10 total -- between the two numbers. I'm at 11.

P.S.S. I notice that the pops get worse as time goes on. When I boot up the computer and start paying initially, I don't have any pops. Then they show up big time about 30 minutes into using TS. If I change the buffersize on the Audio 8 to something comporable -- the Audio 8 resets and the pops disappear for yet another 30 mins... I don't know what it means. I don't think I care enough to delve any further into this though...

18. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

Last thing - a few people are reporting performance improvements with Windows 7 beta - I know its not supported yada yada yada. But as a last throw of the dice...

19. chilly

Just don't post here when you have issues with Pro and Windows 7 BETA

20. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

Well the dude's tried everything else so why not give it a whirl?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.