1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

take that you windows beaachis :)

Discussion in 'General DJ Forum' started by RoxyDJJulio, Apr 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoxyDJJulio

RoxyDJJulio NI Product Owner

Apple introduces 17-inch MacBook Pro
    By Peter Cohen

Apple on Monday introduced the 17-inch version of its Intel-powered MacBook Pro. The new laptop computer will start shipping next week for $2,799.

The 17-inch MacBook Pro features a 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo processor. It has a 667MHz front side bus (FSB) and 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM expandable to 2GB.

Like the 15-inch MacBook Pro, the 17-inch model features a built-in iSight video camera and Apple’s vaunted MagSafe Power Adapter, which disconnects from the notebook when there is strain on the power cord. It also includes Apple’s Sudden Motion Sensor, which protects the hard drive in case the laptop is dropped.

The 17-inch MacBook Pro features a display that’s 36 percent brighter than before — 300 cd/m2 brightness, according to Apple. It uses ATI’s Mobility Radeon X1600 graphics chip with 256MB of dedicated GDDR3 graphics memory. The laptop also includes an illuminated keyboard with ambient light sensor.

The MacBook Pro weighs 6.8 pounds and is one inch tall when the screen is closed. Apple claims the MacBook Pro is up to five times as fast as its PowerBook G4 predecessor, and uses RAM that’s twice as fast as the PowerBook G4.

The 17-inch MacBook Pro touts a Scrolling Trackpad, FireWire 800 and FireWire 400 ports, three USB 2.0 ports, optical and digital audio input and output, Gigabit Ethernet, ExpressCard/34 expansion slot, dual-link Digital Visual Interface (DVI) for connecting an external monitor (including Apple’s 30-inch Cinema HD Display), built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) and integrated AirPort Extreme 54 Mbps wireless networking.

The 17-inch MacBook Pro comes with iLife ‘06 and the latest version of Tiger.

The $2,799 laptop comes with 1GB of RAM, 120GB Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive and 8x SuperDrive with double-layer support. Additional build-to-order options include 100GB hard drive, up to 2GB RAM, Apple USB modem and AppleCare.

2. nem0nic

nem0nic Forum Member

Nice, but what does a monitor have to do with your OS choice? Acer, Toshiba, Dell, Asus, and even M-Tech all make Windows based 17" laptops. I know the Dell and Toshiba both come in dual core flavors, but not sure about the rest.

Did I miss something?

3. boysteve

boysteve NI Product Owner

Jesus, are we gonna start whacking this ancient pinata again?

4. lancota

lancota NI Product Owner

*whack**whack**whack**whack**whack**whack**whack**whack**whack**whack**whack**whack**whack**whack*

5. RoxyDJJulio

@nem0nic
    Yes! :)
    @boysteve, lancota
    LoL!

6. pixeltrance

pixeltrance Forum Member

Only if there is a picture of Bill Gates painted on one side of the Pinata and a picture of Steve Jobs on the other side!
    Now choose which side to whack!!!

7. PhilL

PhilL Moderator Moderator

"Nail 'em UP I Say!!!! Nail some bloody sense into 'em"
    When the revolution comes, they're the first against the wall!!!! Right behind MPAA and RIAA A-holes... record compny execs, The inventors of Rootkits, DRM designers and Computer Bigots ;) Did I miss anyone? Forum mods perhaps?

Phil

8. PhilL

And Message on Phone Say "For you... NO LAPTOP....

this weekend....."

That mennee big suckeee...

Bloody thing is still down in San Jose presumably getting briefed by Steve-O on how to takeover and cast asunder all PC's it encounters upon arrival , before finding its way up here next week.

Did I mention that mennee big suckeee!!! was all primed and ready too. !@$!@#%#%&%^*~#!#@Y#$^#&$^*&!!!!!

Since its supposed to be here today, I asked about the possibility it might actually show up tomorrow; I was advised that was slightly less likely than a freezeover hitting hell tonight. I checked the weather there, it does seem somewhat unlikely given its forecast smokey windy and hot (but will get down to 838 Deg tonight)

Sucks Man!

9. beta247

beta247 NI Product Owner

can't imagine touring with a 17" laptop, half the time there's barely enough room for mine. the apple/windows debate is weak, just like the rane/fs one. 2 different things that enable you to do the exact same thing...stop worrying about what you have or what the other has and get down to the heart of the matter and play music already.

10. nem0nic

nem0nic Forum Member

In the grand tradition of throwing gasoline on a fire, I bring you...

Cooking with your MacBook Pro!
    http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/01/macbook-pros-overheating-due-to-thermal-grease/

Got enough on there guys? Here's Apple's response...
    http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/06/05/06/2045255.shtml

That's some fine customer service right there. The good news is that you no longer need to buy a sandwich press, as the MBP will make a tasty grilled cheese all by itself.

**this post brought to you by a only slightly warm Dell laptop**

11. RoxyDJJulio

@nem0nic
    Now were having fun! :)

@beta247
    "stop worrying about what you have or what the other has and get down to the heart of the matter and play music already."

How Profound, You Should Masturbate More and Type Less!

12. kaaos

kaaos Forum Member

AN FRANCISCO, May 7 (Reuters) - Intel Corp. INTC on Sunday christened its new chips for laptop and desktop computers "Core 2 Duo," hoping to reignite interest in its products amid tough competition from rival Advanced Micro Devices Inc. AMD.
    Formerly known as Conroe and Merom, the microchips boast two processing cores, meaning they are better at handling several tasks at once, such as crunching a spreadsheet while playing video.
    The world's biggest maker of computer chips also said it will launch a new premium processor, dubbed "Core 2 Extreme," for high-performance enthusiasts.
    Intel says the chips are faster yet use less energy than previous processors, such as its flagship Pentium 4.
    Intel's microprocessors are used in more than 80 percent of personal computers, but the company has been losing market share to AMD and has seen shrinking profitability for several quarters in a row.

,"

13. nem0nic

nem0nic Forum Member

All in good fun. I'm actually looking for a used Mac to learn the OS on, because I'm moving more into post where I work and their PT rigs are all Mac based. I was thinking about a first generation Mac Mini ($500 is my limit for the whole deal, including monitor, and that seems to be the best option).

I DO find Apple's response dissapointing, though. I'm normally a fan of the company (especially regarding their stand against the music industry). But I've been a member of SA for a long time, and this response reminds me that when it all boils down, Apple is just a company like any other big company. They care for their customers as long as money is coming their way, and would rather sweep their mistakes under a rug and keep their revenue stream up instead of admitting their mistakes and being honest with their customer base.

14. PhilL

There is a rumor (and I do stress its a rumor) that there is a recall out for some (or more) 17" McCook Pro Laptops Me wonders if mine got caught up in that fiasco? I really don't know what the deal is at this point.

Phil

15. kaaos

kaaos Forum Member

looks like new DUO microarchitecture for PC are just around the corner. Any word on their performance vs the MAc version?

I was thinking mac for my next laptop but this changes everything for me

-------------------------------------------------

ANTA CLARA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 8, 2006--The Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo processor is the new brand for Intel Corporation's upcoming powerful and more energy-efficient processor families for desktop and laptop computers that will arrive in the third quarter, the company announced today.
    Formerly codenamed Conroe and Merom, the Intel Core2 Duo processors for desktop and notebooks PCs respectively are based on the newly designed Intel(R) Core(TM) microarchitecture and will include two processing cores -- or brains -- per chip, hence the "Duo" addition. Intel will also call its highest performing processor for enthusiast and gamers the Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme processor.
    These ground-breaking processors will be built on Intel's advanced 65-nanometer design and manufacturing process technology that shrinks a processor's circuitry and transistors. This combination will deliver higher-performing, yet more energy-efficient processors that will spur more capable, stylish, silent and smaller mobile and desktop PCs while saving on electricity usage.
    "With this unified PC and notebook brand and microarchitecture, everyone will have a simple way to choose the most powerful and energy-efficient processors in the world, and developers will be able to more easily write optimized software just once for a variety of computing segments," said Eric Kim, Intel senior vice president and chief marketing officer. "We want these processors to be the heart and soul of computers that are increasingly bringing magic to our digital lifestyles."
    Having a common microarchitecture for the consumer, gaming, notebook and business desktop market segments makes it easier for computer developers to create more efficient software applications and can share capabilities across all categories if necessary.
    The dual-core processors will include the industry's largest integrated cache or memory reservoir called Intel(R) Advanced Smart Cache that includes a unique design for faster performance on memory intensive applications. The products will also support such features as enhanced security, virtualization and manageability built right into the processors.
    Consumers and businesses will also be able to purchase these processors as part of Intel's market-focused platforms, a collection of Intel hardware and software technology innovation designed and tested together and tailored to specific computing needs. Intel offers wireless computing, in-home entertainment or business productivity platforms through the company's Intel(R) Centrino(R) Duo mobile technology, Intel(R) Viiv(TM) technology and Intel(R) vPro(TM) technology brands respectively, all of which are powered by versions of these new processors.
    Starting with these new brands, the "2" will signal the arrival of a new generation of technology to the Intel Core processor line. In order to be consistent with current Intel Core processor naming, Intel will continue to use such terms as "Duo" to creatively and effectively indicate the number of processing cores per product.
    Intel, the world leader in silicon innovation, develops technologies, products and initiatives to continually advance how people work and live. Additional information about Intel is available at www.intel.com/pressroom.

Intel, the Intel logo, Intel Centrino, Intel Viiv, Intel vPro, Intel Xeon, and Intel Core are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.

16. PhilL

Core 2 is quite a bit faster than Core (Sorry I don't have the numbers here). Conroe (Core 2) is even faster than the AMD FX60 when running at higher clock rates. The Benchmarks observed by experts at IDC were impressive and verified authentic at the time taken. Identical numbers were taken on the FX60 and were 16-20% slower even though the FX60 Clock was a good deal faster.

You want platform flexibility. the buying decision should be about which side of the fence provides the most platform flexibility. Today the only platform that does that is MAC with Boot Camp or Parallels.

Phil

17. gmint

gmint NI Product Owner

I hear what you're saying but one thing that MANY people forget is that what Apple publishes and what you get when you actually interact with them (especially at an Apple Store) is often a VERY different thing. Seriously, I've had SO many GREAT experiences with the Apple store personnel it's just unbelievable. I don't know about others, but at my local store, they will just bend over backwards to help you. For example, I bought a set of lanyard headphones for my iPod nano. After a bit, they developed a little bit of distortion on one side. Very faint, and only at certain frequencies, but annoying (at least to my ears) none the less. So, I took them back to the Apple Store. The guy listened to them for about two seconds, and happily gave me a brand new set. No receipt needed. Not even an ID. Nothing. Just a straight swap. I've heard many other people say exactly the same thing. And, don't forget, this is a FREE service.

My bet is that if you had an overly hot MBP and took it to the Apple Store, you would walk out with a new machine in the time it would take to transfer your files. Is that something that you can get from Gateway, HP, Acer, et. al.? Not as far as I know...

18. PhilL

I had to swap out my Ipod 60 when it died a couple of months back it was a total breeze. In, bang, and out new iPod in hand. excellent service!

Phil

19. nem0nic

nem0nic Forum Member

Oh I'm not saying that their customer service isn't good. It was recently rated highest among computer makers (followed closely by Lenovo). But I AM saying that they (Apple) would rather squash news of this bug and deal with the aftermath of replacing or fixing their problems after the sale, rather than admitting they put out a faulty product and possibly slow sales of the MBP while people wait for a problem free revision to be made.

ANYONE who has ever built a PC knows that the amount of thermal paste Apple put on those computers (and subsequently published in their Genius Bar repair guide) is WAY too much. Why can't a company both fix their problems and be truthfull to their customer base? I find the whole business of legal threats against someone that helped other users fix Apple's shoddy work a reminder that they (like any other business) are just in it for the money. I don't necessarily knock them for that, but it does put all that Mac hyperbole in perspective.

I WILL still own one, because in my line of work I'm exposed to them enough that it behooves me to know about the OS in depth. But I will never buy into their image, any more than I buy into Microsoft's or vote a straight ticket.

20. gmint

gmint NI Product Owner

I agree that this isn't necessarily the best call to make in the same way that I think that NI shouldn't do this. However, I do think that there is a fine line there since, as a company, it's hard to come out and say, for example "we acknowledge problem x,y,z, even though combined they only affect .05% of users" when the vast majority of users will get the ultimate news from the press and it will be more like "today, company x acknowledged that its new product has three major flaws."

Your own statement is a good example:

Is it really "faulty"? Certainly it is in some regards (in that same sense EVERY version of Traktor EVER has been "faulty"_. However, when used in a general sense, that's far from unequivocal.

But, your point is well taken. It's an unfortunate side effect of the absolutely insane speed at which technology is evolving. I'm not saying that Apple is perfect, but when you talk about the "mac hyperbole" I have to disagree. In my experience, it's not exaggeration (OK, maybe SOME of it is), there IS a big difference in the way that companies play the game...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.