1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Massive X, Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Technics SL1200MK2 Pitch issue

Discussion in 'General DJ Forum' started by OldSkoolFool, Mar 3, 2013.

1. OldSkoolFool

OldSkoolFool New Member

Hi all,

Just a bit of advice needed. I have a pair of 1200MK2's which I bought new in '93 (taken good care of and light bedroom use only) and i'm having the usual problems with the pitch.

Basically, on both decks, there seems to be a pitch jump of around 1.3% around the 1.5% -2% mark (i.e when the slider is moved a fraction it jumps up in pitch).

I don't have two zero points and I have recently calibrated the +6% mark by adjusting the pot on the mcb.

Now, zero is at zero, +6 is at +6, but because of this pitch shift, 3.3% is at 2%.

I have desoldered the pitch slider and given it a good clean with some super 10 contact cleaner, but the problem remains.

For the last 20 years I have pretty much always mixed within that 0%-2% position and I can only assume wear and tear have gotten the better of them.

so, the question is, do i just need to replace the pitch slider unit, or do i need to replace the pitch mcb as well? Or could it be something else? (there are no pitch variances when the slider is stationary so I'm sure there are no motor issues).

Cheers in advance!

2. DJNickSaunders

DJNickSaunders New Member

Changing the Pitch slider only will sort this. They have done well to last this long!

3. OldSkoolFool

OldSkoolFool New Member

thanks for the reply. i thought as much. two new pitch sliders it is then!

4. makar1

makar1 Forum Member

Compressed air/contact cleaner is worth a shot too.

5. DJNickSaunders

DJNickSaunders New Member

20 Years on pitch faders! They don't owe you anything!

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. OldSkoolFool

OldSkoolFool New Member

thanks makar, but as i mentioned in my original post i've already gone down the desoldering, disassemble and contact cleaner route.

nick, to be honest they probably went well before now. i thought something wasn't right for a while, but it's only when you get a dvs like traktor that you recognise the actual problem thanks to the beat counters etc.

thanks again for the replies.

7. slaven-s4

slaven-s4 Forum Member

hate to be the barer of bad news i had the same problem and posted on this forum about it too i tried all the same things you have including re calibrating , nothing fixed the problem . so i went and got both 1210mk2 serviced , new cables power / phonos new tone arms , new faders even new time codes and carts replaced every part of both decks. by doing this i thought that i would basically have a new set of technics and the problem would be sorted .....sadly it wasn't sooo , i swapped my 1210smk2 plus a few other things for an almost brand new perfect set of technic 1210mk5gs and tadaaa! the problem is gone . the mk5gs have a digital fader right enough but this problem drove me up the wall every single bit of info on it and a tone of money down the drain didn't make the slightest bit of difference

8. OldSkoolFool

OldSkoolFool New Member

ouch. that must have hurt the pocket!

anyway, update for anyone who's interested.....

i just installed two new pitch faders, set the pitch pots to the factory setting of 2.70 using a multimeter and recalibrated the +6% position so the dots are stationary at 6%, but, and this may or may not be a problem, the 3.3% dots are stationary at around 2.6% and the -3.3% dots are stationary at around -2.6%.

now i know the pitch scale is just an approximation, but is this normal? if not, how can it be rectified?

can anyone with mk2's post their readings at the +6% and +3.3% marks as a comparison? would be much appreciated!

thanks in advance!

9. slaven-s4

slaven-s4 Forum Member

did you calibrate with a multi meter ? if so your reading will be different from others anyway. the 1210mk2s even on the most immaculate ones nearly always have pitch waving problems need the 0 position. new faders calibration and new parts don't solve the problem. i done everything you have and still had the same problems plus a lot more . I sent mine to be serviced by a reputable company and had them also fit all the new parts . i would stop wasting money trying to fix this you'll have the same problem at the end of it all i have owned 6 pairs of 1210mk2 2 of them from brand new ,now im using the 1210mk5gs and as i said before the pitch on them is exact . if your looking for pin point pitch control id get rid of the 1210mk2s and go for the 1210mk5g or if possible just try and avoid the points on the faders ware you have the problems . save your money

10. Real_Blackroom

Real_Blackroom Forum Member

There is a pitch calibrating pot under the platter on 1200:s.

(Disclaimer: Do not do all this if you are not familiar with electronics and most of all don't blame me when you **** up ;) ).

*Turn off the power

*Lift the platter straight up.

*Unscrew the five screws holding the plastic cover.

*Put the platter back while calibrating. (you can reach the pot through one of the holes in the platter).

* Check that the zero is still centered (The calibrating pot for the center is located on the board holding the pitch fader) (Bloody awkward position for it).

*re-check the pitch scale

* Calibrate them both until you are satisfied with the result.

* While you are at it check the electronic brakes (a pot for that is located on the main board under the platter, don't forget to adjust the brakes with both slipmat and a record on since it affects the result.

*Screw it all together again.

*Unscrew almost everything again and find the location for the leftover screw that you forgot ;)

*Mix :)
    ---
    Or look at the video in this thread :)

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190143

11. slaven-s4

slaven-s4 Forum Member

im guessing by your previous posts you have all ready done this , so see my post

12. Real_Blackroom

Real_Blackroom Forum Member

My post is about setting the pitch back to 3,3 and 6 marks which he haven´t done yet.

Then I think he will be fine actually! ;)

13. OldSkoolFool

OldSkoolFool New Member

Hi Blackroom,

as per previous posts, i have installed new faders, calibrated the pots on the pitch mcb with a multimeter to factory setting of 2.7. i have also calibrated the pot under the platter and set the 6% pitch spot on.

like i say, the problem (or not) is that when the under platter pot is calibrated so the +6% dots stop at +6 on the slider, then +3.3% reads at about 2.6% on the slider. if i calibrate the pitch so the +3.3% is correct, then this throws the +6% reading out accordingly.

i think this must be right as it does the same on both decks.

just wondered if anyone with 1200/10mk2's could post their readings at +3.3 and +6%?

14. karcevgo

karcevgo New Member

Hi there. Have also a pitch problem on pair of my MK3Ds. When the fader on 1st one is set on -4%, the Traktor shows it's only -3,5%. The 2nd one os OK. When -4% is shown as -4%. That happens only in the range of -3% to -5%, then it becomes OK in -8% it's -8%. The dots also show different values. I just need both TTs have the same % at the same positions of pitch.
    Also the fluctuation differs. The first TT is 0,10% at -/+8% and 0,01% at 0. The second one always fluctuates 0,01%. What is the problem and how to solve it? If I change the sliders, will I get it?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016