Testing MacOS Sierra Public Beta !!! Core Audio is fixed" 100% percent confirmation.

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by MichaelKMusic, Aug 25, 2016.

1. MichaelKMusic

MichaelKMusic Forum Member

Hi everyone I just want to share my findings I have been testing MacOS Sierra public beta 6 and I have used traktor 2.10.3.29 the latest release for almost 5hrs with not a single dropout using a DJM 900 nexus with Pioneers El Capitan drivers and Timecode. I will do more testing tonight and report back tomorrow. A colleague of mine recently has been testing public beta 6 for almost 10 hours straight not a single audio dropout and is going to take Sierra to a live club gig that's how confident he is with this release. I suggest that all of u Mac users upgrade to this new OS if u are a Traktor user and make sure u back up before u do because it is only beta some stuff might not work. The only thing for me that doesn't work is my NTFS drivers for Mac which I am sure I can find a company that supplies developers with a beta of that too.

Update NI has made MacOS Sierra Official for NI hardware (not software yet)

[​IMG]

Updates by mods and such here because not everyone will scroll through each post :)

Jonas

Our support has issued this warning regarding Mac OS Sierra.
    Tl;dr: If you are on older devices namely:

• TRAKTOR KONTROL S4 (MK1)
      • TRAKTOR AUDIO 2 (MK1)
      • AUDIO 8 DJ
      • AUDIO 4 DJ
      • AUDIO 2 DJ
    these devices might cease to work completely. I am happy to hear that the core audio bug might be fixed but please do not rush into upgrading, especially if you only have one system. (I know most of you know this but better safe than sorry)
    Our support team is still testing this OS and apple might still implement changes before they finally release it.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Karlos

Guys, I have some further information for those of you that are thinking of installing macOS Sierra.
    Please read this before upgrading your OS:

We completed the first round of tests and can happily say that all devices passed our initial smoke test except the following first generation devices:
    - S4MK1
    - Audio 8, 4, 2 DJ
    which do either crackle right away or after some time.

We observed minor issues after computer when to sleep mode for:
    - TKS2 (MK1 and MK2) and TKS8 (to be further verified)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. MichaelKMusic

Update

been on cruise mode using dvs for 6hrs now not a single dropout using 41000hz back to the old sample rate I am also running 4 decks two of them are stem decks.

all effects on too cpu is barely hitting 30%

before it would be easily over 40 or close to 50%

• Like Like x 1
  3. frankle

frankle NI Product Owner

Thanks for the heads up, I do have a spare PCIe SSD for my MacBook Air coming so I'll d a fresh install onto that so that I can go back to my trusty 10.8.5 if TSHTF ...

• Like Like x 1
  4. MichaelKMusic

Yea man testing for 10hrs now myself and not one dropout its awesome finally some confidence it really sucks when u get a dropout because it throws you out of the groove.

5. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

Thanks for posting your findings. I'll inform the guys that are looking into the issue.

Can you tell me which issue you think is fixed?
    Is it the 'mega latency bug' issue or the gradual 'audio degradation' issue - they are 2 separate issues and they are both being looked at with testers on macOS Sierra.

I would issue a caution for anyone wishing to update to macOS Sierra if you are using older, legacy hardware from various manufacturers.

Karlos

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sean Tessier

Sean Tessier New Member

In the big thread about this someone called the timecode related issue the mega latency one. My issue is drop outs.... so is that the degredation one you just named? Just want to clarify for myself and anyone else that finds this thread. Also, I would REALLY like to know if Sierra actually fixes core audio. I'm crossing my fingers SO hard... so if you get a dropout on it, PLEASE let us know. I would also like to know if Traktor 2.8.1 works without dropouts on Sierra, because that was the last update that the search bar wasn't broken so that's the one I use.

7. frankle

frankle NI Product Owner

The dropout bug is the one in my signature - where there is a stutter/distorted sound briefly and then goes back to normal. Every time it happened to me I saw an event log created in the Console App containing "IOAudioStream" errors.

Once I receive the SSD I'll be doing a clean Sierra install to do testing (one of my friends upgraded to a 1TB SSD in his retina MacBook Pro so I've scored his old 256GB drive). I will certainly be reporting back ... If they have in-fact solved this issue then it will be the ONLY reason to update to Sierra ... everything else in the OS is complete bloatware designed for consumers.

8. Karlos Santos

The 'audio degradation' issue is were the audio degrades so badly that it becomes unplayable and you have to restart Traktor. It can be prevented by periodically reseting the driver by altering the Latency setting in Preferences but once it's happened it requires a restart (in my experience).

The 'mega latency bug' is when using DVS track stutters for a few seconds and returns to normal.

I have experience both on 10.11 and I'm very interested to know if users do not have these issue with macOS Sierra.

Karlos

9. Sean Tessier

Sean Tessier New Member

Okay I see. So basically there are 3 known issues then. OP was talking about dropouts too, so that would mean his (hopefully) solved issue wouldn't fall into both of those categories then. Right?

10. Karlos Santos

Yes, the hope is that macOS Sierra has fixed all CoreAudio issues.
    If anyone is trying macOS Sierra and they have good or bad experiences it would be welcomed if they posted them.

Karlos

11. MichaelKMusic

Hi Karlos I believe both issues are fixed it was awesome last night I will do more testing this evening I couldn't believe how solid everything was, in fact the last time Traktor ran this well was on Mavericks.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jonas @ NI

Jonas @ NI Kommunity ™ NI Team

Our support has issued this warning regarding Mac OS Sierra.
    Tl;dr: If you are on older devices namely:
    • TRAKTOR KONTROL S4 (MK1)
    • TRAKTOR AUDIO 2 (MK1)
    • AUDIO 8 DJ
    • AUDIO 4 DJ
    • AUDIO 2 DJ
    these devices might cease to work completely. I am happy to hear that the core audio bug might be fixed but please do not rush into upgrading, especially if you only have one system. (I know most of you know this but better safe than sorry)
    Our support team is still testing this OS and apple might still implement changes before they finally release it.

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. ReeceDuncan

ReeceDuncan Member

Can you guys who are testing this please keep us updated regularly. It would be awesome if Sierra does truly bring back stability in the Core Audio.

14. ezc

ezc New Member

thank god !!
    my issue was audio degrading, popping and clicking about 40mins into timecode. really hope this works,
    gonna instal sierra now and do a test , will report back

• Like Like x 1
  15. MichaelKMusic

Okay so update I had the time to play around once again this afternoon into this evening running at 256 Latency 41000hz sample rate with timecode(dvs) playing stems, all effects on all decks 2 track decks 2 stem decks with my current setup -see my signature. Played for about 4.5 hrs I had no dropouts once again! max 30% cpu at full usage in traktor.

I will be testing every night for the next 2 weeks and reporting here after every test.

16. Karlos Santos

Guys, I have some further information for those of you that are thinking of installing macOS Sierra.
    Please read this before upgrading your OS:

We completed the first round of tests and can happily say that all devices passed our initial smoke test except the following first generation devices:
    - S4MK1
    - Audio 8, 4, 2 DJ
    which do either crackle right away or after some time.

We observed minor issues after computer when to sleep mode for:
    - TKS2 (MK1 and MK2) and TKS8 (to be further verified)

On one occasion audio dropped out when hot plugging the TKS4MK2 on a USB3 Port Hub.

So there is nothing to be concerned about from a HW support perspective, if you are on current generation hardware.

Nevertheless it might be a good idea to make your first test on Sierra from an external bootable drive, as described here:

Karlos

17. ivarzz

ivarzz Forum Member

Played a party for 7 hours last night! Mac OS X Sierra beta is already rock solid with Traktor. Not a single glitch or drop-out. Wifi on, bluetooth on, I used Safari and other web applications in background... very impressed!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Leonardo Prozczinski

Leonardo Prozczinski New Member

You guys have no idea how happy I am about this. I have a long story with NI support team, couple emails and phone calls and was about to go back to Yosemite because of the CoreAudio problem, but thought about waiting for the Sierra tests.

Already installing the beta for a gig this weekend.

Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  19. DjK77

DjK77 Member

so MacOs Sierra all good now??

20. DjK77

DjK77 Member

jz upgraded mine..test run with audio 8..seems to b ok..only for audio 10...timecode vinyl...

Attached Files: