The Euro Reakt Thread

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by Michael Hetrick, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Michael Hetrick

Michael Hetrick Member

Hi everyone, this is a thread for my Reaktor 6 Block collection, Euro Reakt: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/9093/
    The comments section can be difficult to use for keeping track of things, so please use this thread for the following:
    -Bug Reports
    -Feature Requests
    -Block Requests

The current to-do list:
    Rotating Switch (i.e. rotate 8 inputs around 8 outputs)
    Complex Random
    Bi-Directional Slew Limiter (separate rise and fall times)
    Gendy
    Vowel Filter
    Vowel/FOF Oscillator
    More Granular Oscillators

PENDING BUG FIXES/IMPROVEMENTS:
    -Add explanations for the various Complex Oscillator AM Modes.

A few rules about block requests:
    -I will not directly copy any commercially available module that is not explicitly open-source. My main goal for this project is to tackle all of the major building blocks of modular synthesizers, not to emulate specific products. For example, I will not create a Block that emulates Make Noise's excellent Maths module. However, I have produced an AD envelope and a logic mixer, which are much more basic and commonly used parts. You can use those to put together a pseudo-Maths.
    -The best way for me to implement something is if a research paper or code is available. In general, I really stink at interpreting circuit diagrams (I only have DIY soldering experience, not an EE degree). However, C++ (or similar) code, signal flow diagrams, and math equations are what work for me. As an example, I can tackle the Supercollider uGens very quickly, since they are open-source and easy to read.
    -I'm not great at the Core sampling workflow yet. Once I get through building a one-shot sampler myself, I'll start tackling larger samplers.
    -I will be tackling these in the order that I need them for making compositions and writing my book. Please do not request that I build these in some specific order.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  2. dylansmale

dylansmale New Member

Lorenz and Rossler Attractors, a Lissajous VCO (I believe you can find old reaktor ensembles of these), maybe a noise-ring? I don't know how similar the Banjolin is to this. Will be upgrading to 6 soon

3. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

4. Poster

Poster NI Product Owner

The Spectral and Formant oscillators from the Nord Modular G1 would be great!

5. endless la

endless la New Member

this really is a fantastic collection, great work Michael :thumbsup:

6. Michael Hetrick

Michael Hetrick Member

Great request! I actually wrote my Masters thesis on sonifying chaotic attractors: http://mhetrick.com/121800/1219101/software/drawjong (I've taken the app down from the App Store, due to iOS updates constantly breaking my terrible first-year programmer code). One thing to note is that I've already done about 6 or 7 chaotic maps/attractors from Supercollider. These will get you a lot of the way there for the chaos sound. I should definitely make a four-knob two-out attractor template so that I can port over my other favorites.

For the Noisering, the Turing Machine is almost identical. The only difference is that the Turing Machine doesn't take external input. The Rungler (The heart of the Benjolin) does. The Rungler only has a 3-bit output though. If you combine the Rungler with my D-A converter, you'll have an 8-bit clockable shift register. That will get you pretty close to the 2^n output of the Noisering. If you sum them together and average them, you'll have the n+1 output. Also, I can't really recreate the Noisering itself, since it's a commercial product.

7. dsic

dsic NI Product Owner

nothing to add here apart from saying your work with Reaktor 6 blocks is simply incredible, the recent supercollider based blocks - especially wow!

The success of Reaktor 6 is going to be in a great part due as much to NI as builders like Michael.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Michael Hetrick

Michael Hetrick Member

Great! If I understand this correctly, it's essentially the AD envelope generator, but with an additional Hold time? I should probably rename the "AHR" mode of my AD envelope to "ASR" to prevent confusion, then. Seems like this would be straightforward to implement.

9. Michael Hetrick

Michael Hetrick Member

The FOF/Vowel oscillator that I have planned should take care of the Formant oscillator. I have the Micro Modular, so I'll take a look at those two and see if that's true. I'm not sure how straightforward the Spectral one will be to rewrite. Depending on how many partials it has, it could be a simple additive sine wave construction. However, it could be a more complex method. I'll give that one a listen as well.

10. colB

colB NI Product Owner

In manual mode yes, but it seems to have an auto mode where it becomes an LFO that reaches bass audio frequencies, and can produce a range of waveforms depending on the settings of A onH D & offH.
    The decay can be modulated.
    Seems like a cool module. Nice to have something that can be multi use, and give a distinct character to a synth.

• Like Like x 1
  11. sowari

the important thing with the Trapezoid is that it does have a cyclic feature - I really loved your AD Envelope with that option.

ZooTook did a great primary version in his Synthi In A Case:

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/4153/

And from here:

http://www.vasulka.org/archive/Righ...aldron/Amherst,MassEMS/SynthiEducHandbook.pdf

we learn this:

Screen Shot 2015-10-26 at 15.52.43.png

sowari

12. Michael Hetrick

Michael Hetrick Member

The AD Envelope in Euro Reakt has a Cycle/LFO mode that can has a range of a few kHz down to 30+ minutes per cycle. Attack and Decay can currently be modulated. It seems like the only difference would be the OnH and OffH parameters, which would add a non-gate-length-sensitive hold to the envelope. Also, from reading the manual, it looks like it's closer to AD mode, in that the Attack envelope always completes, no matter how long the input gate is. It's definitely very doable. One of my friends has a Synthi, so I'll call him and ask a few questions about the behavior.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Michael Hetrick

Michael Hetrick Member

Awesome, thanks! It just hit me why having an OffH parameter is great in cycle mode: spacing between grains! That's a feature that the Envelator AD envelope has. I'll move this up the queue then. I'll implement it into a different Block instead of cramming the AD interface with more features.

• Like Like x 2
  14. sowari

yes, for me it should be a different Block.

anyway this would be great to have.

btw, i really appreciate all your hard work and the fact you are sharing your creations with the Reaktor community :cool:

sowari

• Like Like x 1
  15. colB

colB NI Product Owner

Does anyone know if the original AKS trapezoid envelope is linear or exponential in its different stages? any scope traces out there - I've had a look, but not found anything conclusive.

16. Michael Hetrick

Michael Hetrick Member

From the diagrams, it appears that the AS implementation is linear, but that might just be for explanatory purposes. The manual also mentions that the envelope is not "snappy," implying that it may be linear.

A lot of older modular envelopes are linear. The reason for this is that exponential and logarithmic shapes can be achieved by plugging the envelope back into its own A-CV and D-CV inputs. Having an attenuator or attenuverter is essential for this technique.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Poster

Poster NI Product Owner

Chet Singer's Ampere Modular includes both oscillators.. Might be interesting to have a look.. Also in the comments there is some discussion about both with some quotes from Rob Hordijk..
    https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/6019/

18. MvKeinen

MvKeinen Forum Member

first, THX for euro Reakt! its tons of fun!!!

I very much understand the point of not dublicating commercial pruducts, but there is also a line that has to be drawn between common knowledge and personal innovation. In Filters, the "schippmann VCF-2" approach is really fun. He made the character accessible through cv inputs. Here I would say that the maths behind that is common knowledge so it might be ok to recreate it (?)

from the manual:

Input BP6
    socket (input) – an attached CV switches the filter function BP6 to
    “non-inverted” (≥+1 V), “inverted” (≥+3 V) or “off” (<+1); the LED of the
    button shows current setting; when plugged in, the corresponding
    button is not active

same goes for inputs
    Input LP12
    Input BP18
    Input LP24

19. ZooTooK

ZooTooK NI Product Owner

I imagine it's pretty straightsforward just to transplant the trapezoid envelope from SIAC into a Block format. I havn't even begun to look into Blocks and I'm busy with making music now so I will not make this happen.

20. Poster

Poster NI Product Owner