The Euro Reakt Thread

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by Michael Hetrick, Oct 26, 2015.

1. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

to completely change the subject - any chance of something like Make Noise's 'Maths'?

i know i am being a bit greedy here ;)

sowari

2. Michael Hetrick

Michael Hetrick Member

It's most of the way there... Just use two of my "AD Envelope Generator" Blocks, along with a bipolar mixer for the SUM output. If you want the "OR" output, use the "Logic Mix" Block. To generate offsets, use the "Meta Control" Block.

The main thing that's missing is bi-drectional slew (i.e. slew with separate control over rise and fall times).

• Like Like x 2
  3. Big Gnome

Big Gnome NI Product Owner

I was working on this a bit last week. I'm extremely busy with the day job and some other projects these days, but I'll upload something shortly.

• Like Like x 1
  4. fusionid

fusionid NI Product Owner

5. herw

herw NI Product Owner

Hi Michael,
    there is a small naming conflict (no functionality conflict) inside of block frequency shifter:

_b02.png
    On the right side you see how it should be. Perhaps all KTrack-macros are wrong named?

ciao herw

Last edited: May 16, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Michael Hetrick

Michael Hetrick Member

Ahhh that makes so much sense. That macro is copied from the Bento Box oscillator. I didn't have any trouble with it until I was working on the Ring Modulator Block that I posted a week or two back. I could not figure out why things were not working correctly when I removed the FM section. Thanks for the heads up!

When looking at the Shifter DSP: The non-fixed version was made while under some heavy sleep deprivation, so that feedback system was implemented in a comically broken manner (which the "Fixed" version corrects). I should probably remove the non-fixed version (or rename it to "Broken Feedback"). Alternatively, I could merge both into one Block when I find the time and add a feedback behavior switch.

7. Michael Hetrick

Michael Hetrick Member

ER 2.6 was just posted! There's a lot of really fun Blocks in this update. In particular, I find the updated Impulse Train to be very useful. I've added a random generator with Gaussian distribution to it, so now you can disturb the generator's frequency in a very pleasant manner. It's great for granular stuff.

I'm trying to focus on adding more example ensembles for the next few updates. This update adds three new ones.

As always, let me know if anything weird made it into this update, or if you find bugs with older Blocks.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Michael Hetrick

Michael Hetrick Member

2.7 has been released! Copy-pasting missing documentation here... Already working on a 2.8 release =)

My apologies for uploading these before adding documentation to the new Blocks.

The Sinc Train is very similar to the Impulse Train, but it generates sinc-shaped impulses. These are very similar to band-limited impulses and sound great as standalone grains or as generators for both grain envelopes or grain oscillators.

FitzHugh-Nagumo is similar to the other chaotic oscillators in Euro Reakt, and the documentation wouldn't shed too much light on its inner workings. It tends to be much more stable than many of the other chaotic oscillators. As such, it works very well as a semi-predictable modulation source.

Brusselator is the odd-ball. It has an internal impulse generator that rapidly retriggers its initial conditions. The reason for this is because it frequently "dies off" to zero values. In a way, it's a biologic granular generator. "Freq" is the perceived frequency, "Delta" is the calculation rate, and "Regen" is the speed of the internal impulse generator. "Disturb" adds gaussian randomization to the impulse generator. All four of those controls will affect the perceived frequency. The Gamma and Mu controls work in concert to determine timbre and whether or not the system will self-oscillate. If you set "Regen" to 0, it will turn off the internal impulse generator. The "Reset" output can be used to manually trigger the system. You can combine both the Reset input and the internal generator.

• Like Like x 2
  9. ehdyn

ehdyn NI Product Owner

Your collection is amazing Michael.. Thank you so much for sharing!

Do you have any advice for coupling attractors?

I see you've implemented 2 and 3 dimensional attractors.. any interest to do a "hyperchaotic 4-D attractor" or "Chua machine attractor" or "Quaternionic Julia modulator".. not sure how to call it..?

Or do you know anything about attractor basins? Easier just to show a picture.. like Fig.4 in this document
    http://noyzelab.com/research/Burraston-CAreview.pdf It's like he linked an attractor/CA and displayed with a sort of dendrogram.. I dunno.
    Pretty cool

Ah, probably like a million questions I'd like to ask you but I'll just leave it at this for now..

Hope things are going well with your spectral transmogrification plug-in.. really looking forward to that one :)

10. Michael Hetrick

Michael Hetrick Member

Nice! I'll look into the attractor basin algo. CA is one of those things that's a bit harder for me to implement in Reaktor than C++. I'm still wrapping my head around good, efficient ways to do data structures in Reaktor.

Regarding attractor patching, my favorite thing to do is to set the frequency to extremely low values and turn it to Linear interpolation mode. You'll get very nice, slow CVs out of it. The CV outputs on the 2D and 3D attractors are semi-related, so its worth patching them to different Blocks.

Non-Linear Circuits makes a DIY Eurorack module called "Sloth" which is essentially a Lorenz-like attractor generated using an analog circuit (or, looking up your suggestions, almost identical to the Chua circuit!). It's slow (15 seconds), but there are even slower versions that you can build (15 minutes and 15 hours). I have the 15 second and 15 minute versions in my hardware rack, and I use them a lot. I would like to build a more analog-like attractor/chaos generator in terms of generating behavior. I could easily port this Chua's circuit code to Reaktor: http://www.chuacircuits.com/matlabsim.php

For Julia, Mandelbrot, or similar fractals, those equations may be way too brutal to implement in Reaktor. I'll look around for an efficient solver algorithm, but one of the main questions is "What is the output?". With attractors, its easy to output position over time, but for a lot of the fractal algorithms, time isn't really part of the idea.

4D attractors would be great. They're in the cards, but lower priority at the moment. I love the images in this paper: https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1503/1503.08872.pdf

SpecOps is coming along! We're releasing Fault and Dent in July (we're just getting artist presets at the moment), then we're moving on to SpecOps and one other plug-in hopefully by October.

11. robin746

robin746 NI Product Owner

Fractals are not worth the time, IMO, as someone who has programmed a certain amount of algorithmic music. How much good music has been made with fractal output? In these cases was the fractal audible or was it just a complicated way of getting stochastic data?

12. ehdyn

ehdyn NI Product Owner

Thank you very much for your reply Michael, sounds like you're incredibly busy. I looked at the images of your new plugins on FB and can only say WOW! Looks like they are going to be a big deal.. as if G8 and Sandman weren't already.

I'll look into those suggestions you were mentioning regarding attractors and how to deal with their outputs.. looks like a neat little tool just popped up by Matthew Friedrichs called "envelslewp" for just that sort of thing.. I'll work out the coupling of multiple attractors and report back if I find anything good.

About the Sloth, seems cool I hadn't heard of it but I did have an Elby Chaquo for awhile which I suppose is similar.
    The reason why I brought up the "Chua's Machines Attractors"(funny naming?) was largely because of this link and specifically the images produced in Fig.4
    http://leonardo.info/isast/journal/bilotta-chaos-article.html
    They seem to be saying at the end of this brief article that its a sort of "superset" because they claim in their conclusion "Starting from the known Chua’s attractors, nearly a thousand new chaotic attractors have been found by ESG" ..confused by these statements but thought it was worth pointing out.

About the CA's, yes unfortunately it's seems Reaktor is not really geared for this sort of thing-but I think Colugo did manage to do a pretty great implementation recently. At some point I'd like to modify it so that agents wrap off the board differently, you know as if they were on a torus or hypercube.. I think this sort of thing was mentioned by Dr. Dmitri Tymoczko.. can't recall exactly what he proposed. Thinking it would probably lead to richer results.

Ah, lots more to say regarding CA's, fractals, etc.. but I'm getting kicked out of this cafe atm.. have to follow up tomorrow!

13. Michael Hetrick

Michael Hetrick Member

Euro Reakt 3.0 is live. I skipped a few versions since this update is massive. I'm moving more to bug fixing and refinement mode for the next month or two, so please submit any bug reports!

• Like Like x 1
  14. ehdyn

ehdyn NI Product Owner

Funny, all of these things in the 3.0 update are exactly what I was hoping for(non-linear) and will keep me scratching my head for a long time to come.. I sent some money to show my appreciation and hope others will do the same.

15. Michael Hetrick

Michael Hetrick Member

Very much appreciated!! Thank you.

I recently picked up a "Just Friends" by Whimsical Raps/Mannequins (http://whimsical-raps.myshopify.com/pages/just-friends). It's a really funny thing because what it does is fairly "basic". It generates 6 oscillators, envelopes, or LFOs that are harmonically related, the order of which is determined by the Intone knob. I love it, as it seems to encourage you to set up a simple patch, turn one knob, and enter wild, generative territories.

The combination of that with the NLC modules has made my modular feel very alive again. I really love modules that exist somewhere in the realm between absolute control and unpredictability. That was my thought process going into these new Blocks, which is why there were so many released at once.

Also, just for visual fun alone, try plugging a 2D attractor into the XY-to-Polar Block and set it to high-frequency and stepped. I think you'll really enjoy it.

16. ehdyn

ehdyn NI Product Owner

Oh nice, I saw that thing over at Muffs and some of the related modules but hadn't seen the site until now.. pretty fun read. Seems like a brilliant plan unfolding.
    That's the best part of this whole modular explosion, seeing each makers jiva or unique soul expression.
    I think I get what you mean about having some basic control to start from..many people here love the Rotkaer sequencer for just that reason.
    If you've ever wanted to do your own Qatsi-style soundtrack
    https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/6909/
    Also makes me think of the logical permutations of something like "midi kitten" or "uSteps" by lazyfish.
    Can't really go crazy with links cause I'm on a phone with no ram..afraid to lose the message.

Funny that you mentioned the xy to polar block-my eyes lit up when I saw that as I don't have a tv
    Thanks for the tip!

17. Big Gnome

Big Gnome NI Product Owner

Butt-kicking work this time around, dude! There are some gems here. My favorite probably is the Chebyshev Scanner, for which I found the CPU usage quite reasonable. However, you can cut it down by a fair amount further by deriving all the exponents from one series of multipliers rather than calculating them independently in each order. E.g.:

cheby.jpg
    cheby2.jpg

18. Michael Hetrick

Michael Hetrick Member

Nice! That's a much smarter implementation hahah. I'll look into replacing it with that.

In other news, our new plug-in has finally been published!
    https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/unfiltered_audio_fault.html

• Like Like x 1
  19. JoHe

JoHe New Member

@Michael Hetrick
    First, thank you so much for all this free stuff you've created. It blows my mind.
    I'm quite new to modular synthesis, I try to avoid spend all my money for eurorack stuff ;) Blocks and especially Euro Reakt opened the door for me! I also spend many thoughts on buying one of the nord modulars, but the larger the blocks library gets, the more I'm questioning my self if I need one. So much to learn with the blocks on their own.
    I'm very interested in learning more or less "self playing patches" so I welcome all your propability, logic, seuqencing modules very much. Also your example patches help me alot. I try to read chapters about these concepts in the nord modular book by J. Clark you recommended somwhere. Do you have some other recommendations, where I could learn a bit more. Also Video Tutorials about your Euro Reakt Series would be amazing! But I can immagine you are too busy for doing videos...
    Anyway. Thanks a lot, I will have tons of fun.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Exiannyc

Exiannyc NI Product Owner

JoHe you are a person after my own heart. I assume your question is to everybody and not just Michael. I'll chime in if you don't mind. I'd love to hear anyone else's suggestions too.

Here are some Blocks, Reaktor and Nord related resources I've come across.

First of all, Michael has said he is writing a book. I can't wait.

You probably know you can download the Nord modular demo and use it for free.

Chet Singer re-created a lot of Nord functionality in Reaktor https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/6019/ with, I believe, a lot of additional physical modeling capabilities that the original didn't have. Sandy Small added to it https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/6701/ and Mario Kruselj made the whole thing more usable https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/8115/ - you might want to search the user library for "ampere" and just download everything you find.

Chet built lovely example ensembles that show how you can put the modules together. When I first opened them up, I couldn't understand them at all. Now I understand them better. If at first you are confused, keep exploring, and come back later for another look.

In my view, Ampere sounds vastly better than the Nord, whose basic elements always seemed to me to lack any character at all. I know it can do everything, but you start from a point that gives me personally little pleasure or inspiration. You really have to build a lot before it starts to sing. I personally have never gotten to that point with the Nord demo. Maybe someday. Blocks get you started with something that sounds more interesting and compelling right off the bat. Some people might consider that cheating - I consider it way more fun.

The Factory library contains incredible sequencers - don't miss Spiral - and the User library does also. I'm looking forward to building sprawling Ampere instruments and connecting sequencers to them.

Roland Kuit has produced what is probably the supreme resource for learning what is possible with the Nord Modular (and, by extension, Ampere, Reaktor, and Blocks). http://rolandkuit.com/e-Books.html It is not cheap - 225 Euros - but it is vast and daunting. I do not think it is overpriced. I acquired it, but I have not yet had the discipline to sit down and go through it all in detail. Jason Clark is great, but Kuit (say "kout," approximately) goes far beyond it. It takes an investment of time to get wisdom out of it. That might be true of life as well.

Back to free stuff. WREN is a simply amazing, constantly expanded, free modular whose creator says it is not a Nord Modular clone. It does a lot of things Nord doesn't. It does however have the concise, all in one, wires in front, interface that I really love. Herw worked really hard to achieve that in Modular X (another thing you should search for in the user library and just download everything you find).

I wish Reaktor was like that. Merely having the wires in one window and the knobs in another, as Reaktor and Blocks do, is often enough to befuddle me completely. ANYway http://bluehell.electro-music.com/modules/ just download it to your desktop, do NOT install it, there is nothing to install, just open the folder and double click the wren exe file. That's all you have to do. The first time you open it, the program will auto generate a HELP file, so you will see panels full of modules flashing on your screen. If you are like me you will start salivating and clapping your hands and making goofy noises in anticipation.

Wren includes a Klee sequencer module. More modules appear every month or two. Just saying. If you like it, send Jan Punter some money.

WREN is not a VST. It runs stand alone only. You can download example patches here http://bluehell.electro-music.com/modules/patches/index.php - many of them are marvels of long form self playing compositions/constructions that can run for extremely long periods without repeating themselves. To run a patch, click RUN. To stop, click STOP. To record a wav file, click START RENDERING. That's it. I am not able to comment on MIDI or OSC functionality - I just use my mouse.

I can't talk about virtual self playing modulars without mentioning Aalto and Kaivo by Madrona Labs. Just amazing. One screen. Everything's there. No menus. Vast possibilities in a very limited space.

OK, JoHe, that's a lot, have fun, play, build, connect, enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1