The Native Browser Preview Library, where is the fix

Discussion in 'KOMPLETE KONTROL SERIES' started by Jason R, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Jason R

Jason R NI Product Owner

The fix has been rolled out. The Native Browser Preview Library is listed as "Previews" in Native Access.

Still waiting for the fix, so many errors with my Windows 10 install and now too unbearable to use because of all the missing file errors coming up when in use.

No contact from customer support since yesterday morning. Did you guys not test this before rolling it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. rl59

rl59 New Member

Having read about a supposed fix, I just wasted an hour uninstalling and re-installing Previews via Native Access, to my default location, to find exactly the same "fatal errors" as the last time.

The only way round it appears to be to uninstall then manually install to a near root level folder, as described here:

NI really do need to issue some sort of official guidance on this, to all customers via e-mail, because it's ridiculous to expect people to have to delve into forums and YouTube to solve the issue. I've seen other threads on here which claim the issued is "fixed" and the threads locked by moderators. It isn't fixed.

3. thusis

thusis NI Product Owner

Let's face the truth at the moment with NI:

All the **** started getting much worse from software side with Native Access. This tool is not yet really ready and is the main cause for a lot of installation issues. Second: No manual at the moment for Maschine MK3, what the hell bring a product to the market with no manual...No way. Then the sensitivness of the maschine mk3 pads, sucks. They're worse than the ones from Maschine Studio. Then with Komplete Kontrol MK2 there is no accessability features at the moment, to regaulate hardware velocity....

You know what i did: I blocked Native Acess with blockblock, an app which shows, which helper.plist files are beiing installed. blocked them all, so native access is only alowed to download and not to install. After that you receive a comon .iso file and you let komplete kontrol and maschine to ask for the path of the preview library. So no problem at all.

THE ISSUE IS AND STAYS WITH NATIVE ACCESS!!!!

4. JesterMgee

JesterMgee NI Product Owner

The issue from what I can gather is someone doing the programming on their nice test bench without an actual thought as to the limitations in the real world.

The issue appears to be the path name is too long for some of the sample files.

NI decided to use a plugin ID using a massive HEX number for the path to the sound files instead of the vendor/plugin name (like with the database files for nks). The reason I am unsure but possibly it is to make it harder for users to dig and find the files to replace/tinker with (since that is exactly what it does).

Anyway, THIS is what creates the issue:

upload_2017-10-12_9-41-24.png

Path Example to a sample:
    G:\NI Komplete\Previews\Samples\9901873b-888f-42a6-984a-1917ef57eb70\Instruments\Albion V Orchestra\_Individual patches_\.previews\Brass High - Long - Doodle Tonguing.nki.ogg

Depending where your library is installed the addition of those long folder names causes the path to be too long to some of the files and they do not install. Some instruments may have a number of folders within there so it becomes too long for the path to the file.

Path to file can only be 255 characters and that example there is 174 and I have a pretty slim main folder location.

I do not understand why this feature needs such a massive hex ID but they need to fix it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. thusis

thusis NI Product Owner

I guess they got new people in the software & [security?] department. I guess people from waves. Grand Rhapsody Library is exactly hex crypted the same way...So a clear dev signature...

6. Jason R

Jason R NI Product Owner

So the update came through soon after posting this, it worked then stopped working and now Maschine 2 and Komplete plugins crash Ableton Live on a daily basis now.

This is just horrendous, this is the first signs of any crashing/freezing I have had with this laptop and program since the update.

7. 4GodnWV

4GodnWV NI Product Owner

I am a beginner. Completely new to working with PC's and digital music. Chose NI after listening to their software on YouTube. I am having so many technical glitches, such as my Mod-Wheel only working part-time, the touch-strip is jittery, my expression pedal is useless, the preview library only working part-time, etc. Add to that the element of 'inexperience' and this purchase has been a disaster. No answer to my questions from NI.

Hopefully the tech dept at Sweetwater can walk me through some testing procedures today to see if it is just software I am dealing with.

Imagine buying a new car, and discovering the radio doesn't work, the heater works 1/2 the time, and they are planning on rolling out the advertised navigation system "sometime this year". Can't wait to drop a $1,000 on a software package from these folks.

Sheesh!!

8. mykejb

mykejb NI Product Owner

The "massive hex digit id" isn't really anything encrypted or security related, it's just a numeric ID for the product and the format is common across most computer systems these days. Still sucks that the pathnames are too long though, pretty sure they could have condensed it with a little forward planning.

Mike

9. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

That is not a plugin ID, it's called a UUID. It's the only way to for sure know that a library is what it tells it is. If you check NativeAccess.xml, you will see every product with their own UUIDs there - this is how KK/Maschine know which preview to play, via that identifier. No special characters are allowed which can be messed up by using different codepages between different operating systems or locales, only regular ASCII numbers and A-Z, so there's no confusion whatsoever.

No, it can be 32768 when Unicode strings are used (which is practically the norm nowadays). https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365247.aspx#maxpath

Now you understand why it's there and why it won't change :)

10. mykejb

mykejb NI Product Owner

Technically, it's 0-9 and A-F and the '-' sign to split the 128-bit UUID into groups :)

I'm a bit surprised NI didn't use a UUID to map the sound to the preset rather than start with a UUID then use group/sample names. Would have got rid of the huge path problem in an instant.

Mike

11. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

I think that's to make it simpler for content producers/developers to just go through all the patches and just create previews. Much easier to just keep the preset name than to hash each one, and then if something needs fixing (like, reverb tail cut too early), trying to figure out which of the hashed files is the one you need to fix...