The ultimate sequencer clock

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by owen_vallis, Sep 14, 2012.

1. owen_vallis

owen_vallis Forum Member

Hello :)

Due mostly to curiosity, I started to look through the forums and library ensembles. The information seems a little scattered, and its not exactly clear if earlier clock bugs are still relevant in newer versions of Reaktor.

Anyways, I've built a little test ensemble with a bunch of different seq clocks (Including a free running clock). Each one, more or less, should be an improvement on the previous clock (with the exception of the free running clock).

They go from the most basic sync clock, all the way up to a clock that doesn't fire on stopping the transport, is speed adjustable from the panel, is aware of where it is in the song in beat time, and only fires a trigger upon crossing the rising edge of the chosen beat division.

Is there anything I missed? Or could there be any other improvements? I've seen mention that some clock events can be dropped, but no clear way to reproduce the drop outs.

Interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

Attached Files:

2. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

interesting. i'll have a look at these later :)

sowari

3. salamanderanagram

salamanderanagram NI Product Owner

4. owen_vallis

owen_vallis Forum Member

Looking forward to hearing what you guys think

5. ~Pd~

~Pd~ Forum Member

Owen, this is really good. I was having some trouble with the clocks in my ensembles, searched around, found this thread and your great solution where you use the Mod output to gate the Div. I tweaked it a little and now I think I have a rock solid clock. Thanks for the post!

6. ehdyn

ehdyn Forum Member

Interesting that your clocks don't seem to suffer from the playhead skipping issue when adjusting the length in real-time.

Peter, I checked out your clock and it seems pretty great but one issue I noticed is that if you turn the rate up and set the length to 2 or 3 the flashing pattern doesn't seem entirely rock-solid. Not sure if that's the clock itself or just the lamps responding unevenly but there seems to be some jitter there.

FWIW, I think sonictwist basically solved the clock issues a while back so it might be worth it to investigate there - his clocks are extremely stable at high frequencies.

7. ~Pd~

~Pd~ Forum Member

The Reaktor display refreshes at 25 Hz so it's probably like an interference pattern, like. I didn't notice any oddnesses using it to drive sequencers or audio.

8. ehdyn

ehdyn Forum Member

Ah that must be it - 25 seems pretty low, makes sense though

9. ~Pd~

~Pd~ Forum Member

It does seem ridiculously low... I tested by using the system info module though and that's what it is, yuppers.

10. salamanderanagram

salamanderanagram NI Product Owner

it's not *that* low, aren't movies like 30 fps or something?

11. Big Gnome

Big Gnome Forum Member

NTSC is 29.97fps, so yeah; I think PAL is 25fps. Still though, that's kind of sluggish for responding to timing-critical events.

12. ~Pd~

~Pd~ Forum Member

Yeah it depends what you want to do with it. For 99.999% of stuff in Reaktor the 25Hz refresh rate isn't an issue at all. I'm not suggesting they bump it up so it burns more precious CPU cycles for basically nothing. It's just funny to noticeably bump up against it with something as slow and simple as an event rate clock. A glitch in the matrix. :D

13. owen_vallis

owen_vallis Forum Member

Glad to hear the clock is helpful :) I took a look at the sonictwist generative sequencer. Very cool.

I have some custom Core Modulos macros, and might try to build the clock entirely in core to see if I can improve the performance... even though I'm sure it will only be a tiny little bit, haha.

@Peter: Thanks for the shout out on your post.

14. SylviaStevens

SylviaStevens New Member

Oh its very nice I have tried this ultimate sequencer clock and I have earn a good experience which make me cool and happy. Thanks for share.