Tip - How to add Kore templates to the right click menu

Discussion in 'KORE' started by Kymeia, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

If you put your Kore templates folder inside the Database cache folder (the contents of which is what you see when you use Kore's plugin loader) and make sure they all have "Template" in the "Vendor" box they will appear in the rightclick menu and in the Plugins menu and you can use them as substitutes for normal plugins.

2. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

Now why didn't I think of that?

Stickied =)

ew

3. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Just make sure you keep them in a subfolder of the database cache (so they don't overwrite the default ones) otherwise there is a chance they will get overwritten themselves on a rescan of the plugins (or if a plugin gets updated).

I suspect this might fix the problem with u-he plugins too.

4. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Just another idea - if you want them to appear in the same folders as your other plugins (eg the template for Zebra in the u-he folder) just make sure the template is clearly designated (e.g. Zebra template) and what is in the Vendor box is the same as the other plugins by that maker (ie u-he)

5. machinesworkinghardforyou

machinesworkinghardforyou NI Product Owner

Has anybody gotten this to work in OSX? I have yet to get OSX to recognize a sub folder in the database cache folder, or individual .ksd files with Template as the vendor.

6. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

I have no idea about OSX filesystem - sorry. However adding template as vendor is just if you want to keep them all in one separate (templates) sub menu when you rightclick and putting them in a separate folder is just to make sure they don't overwrite the original ksd's in the database folder or get overwritten themselves if you update or reinstall Kore. So you don't have to do either of those things (as I said in a post further down) :) The key thing is putting them in the database cache folder but when I was first testing out the concept I thought some precautions were wise.

So if you are happy to have them added to the same folders as the synths they are templates for then just put them in the main database cache folder but give them a different name (e.g. xxx_template.ksd) so you can distinguish them from the originals and so they hopefully don't get overwritten on a reinstall (keep a backup obviously) - this is what I am doing now and it seems to work so it looks like this for example in my CamelAudio sub menu there are the main synths/fx and the templates all together:

Attached Files:

• Menu.jpg
      Menu.jpg
      File size:
      10 KB
      Views:
  7. machinesworkinghardforyou

Yeah, and I know little about how NI goes about things on Windows. :S

I highlighted the relevant section in your post. In OSX there are two 'database cache' folders in both the system or root directory, and one in the user directory.

I have yet to try it in the root directory, maybe that will work, but the root only has NI plug ins in it. I think in OSX when a preset is made, it's somehow treated differently enough from the database cache files that it's not recognized. I can't se much difference yet, but I'll work on this a little more today, as it's a great idea I would like to get with. :cool:

8. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

From where it is on Windows my guess is the "user" one but the easiest way to find out would be to click on the "Plug-ins" tab in the browser, pick any plug-in and rightclick on it and at the bottom of the menu pick "open containing folder" - that's where the database cache is and where you can put your templates.

9. machinesworkinghardforyou

So far, this isn't working at all on Mac. I've rescanned databases, restarted Kore, the computer etc. Placed the files in almost every place, and nothing.
    If anybody gets this working on Mac, please post.

10. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Try adding the database cache folder to the user path in database options

11. machinesworkinghardforyou

Didn't work. I'll look into this even further, it could easily be a Mac VS Windows thing though, and nothing to do with Kore code. :confused:

12. mattavish

mattavish NI Product Owner

i'm having trouble getting this working on xp. excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by 'vendor'? i've put my folder of templates in the database cache folder and have a number of further sub folders inside that for various vst's. i've added 'template' to the names of all the ksd's within those.

thanks for any help!

13. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

You don't need additional subfolders - Kore sorts plugins by vendor (i.e. developer/company - e.g. NI, Camel, Linplug, ReFX etc). Whatever you put in the vendor field will determine how they are grouped. So if you want say all your Camel plugin templates to be grouped with the Camel plugins put "Camel" in the vendor field (when you click "edit" and resave). On the other hand, if you want them all in one folder called templates put "Templates" in that field.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  14. mattavish

mattavish NI Product Owner

hmmmm. i'm having trouble getting any of the templates to show up. i'll keep trying. thanks for that.

15. stutter

stutter Forum Member

why didn't I notice this before. Thankyou

16. robinbolt

robinbolt New Member

hey its true i am also having some trouble in this...actually one was fine and the other havin prob.. hope it will be fine soon :) thnx for info

17. soundgarden

soundgarden Forum Member

thank you for the tip man :)

18. richiedoc

richiedoc NI Product Owner

I know what a Kore performance is...
    I'm pretty sure i know the difference between and Kore sound and a KorePack sample...
    I know what a Kore ksd is - I think.

What is a Kore Template?

19. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

A ksd that has been made to serve the purpose of functioning as a template for controlling a particular plugin (using the Kore controller), so set up in advance with all the needed controller mappings and attributes, and usually also as a starting point for saving or importing presets from that plugin (because the controller mappings and attributes set up in the template will then be applied to subsequent imports so you don't have to do it a gazillion times)

So adding them to the plugin menu itself means when you want to load a plugin you can just load its template instead

20. arachnaut

arachnaut NI Product Owner

It's like the INIT setting on a synth - sets up everthing in some nice default state.