1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

To MPC or not to MPC: That is the question...

Discussion in 'Computer Technology and Setup' started by logic_user99, Jan 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. logic_user99

logic_user99 Forum Member

So, I've been lusting after the illustrious Akai MPC for longer than I'd care to mention, and now I'm moving into a gaff with a decent sized studio space I thought I'd buy one!

Firstly - who uses one? Which model do you use?

I've been looking at the MPC500 as it's less than £350 and runs from batteries (great for my commute to work). However, I know that the MPC2000XL is the 'standard' and, according do some die-hard users, it 'feels different' to the new machines.

Is there any real difference in the groove quantize, or sound of the machines? I think that you can get a decent 2000XL for about £500 from eBay; is the cost difference really worth it?

NB* I don't need an all-singing-all-dancing production suite, as I use a PowerBook w/ Reaktor & Logic Pro as my main writing tools. It's the hands-on beat creation that I'm really interested in; that, and the ease-of-use in a live environment (I'm a drummer, see).

Cheers, yo. :)

2. logic_user99

So nobody answers questions on this board then?

Nice.

3. perversity

perversity NI Product Owner

I would stay away from the 500 unless portability is your main concern. If your planning on using the MPC more as a drum controller than a sequencer, I would highly recommend the 2000xl over the 500 or 1000. The pads on the 2000xl are like butter compared to the 1000, and the 500 feels more like a toy. The 2500 or the 4000 and 5000 have the same feel as the 2000xl, but come with more functionality, and sequencing power.

4. logic_user99

Ah, sick. Cheers dude. I am, however, gonna go with the MPC1000 as it's the fits the portability-vs-power mould!

5. jshell

jshell New Member

Do you need all that the MPC provides, or just want the pads? Akai has a couple of drum-pad Midi controllers. And they have that new full 49 key keyboard + pads controller too.

6. logic_user99

See, I've been sitting on it for a couple of days, and now I'm not 101% even though I know that I still want one. I don't want to control the computer, I want it to be my sequencer - Logic is doing my head in and I'm not working effectively. I like hardware! More than likely, I'm going to rig it up to my old Roland VS840EX (just for doing guitars an' junk).

I've got an ass-load of good software on my Mac (Logic 7, Reaktor 5, Battery 3, Reason, Rebirth, Live) but none of it is working for me anymore! Reaktor is ace, and I use it for random sounds, but there's no sequencer.

Gonna go to SoundControl tomorrow and, if they give me credit, I'll get one on order. What's the worst that happens? I don't use it fully and sell it? Not gonna be any money down... LOL!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.