1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Traktor 3.3.1 realtime optimization discussion

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR 3' started by djfitty, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djfitty

djfitty Forum Member

I worked a new club last. Well a lounge. The place didnt have a mixer and no way of plugin in my ipod if something went wrong. The club owner said oh no not a computer I hope it dont crash. I thougt to my self me too. Well 15 min into my set Traktor just stops. No response from my midi controller and no response from using my mouse. Oh and the music just quit playing making me look like a total jerk. Not only did it do this once but 5 times! Each time I had to kill the power on my laptop. I WILL NEVER USE TRAKTOR AT A LIVE GIG AGAIN PERIOD!

2. jonniesparko

jonniesparko Forum Member

Sorry, but :lol: :lol: :lol:

3. djfitty

djfitty Forum Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :( :lol:

4. signaturex

signaturex NI Product Owner

did this happen on the toshiba or the HP.:(

5. jonniesparko

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hilarious...

I remember using Virtual DJ to play a wedding (that I was getting paid for), and the groom had requested this old school spanish song called "caballo viejo" (which I just happened to have after it was recommended from a friend who knew I'd be doing the wedding).
    I played the song, it's a slow song, and the groom is having a dance with bride, all is well... During their dance, he swings her my way and wispers to me, "Play Tupac next, play Hit 'em up"... I looked at my brother who was my wingman that night and laughed, but I had the Tupac song so I went to play it. Next thing you know, my Dell's laptop screen turns black, and I get a message telling me that all data is going to be dumped from memory! The music doesn't stop, it sta.. sta... star... starts stuttering and oh ****... I can't turn it off, can't control VDJ and now everyone is looking at me, waiting for me to take the noise out of their ears. I can't do a thing. All I could do is unplug my Hercules MKII from the the speakers and pack up...

I had played a good hour or so with no problems till that moment... I left with my head down, and I never accepted the money for the gig.

My HD was able to be recovered, and I never had the problem again. Never again played Tupac with old Spanish music, and I never played another wedding...

6. signaturex

i can't believe you guys play with out back up systems . :S I have the most stable computer system that i can think of, and I wouldn't rely on it soley if I had a paying or other important gig. Thats just common sense.

Even when Im just playing records. I bring some other sort of player in case I destroy two needles. Djing is entertainment--the show must go on.

You don't see willie nelson walk off stage cause he breaks a string. look at his freaking guitar its got duct tape on it half the time.

Being un-realiable and bugging out at a gig just because your equipment fails is completely un-acceptable. You absolutley must entertain your client. Even if you have to plug in a microphone and sing happy phunking beirthday.

7. djfitty

djfitty Forum Member

The HP

8. DJ_AS

DJ_AS NI Product Owner

I must agree with Sig - I always have a plan B. When I was playing vinyl that meant taking my own carts and slipmats to a gig. Then I always carried a few spare CDs AND vinyls in case the 'primary' decks went down.

If I was playing anywhere without decks now that I'm on Traktor I'll stick some tunes on my MP3 player - just in case.

I have never suffered a catastrophic (i.e. stop-the-show) equipment failure. I think thats partly cos I don't tempt fate by not having a backup plan!

Am doing a mates wedding later this year - I'm taking a spare laptop.

Worst that has happened to me was a melted record (!) - left on the decks for a couple of minutes before I went on. The stage lights wrecked it! Needle just bounced across when I tried to play it and then it was all floppy when I took it off the deck. That was quite a comedy moment!

9. djfitty

djfitty Forum Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

10. djfitty

djfitty Forum Member

I agree.........since this place was small I left my back up laptop at home and was just going to use my Ipod......but there was no way of plugin it in. (didnt have the right rca cable with me, left it at my regular gig)

11. signaturex

weddings are a pretty big deal. Im sorry that happened to you.!

They also pay well. Ive made an average of 1000$ on each wedding ive played in the last 3 years. The last two were especially profitable :) and i used traktor(not soley) in both. So that means being totally spot on.

Still ...equipment failueres do occur. Just pray it doesn't happen during your lip sync at the grammy's.

12. djfitty

djfitty Forum Member

4 real yall laughing at this helps. This has been heavy on my chest all morning. I'm starting to think power has something to do with it. They had all kind of shyt pluged in every where.

Luckly the promoter that brought me there is good friends with the owner. So maybe I'll get another shot at it next Monday. In the mean time I dont know as of yet how I will work tonigt. Maybe all CD's

13. jonniesparko

Backups... Yeah, good idea...

14. -dthree-

-dthree- Forum Member

Might think about keeping a little mixer in your laptop bag for times the venue doesn't have one.

15. S1L1C0N

S1L1C0N Forum Member

Get A Mac.

16. jonniesparko

Well, I'm now playing Traktor with a Macbook Pro, hopefully it will never **** on me, but hey, for now I'm only playing to the items in my bedroom...

17. ProDJC

ProDJC Forum Member

Make sure you know what equipment the bar/club has before you play. I always bring a ton of CD's just in case something goes wrong & personally I would never use any laptop to DJ other than an Apple. :p

A friend that works at a club in town told me Saturday night there was a DJ using a laptop and it went down for about 15 minutes - this guy didn't have any CD's (not even 1) to play while he was rebooting and there was silence for the whole 15minutes. A majority of the people left and went to the bar next door.

Always bring CD's and make sure there is a CD player to play them...:cool:

18. S1L1C0N

S1L1C0N Forum Member

This thread got me thinking about my backup plan...I will have a few of my own mix CD's just in case of serious failure, also I will have my iPod handy full of mixes.

19. Dickins

Dickins NI Product Owner

Ouch!

I've been there bro. I used to mix on a Toshiba laptop & when it crashed, it crashed hard!

Since I've moved to MacBook, I haven't really experienced any major screwups. The worst being having to restart Traktor after increasing the Audio 8 DJ's latency mid set as the audio was starting to crack up. Everything just stopped. However, I had iTunes running in the backround while it restarted.

The main thing is to stay calm, even if you're getting booed which is tough.

I remember one gig that some dude came up and started moving my VCI-100 platters back and forth after a crash like above & I almost took his head off.

Swing, badda badda badda badda badda, Swwwwwwing

20. jonniesparko

Wow...

Can't be touching another man's mixer like that... That's grounds for an ass whooping...

Other side story here:

I use to play little back yard jams at my buddies house, in a not so excellent neighborhood called "Cutler Ridge", my buddy Eddy always had a bat behind the decks, I parked my rig right next to his stuff, and in my back pocket, nunchaku, or "nunchucks"... Never had to use them, but yeah, they were ready to get their swing on...

One of those parties, this naturally toasted girl came up to me while playing, and touches the VCI platters, on the track that's playing!

She asks as she's moving her hand to the platters, "what happens if I... Oh... That's cool..."

STOOPID girl...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.