1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Traktor Dropping ALAC Support: What the Hell, NI? An Open Letter

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by ImNoDJ, Nov 26, 2014.

1. ImNoDJ

ImNoDJ Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  2. blackavenger

blackavenger Forum Member

Hey, for several years Serato supported ALAC, but not FLAC. I had to maintain 3 file types for each track back then.
    FLAC is better anyway.......smaller file size.
    It's not like there aren't alternatives to iTunes that support FLAC. Hell, I disable iTunes as soon as I get my Macs.

Yes, it's annoying, but not the end of the world.

3. BiCho_Tf

BiCho_Tf NI Product Owner

I understand your pain.

Anyway, I have never used itunes. VLC can read FLAC files in mac perfectly, you should try that.

4. TroyMichael

TroyMichael Forum Member

I have your issues but i do understand your disappointment in NI. For me one of the things that is truly disappointing in NI is that they often are are quick to try and blame others like windows or mac. Hate to see that . Best of luck. Let hope NI turns things around.

5. BiCho_Tf

BiCho_Tf NI Product Owner

Well, sorry. I'm just trying to help!

6. blackavenger

Well, that's arguable. FLAC's file size is smaller, yet produces the same quality sound.
    Maybe HDD space isn't important to you, but it is to some.

Regardless, just keep hounding NI, I'm sure you'll at least get a response.
    Also, have you opened a help ticket w' them?

7. blackavenger

I wasn't thinking of AIFF.

ALAC is always 2MB to 6MB larger than it's FLAC counterpart.
    That might not seem like much when comparing 2 files, but multiply that
    by (tens of) thousands, and you can see why I endorse FLAC over ALAC.

You are correct, ALAC is still supported by Serato products (I use both platforms).
    Sounds to me like Native have created some major bug w' ALAC that they don't
    feel like addressing, or it's a licensing issue that they no longer want to pay for.
    Either way, something is very fishy.

Good luck going forward, ImNoDJ. But based on my experience w' NI, I would just
    move on to AIFF, or find a way to incorporate FLAC.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mastermc

mastermc NI Product Owner

believe it or not even if you convert from alac to flac , there is a way to keep your loops grids and cue points .

PM me if you interested and I will teach you how .

• Like Like x 1
  9. FunkyBrewster

FunkyBrewster NI Product Owner

The other thing is, do you really need iTunes? It has some unique and useful features, but the limited format support and s-l-o-wness of it on Windows put me off of it a while ago. I only use FLAC and MP3 now because they are practically 100% reliable on everything that supports them.

Foobar for converting (from AIFF, etc.) and tagging, plus MusicBee for normal playback and library management works great with Traktor for me. Changes to tags stay in the files themselves so they're always up to date whatever I open them in. The catch is smart playlists, and whether you can achieve the same thing by using MusicBee's Auto-Playlist (+ Automatically export a static copy) option to achieve similar playlist integration.

I don't mean to diminish what you're saying at all, -- this is a major problem that shouldn't have been allowed to happen. I'm just saying there may be another way to work around it, depending on your workflow that doesn't require massively increasing your storage space (and back space, and time to back up, etc.) requirements. AIFF works fine on Windows for me, but it takes 35-40% more space than FLAC, and that seems like a waste.

10. Buffman

Buffman NI Product Owner

Just wanted to add my particular Traktor / Itunes workflow to this discussion. I don't use the Itunes node in Traktor, though I could but it is indeed slow. Instead, when I'm adding any new tracks to my collection, I always add them to Itunes first. I have "copy files to Itunes Media Folder checked, but not "keep Itunes Media folder organized". So Itunes copies the new tracks in a nicely organized fashion. Then I drag the tracks from Itunes into my Traktor collections, so the tracks are always located in the same place on both (which is why I can't let Itunes reorganize). Then I can draft a workflow playlist in Itunes - and maybe listen to it at the gym on my Ipod. When I'm ready, I can drag the whole playlist into a playlist on Traktor. I can play around with it in Traktor, and later I can drag the Traktor playlist into Itunes.

So, for me, Flac is useless, Aiff is a hog, but the only decent if I want to keep my workflow.

This whole business reminds me of the games between the tv content providers and distributers like Directv/Comcast. I'm hoping I can keep using 2.6.8 on windows long enough to see the logjam break.

11. mastermc

mastermc NI Product Owner

got your point loud and clear so I will not spend time explaing my solution .

12. Richard Giuliani

Richard Giuliani New Member

I just wanted to support this extremely detailed and well-written post. I'm in the same boat as ImNoDJ. I have thousands of files in ALAC format that took me many many hours to digitize. I can't go back to an older version of Traktor that will play them as I just purchased the new Kontrol S8 which requires version 2.7. So I too am SOL. I cannot play any of my ALAC files. I am hoping that NI hears our frustration and releases an update that rectifies the situation as I don't have the time to go back and re-digitize all of my CDs as a different file format. And even if I did, ImNoDJ has pointed out the issues inherent in using some of the other formats. Frustrating to be sure, particularly since I just shelled out a ton of cash to support NI with my purchase of the S8. Thanks again for clearly articulating the situation.

13. knappy

knappy NI Product Owner

I am having the same issue on my Mac 10.8.5 ... 2.7 and 2.7.1 don't seem to play my ALAC files either. Very frustrating... I realized it hours before a private event fortunately i rolled back... Which looks like i'll be doing again after trying 2.7.1.... no time to convert now... SMH

14. knappy

knappy NI Product Owner

i hear you but mac osx 10.8.5
    2.6.8 ALAC fine
    2.7.0 ALAC broken
    2.7.1 ALAC broken

Sadly i just rolled back to 2.6.8 again

15. [chris b]

[chris b] NI Product Owner

I'd be demanding a full refund if I was you.

16. [chris b]

[chris b] NI Product Owner

I wouldn't hold your breath. NI have treated paying customers with absolute contempt as far as this is concerned. I doubt I'll buy any product from them again if they are this untrustworthy.

17. Richard Giuliani

The beta 2.7.2 that just was released appears to have quietly fixed the ALAC support issue. Just tried out two tracks and they're playing fine. Happy to have my collection back. Funny how they don't mention anything about the issue in the Release Notes

18. Richard Giuliani

19. Richard Giuliani

Not sure why my files appear to be playing. I just did another test, which I'll explain and perhaps you can point out if I'm doing something wrong.

I'm on a Mac running OS 10.10.2 with Traktor 2.7.2 and using iTunes 12.0.1.26 to encode my CDs.

In iTunes I have my import settings set to "Import using: Apple Lossless Encoder" with the Setting on "Automatic" (which I can't change).

The resulting files are tagged as .m4a files and are as large as I'd expect a lossless file to be. I checked to make sure it should be stored as an .m4a and this is what I found "Apple Lossless files are stored in the MPEG 4 container and have a .m4a extension." so that appears to be correct.....

Now when I drag the file into Traktor, it plays. And the files wouldn't play under 2.7.1

Remember I'm using a Kontrol S8 but I don't know why that would make any difference.

Am I doing something wrong in my encoding workflow? And I know you're on a Windows machine, so I suspect that the Windows version 2.7.2 continues to be broken. Just to be clear, the ALAC issue was not only a problem for Windows users. I was not able to play my files on my Mac system either.

I hope this helps you troubleshoot and/or I hope NI fixes the Windows version as well.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  20. ctkraag

ctkraag New Member