1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Traktor & hercules RMX

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR 3' started by AngryofMayfair, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AngryofMayfair

AngryofMayfair Forum Member

Just got my sweaty hands on a Hercules RMX and loving it - it works great with Traktor3 straight out of the box, even better with a bit of midi tweaking :)

Attached Files:

2. djreff

djreff NI Product Owner

you lucky dog

:D :D :D

i just cant wait for this unit

please try to submit info on ease of use

tks files

win or pc

will it run on xp media edition

again you lucky dog:D :D :D

3. Adrian Luvdup

Adrian Luvdup New Member

I would love to know what tweaks you've made with your tks? Would you share a copy so I can try it out on my Rmx?

I agree with you, it's a fantastic piece of kit for the price tag in my opinion. And it looks, to use a phrase from my teenage years, "well fit".

4. kdean101

kdean101 Forum Member

An updated TKS file would be cool!

5. AngryofMayfair

OK, here's some more info - just my thoughts over the last few days as that's all the time I have had it...

It weighs a ton! Well, I couldn't resist taking the bottom cover off to have a look inside and something rather surprising that I found was a huge great block of solid steel (see pic) - now I could be kind to Hercules and think that this is being used as a electrical shield but my guess is that it's purpose is to add more weight and make it feel bullet-proof and expensive
    Over-all though it does seems quite well built and it feels as solid as a brick - it should stand up to a lot of mobile abuse I would think, especially with the supplied carry case which is reasonably padded.
    Not sure I would want to heave it around on my shoulder too far though...

I'm amazed that Hercules have managed to power the whole thing from the USB port - they even removed the PS option of the last model.
    My MacBook Pro does not always like it - sometimes when I plug the RMX in I get an over-current warning on the MBP but it still seems to work OK and has never come up with the warning after it has been plugged in and is being used...

I'm having some problems with the turntable and aux inputs - after a while of playing vinyl the sound goes very distorted and scratchy. Sometimes it will play for 30 mins sometimes it happens within 5mins.
    Have been messing around with the latency settings in Traktor to try and eliminate this but so far no luck :(
    I was having the exact same problem with my Behringer BCD3000 and Traktor though so I'm not sure at this stage where the problem lies - it's probably more of a Traktor/MacBook Pro problem than the RMX.

The aux inputs also seem to be a bit weak on the gain side of things - have to max out the gain pots for both my turntable and minidisc player to get them to match mp3 playback.

As for ease of use - well it seems well laid out and the fader quality is reasonable - the two Vol faders are ever so slightly weighted compared to the cross-fader - a nice design touch, they feel good with the little extra resistance.
    There are no centre detents though for any of the faders or sliders - would have been nice for the balance and EQ rotaries...

The finish is good in general but it would have been sweet if they had gone for a more 'brushed' or smoother duller look, more like the MacBook Pro's finish.

I don't think I can comment about general useability - for *my* needs it's close to perfect but then I'm a bit of an oldie and just using it to make Old Farts Radio Mixes - I did do a fair bit of *real* mobile DJ stuff in the mid/late 70's and could never have even dreamt of this kind of thing back in those days :D :)

My modified tks is attached - Hercules supply a Traktor RMX template and it works quiet well (for me) - they use the top centre 'Scratch' button to switch between Looping and FX settings for the six unlabelled buttons each side as well as using the scratch wheels for FX gain/Feedback (FX Buttons 1 & 2) - my mods are nothing really radical as yet but I rearranged the Loop & FX keys to make a bit more sense to me so that they did similar things to both the Loops and the FX settings, depending on if the 'Scratch' button is held.
    Also I made the 'up & down' track selection buttons into 'repeat' mode so that you don't need to press a dozen times to scroll down a dozen tracks.
    I have also made use of the 'kill' buttons (don't need them for my type of mixing, quite happy with the faders!) to add some 'Cue' functionality - I use 'Treble Kill' as 'Cue Set' and 'Medium Kill' as 'Cue Instant Play'

That's about it for now - generally I'm really impressed with the RMX's capabilities *for my needs*...

Sorry for the long post but I hope it helps :)

Attached Files:

6. djreff

djreff NI Product Owner

many thanks my friend and keep on ( d train)

im an ld fart too

7. Adrian Luvdup

Adrian Luvdup New Member

Thanks for that AngryofMayfair! Love the name by the way, as a big fan of the Kenny Everett Show as a nipper!:)

8. AngryofMayfair

Your welcome Adrian - let me know if you need any more info.

Yes, good old KE was pure genius - it's a huge pity he's not around these days to show us all a thing or two with the current sound machines - what he did with the old 70's analogue stuff was amazing - he would love the stuff we have to play with these days :)

9. chachakoala

chachakoala NI Product Owner

Have you had the chance to compare it with a vestax vci-100 as far as the controller is concerned? I have a Hercules DJ MP3 and i'm pretty ok with, despite the toy aspect and I also have a Firewire 410 wich i simply love. I'm hesistating but i'm interessted in getting a new CONTROLLER.

10. picknicker1971

picknicker1971 New Member

Traktor; Hercules RMX and externeal Soundcard M-Audio Audiophile FWse my Audiophile

Hi,

can I use a Midi-Controller (e.g. Hercules RMX) just as a controller and use my external Audiophile Soundcard instead of the built in one ?
    I heard that the built in soundcards are .... well.... not that great....

Picknicker

11. buenputter

buenputter NI Product Owner

I used to do that with my Herc Console (Midi-Controller) + my ScratchAmp (sound-card) and am using my Faderfoxes / Doepfer / Denon DN-HD2500 besides my Audio8DJ.

12. jrodas77

jrodas77 New Member

Hercules RMX Time coded vinyl

Thinking of picking up this console, has anyone used there turntables and a set time coded vinyl records? If so what program was used, VDJ or Tracktor?

13. Adrian Luvdup

Adrian Luvdup New Member

Hi AngryofMayfair,

One quick question I wish to ask you as a fellow Mac/Rmx/Traktor user - I installed the drivers on my new Macbook, and when I open the drop down menu for soundcard in Traktor 3, I have 2 options for Hercules DJ Console RMX and also an option for Aggregate Device which all seem to work perfectly with the console (outputs 1 & 2 for Master, outputs 3 & 4 for monitor), but I thought there should be an option for Hercules DJ Console RMX Aggregate that you selected according to the Hercules site? Is this the option you have on yours?

As I said, I just choose one of the Hercules DJ Console RMX options at the moment, but I want to be sure this is OK. I'm new to Mac and don't really understand the whole aggregate thing. I wonder why the Hercules DJ Console RMX Aggregate option isn't available in my soundcard selection?

Regards,

Adrian

14. AngryofMayfair

G'day Adrian,
    Aggregate devices are sort of hybrid audio combinations that you have to create using Audio Midi Setup found in Utilities.
    I *think* I had to make the Hercules Aggregate device myself, I can't really remember but I don't think it was supplied during the Hercules install.
    I'm using the Hercules DJ Console RMX Aggregate device and it all seems to work pretty much OK except that I cannot make the line/phono inputs work reliably - I always end up getting massive distortion after a while, no matter what audio latency I select.
    Closing down Traktor and then restarting it fixes it for a while but it always bombs out after a while - not sure if this is a Herc prob (doubt it as I also get similar results with a BCD3000) or if it's a Traktor or OSX problem at this stage.
    Other than this ext input (to the RMX) problem, Traktor and the RMX seem to work 100% good.
    If your Hercules Soundcard Device settings work OK then I wouldn't worry too much about making an Aggregate device - BUT I think I found that I had no monitor output to the headphones or I could not map that output when I tried using the non-aggrevated Herc device...
    If you need to make up the aggregated device then let me know and I will get back to you

edit - I think you will find that with the standard Herc device that there are no options to select/map input devices and that's why I ended up creating an Aggrevated Device

15. Adrian Luvdup

Adrian Luvdup New Member

Cheers for the reply,

The gear works absolutely fine, I DJ-ed last Sunday for two hours at a large club with no problems and have spent hours playing with it at home. The headphones/cue work fine, and my latency is a really low 7ms with no sound problems.

I guess if it ain’t broke, leave it alone, even if it doesn’t seem to be exactly set up as Hercules describe (http://ftp.hercules.com/sound/TDJS/current/RMX-Traktor3_Config_MAC.pdf).

Best Regards,

Adrian

16. AngryofMayfair

Were you able to play anything via the RMX ext inputs - minidisc to line in or turntable to phono in?
    I think not - (I hope I am wrong!) - that's why I had to set up an aggregated device I think....

17. Adrian Luvdup

Adrian Luvdup New Member

i've not tried this, but I'll hook up my iPod tonight and see what happens. Will be a good way to see if I get the sound problems you've been experiencing too.

18. AngryofMayfair

Excellent - thanks for the help, I hope I/we can get to the bottom of this as I have a lot of vinyl I want to record and Traktor/RMX seems to be capable of decent results except when the audio 'looses it'...

Make sure you let the iPod play for at least 30 mins - sometimes it takes that long before I get the glitches/distortion

Many thanks

19. wild_andy_c

wild_andy_c Forum Member

Can anyone atest whether this is "yet another hercules effort" and not any kind of contender to a Torq or VCI 100 ?

20. c242

c242 NI Product Owner

I own one since a few weeks, DJ'd online with it a few times and tested it at home. I still have to hear it in a club (1st time on May, 30) to have a complete picture. What happened to me 2 times was Traktor totally going berzerk in the middle of a gig like spinning the track backwards and switching on loops and other controls out of nowhere. I can't reproduce what hapenned yet, so I can't say what causes that exactly. The only workarround was quitting Traktor and unplug the console, plugging it in and starting Traktor again. After that everything went right for another 1 1/2 hours. My suspicion is that it was caused by electrostatic charge of myself, but I have to watch that again.

The overall hardware quality and feel is miles above the other Hercules controllers though (owned a Console MP3 before).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.