TRAKTOR KONTROL S4 MK2 Is Not Recognized after Updating Windows 10

Discussion in 'KONTROL S2 / KONTROL S4' started by Toby @ NI, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Toby @ NI

Toby @ NI NI Team NI Team

Hi everyone,

It has come to our attention that the
    TRAKTOR KONTROL S4 MK2 is no longer recognised in the latest Windows 10 update (update KB4487017). Our engineers have been looking into this issue and have concluded that the problem comes from recent changes that Microsoft have made in their OS. We have contacted Microsoft to let them know and we will update you as soon as we hear back from them.

For those who have been affected, please refer to this knowledge base article for more information:

https://support.native-instruments....-Is-Not-Recognized-after-Updating-Windows-10-

Thanks,

Toby@NI

• Like Like x 1
  2. chilly

chilly Returning Customer

Thanks Toby!

3. simon moans

simon moans New Member

Hi
    Any movement on this yet.
    Very frustratingo_Oo_O

• Like Like x 1
  4. DJ Klimax

DJ Klimax New Member

Having only just found out about this problem, any work around for those who can't remove the windows updates as we're beyond the 10 day limit?

Any news on a proper fix?

5. Xfactor2012

Xfactor2012 New Member

This is also happening with Win 7, I went through all the standard troubleshooting with no resolve. USB LED on the controller is solid. All cables are in good working order, tried different USB ports etc. Any advise would be helpful

6. Ikazz

Ikazz New Member

Guys. I too had this probIem just befor event. Day after I found the problem. It is windows security update - KB4487044. Remove it!!

7. DJ Klimax

DJ Klimax New Member

Unfortunately, with the default windows 10 setup you cannot remove windows updates once they've been loaded for more than 10 days (so if you've only just found this thread that probably applies to you). However, you should be able to restore to a system restore point created before the offending windows updates were installed.

Open file explorer, right click on 'This PC' and choose properties. the 'Advanced System Settings', 'System Protection' tab and then 'System Restore.

I had a system restore point available for 22nd Feb, which for me was when the problem windows updates were loaded. As I only use the laptop for Traktor and hadn't changed any apps or loaded any new files since the 22nd of Feb I went ahead and restored to this point.

If you do a system restore you will lose any changes made since the date of the restore point.

Once the restore was complete, which took an hour or two. I went into 'settings', 'update and security', 'Windows Update', 'Advanced options' and selected 'Pause Updates'. This stops windows updates loading for 35 days (including the problem ones). I'm now back to a fully working S4 Mk2 controller, Traktor 3.1.1 on windows 10.

Hopefully, 35 days gives NI time to resolve the problem properly.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Raúl T.O.

Raúl T.O. New Member

Thak you, Kimax, for your contribution. Unfortunately that case quoted on your 1st paragraph applies to me :( In the beginning I was capable of removing the update ending in KB4487017, something which brought my S4 to life again. Unfortunately, after these days this problem has shown up again, but what worries me the most is the fact that the same update (KB4487017) is not present or available for uninstall on the same Windows config. menu that I used to remove it on my first experience.

As I did the other time, I tried to remove the most recent update (a "KB" different to the infamous KB4487017), but with no success.

Therefore, now I only have the option of restoring my system to a point where everything worked. Or wait for NI's repair of this issue...:(

9. CCapcik

CCapcik New Member

Am I the only one that finds it frustrating that NI hasn't even updated us on the update? I had 2 laptops victim to the update. One machine running Windows 7 and 1 running window 10 home. When this happened I bought and updated the 7 machine to windows 10 pro. The problem there is I have no restore points since I just upgraded in hopes that it would fix this.

On my 10 machine I was able to remove the update and get it to work. The problem I have is that the toggle for automatic updates is not an option and therefore it wants to keep updating.

NI has a ticket from me and has not not responded other than the published fix. No update and NO ONE EVER ANSWERS THE PHONE EVER!!

This lack of support and communication is forcing me to look at other options which is sad since this is the product that I've used and loved for so long. I feel like Im ending a relationship with a girl I really like a lot but she has communication and trust issue....and never wants to talk about them.

10. CCapcik

CCapcik New Member

I found success on 7 in removing any updates around Feb 12-14th

11. CCapcik

CCapcik New Member

Any update to a resolve?

12. Toby @ NI

Toby @ NI NI Team NI Team

Hi Guys, we have no update for you unfortunately. As stated before this is not an issue with our products but actually something in Microsoft's code base, so there very little we can do. Having said that I am trying hard to figure out a way to escalate this issue so Microsoft look into as soon as possible.

I'm sorry for providing what must be an unsatisfactory reply but at least rest assured, this is a top priority and we will do what we can to fix it for you guys.

Thanks,

Toby@NI

13. Raúl T.O.

Raúl T.O. New Member

Hopefully there may be some engineers at Microsoft sharing the same problem as us...o_O

14. Xfactor2012

Xfactor2012 New Member

Thks that worked

15. CCapcik

CCapcik New Member

Happy to help

16. CCapcik

CCapcik New Member

Also be sure to google how to turn off automatic updates windows 7. It will try to update again and you will be in the same boat.

17. beaubryte

beaubryte NI Product Owner

Same situation here, but KB4487017 is not present on my system.
    The update involved in my case is KB4487044, it's exactly the same update but for other windows 10 builds.

18. MagneticVoid

MagneticVoid New Member

Well, i understand your standpoint, but Microsoft will hardly do an effort to fix this on their own. They released this as a security update, so probably they consider certain kind of communication over USB, where the device has probably direct access to memory as vulnerability. So reverting that would expose this vulnerability again and thats something that MS wont do. Unfortunately Traktor uses the same 'feature' to communicate with NI devices.

Now that 10 days to revert this are passed there is a full world of users using NI products on Windows that are stuck with malfunctioning hardware. In my opinion the fastest way to remedy this would be if you would take this into account and refactor the way your devices communicate to be compliant with their current security policy and release a patch for the drivers. Im aware that this is not an easy task, but its something that you can actually do to help your users, rather then leave us at mercy of Microsoft.

19. Marc Guillem Gutierrez

Marc Guillem Gutierrez New Member

Try to download old windows 10 iso and update it. Then remove the update KB....44.

20. frasermoo

frasermoo New Member

This is nuts. Pretty much every day I am having to uninstall updates on my PC to get the hardware working. No way we should be waiting this long for a patch.