Traktor pro 3 loop issues and sound drops

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by kdejaeger, Oct 19, 2018.

1. kdejaeger

kdejaeger NI Product Owner

If loops trigger wrong. Or your sounds drops. Be aware it's probably not your computer! It's a software bug since 2017! Also still present in the latest pro 3.0 version.

See video:

I hope NI fixes this issue now that it became more public.
    It is 100% reproducable, even the Traktor support desk told me they could reproduce it.

And if you can't see this video, it means this issue had been fixed. That's the deal!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  2. Royal Tee

Royal Tee NI Product Owner

What are your specs?
    Why are you on battery?
    Do you have your laptop set to high performance in the power settings?
    What are your audio buffer settings?

3. [chris b]

[chris b] NI Product Owner

Did you miss this part?

4. kdejaeger

@djrtnyc none of those things matter in this case.

5. Royal Tee

Royal Tee NI Product Owner

No.
    afa the wrong loop playing, that's an issue but that lag/skipping bad performance can easily be attributed to 1 or most of the things I asked...

Again, was just trying to help but people really seem to have an issue with people trying to.
    Good luck with it. hope it works out for you.

6. [chris b]

[chris b] NI Product Owner

Don't you think the two are possibly linked?

He's been in contact with support. I think if the issue was his settings/laptop they would have let him know when he first reported it in 2017.

7. kdejaeger

Let's focus on the audio dropping. That's really the most annoying thing. You're mixing A to B. Change a loop and suddenly no more sound. How great is that.

8. snowbro

snowbro NI Product Owner

When I look at the beginning of your video, it takes a really long time to load the track It shows up inch by inch. When I load a track, it's instant, the whole track is there in a flash. That makes me think your computer is at fault. If you use your laptop for anything at all (internet, games, facebook, youtube...) + dj'ing, that's when problems start to occur. I'm no techie, but I think that, when playing a track, Traktor is "reading" it from your harddrive, it doesn't load the track in a special memory spot. So if you jump from one loop or cuepoint and your harddrive is too slow, it will go from slow to even slower, resulting in audio dropouts.

Further more, I can see the gridding is not on the beat (but maybe that's because sometimes, when posting something on YouTube, the video/audio sync gets messed up. Maybe tomorrow I will try to analyse a track, then put in lotsa loops and see what happens when I jump from one point to the other and back..

And try the same thing, but turn of snap and/or Quantise..do the problem still occur?

9. kdejaeger

HI snowbro. Snapping/quantise on off makes no difference. I think it's a software bug in Traktor and how it handles flac files. They have access to the flac file and the loop points. They can reproduce it like this. Now it's up to them to fix it. All my tracks are flac files, I have no clue why this one and some others are causing these issues.

10. kdejaeger

I can imagine the easiest for NI support would have been not to mention anything back about reprocability and just let it pile up with the other issues. Guess I had someone honest.

11. kdejaeger

I tested this a bit more, and it seems even better reproducable. Just need to go to loop 2 and right at the end of loop 2, go to loop 4. Then the sound stops. There's something unique with this beatgrid and loops probably that causes this issue. I prefer they fix this nasty use case.

12. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

Is it Flac only?
    A certain bitrate perhaps?
    I've heard of issues with Flac on mobile devices skipping. Unrelated but this was a long time ago and was certain bitrates.
    Are you playing from a USB device?
    And yes if it loads slow and the waveform is at all unstable this points to a reading issue.
    I used to have issues playing from an ext harddrive and usb 2.0.
    If on the main drive, do you have a solid state drive?
    If it is only certain flac files I would guess an encoding problem.
    But if all flac files load slower than mp3 or wav I would guess the computer just isn't fast enough.

13. kdejaeger

SSD.
    All my flac files were normalized in volume with the same program.

I think I will do a little experiment. I'll make an MP3 of it. See how that goes. And check if it still occurs with the same beatgrid data. I still have the original flac as well. These test should help NI further.

14. kdejaeger

I just tested this. So made an mp3 and copied over the <tempo> and <cue_v2> tags in the nml file. Cannot reproduce then.
    Loading as some of you mentioned is not faster with me on mp3 than it is on flac. With loading I mean the waveform get's detailed drawn when switching loops and loading initially.

However, looking more into this loading, this is another valuable clue for the NI developers, it seems when the problem occurs the loading seems 'blocked'. Also very visible in the video. Instead of the waveform being drawn, it just seems to be blocked.

15. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

Are you loading directly from your laptop or an external drive?
    If the issue can't be reproduced with mp3 I am not surprised, what would be interesting is to test different bitrate conversions of flac.
    Is this happening on every flac file?
    Also if these files are all originally mp3 and have been converted, there is no benefit to flac. All that mp3 to flac does is increase file size.

What are your computer specifications?

16. kdejaeger

Only some flacs. All of them were normalized the same way, so all have same bitrate.

Internal SSD.

17. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

So are these converted from mp3, or was the original sound saved at a lossless format.
    My main question is are these Flac files a conversion from an already lower quality file?

I would suggest just using mp3 instead for the problem files, especially if they came from that format or lower quality, you can't add back what was taken out anyway.
    That said, you could very well have original lossless format that you have purchased or recieved from people in the music industry. But for most of us, the real truth is just mp3 at a bitrate that works well for size and quality.

Also I have seen some volume normalizing go horribly wrong for music, the applications sometimes rewrite the file as a clipped or lower quality. I pretty much just stick to Traktor for the auto gain. If the file was already too loud and clipping, no normalizing will fix that.

The problem, although I may be mistaken is the encoding and possibly file size of certain FLAC files you have. Traktor is not reading these correctly? Or your laptop is not capable of processing these files, I am no where near educated enough to tell you the ins and outs of bitrate and encoding. But I have a basic understanding of how much more processing power (CPU load) it takes when using higher quality audio. Although I am not sure how Traktor deals with higher quality or if it is a significant change in CPU load.(I just assume it is.)

Also the fact that you are having that loading issue really points towards some CPU load that is going on.

What are your laptop specifications? Maybe also post a screenshot of your latency settings.
    What soundcard are you using? Internal? Controller? External?
    Check all your drivers for current versions.
    If you don't mind about 20usd Driver Booster is an application I pay for. Windows update doesn't update most of the drivers and when it does is way behind.

How many cores? Your ram(needs to be at least 4g but really 8g is better)

Are you running any major tasks such as virus protection?

I see you have SSD but how full is it?
    It's very easy to max out a drive and slow your computer down. Many stock SSD are at the most 256gb most being 128gb.

18. kdejaeger

I always buy lossless tracks, whenever possible.
    None of your questions matter. NI needs to look into this now, since they can also reproduce it. They're capable of finding either a bug in their software or pointing out how this flac is somehow buggy.

19. kdejaeger

I'm just desperately trying to reach NI to put an engineer to look into this. I hope they lift their lazy butt to check it out now. It's been too long.

20. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

Cool so you did buy lossless, sorry if none of my troubleshooting matters, good luck waiting for NI to figure it out.