1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Traktor S4 and USB 3

Discussion in 'KONTROL S2 / KONTROL S3 / KONTROL S4' started by Pocketjem, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Pocketjem

Pocketjem New Member

Hi all

I'm using a Traktor S4 (& Traktor 2.5) with MS Windows at the moment, but I have various problems with the sound. I'm defecting over to the other side and getting a new MacBook Pro.

I notice that the new MacBooks only have USB3 ports and i'd like to confirm that the S4 is compatible with USB3 before shelling out on the MacBook.

Does anyone have real life experience of an S4 and USB3 on a MacBook? If so, i'd love to hear your opinions. the last thing I want to do is spend a load of money on a Mac and still have issues.

Thanks

Jem

2. davscanlon

davscanlon NI Product Owner

The ports on the new MBPro are actually both, it will recognise which you have plugged in and work accordingly, go to the Apple website and check it out.

3. Pocketjem

Pocketjem New Member

Yes, but do you have first hand experience of plugging a Traktor S4 into the USB3 port on a MacBook Pro and running it with Traktor Software?

Seems to me that the S4 (and Traktor Pro) is a fussy little beggar, some things it likes and some it doesn't. I've used the S4 with a few different Windows laptops and all of them have had one problem or another, mainly with clicking of the sound and lag/latency issues.

This is one reason i'm abandoning Windows and moving over to the Mac platform as it seems there are much less issues when using an S4 and Traktor Pro Software.

I guess i'm just being a little cautious here as the new MacBooks are pretty expensive and I don't want to get hit with problems once i've shelled out that sort of money.

Thanks for your input though ;)

Cheers

Jem

4. Mystic38

Mystic38 NI Product Owner

The issue with USB 3.0 was with certain manufactueres USB3.0 ports whihc were not as "backward compatible" as advertised.. it seems there are now updated drivers.. a search in the forum on this, MBP compatability and any and all items is advised before you spend $2000.

Personally I am surprised that for the sake of 30mins tuning the laptop you are off to spend $2000 on a MBP but its your cash!..

..and dont think MBP have zero issues.

5. ingo0815

ingo0815 Forum Member

hey guys,
    bought yesterday the new macbook 13" 2,9 GHZ etc.
    usb 3.0 right.
    just installed traktor & my S4 and what happens? a ****! if i dont use the S4 and only internal soundcard it works, as soon as i use the s4 my speaker make a horrible sound. hope its not really a usb 3.0 problem or i go crazy.
    just did the switch from win to mac bec of this.
    anyone ideas?
    the sound that i hear is if i dont start a track just a silent bom...bom....bom and as soon as i start the track its like u mix a very loud track wir breaking glas.
    cheers
    ingo

6. makar1

makar1 Forum Member

I would suggest you either bring your S4 (or any other NI audio interface you may have) to the Apple store and ask to try it out before buying, or wait for more reports from people who have bought the laptop you are interested in.

The ports on the new MBP are actually not both, otherwise the S4 would work. There is absolutely no mention of such functionality on the Apple website in the tech specs of the new Macbooks.

Ingo - I get a similar response when using my S4 through USB3, it all seems fine until I try to play a track, at which point the interface goes into a 'panic' state as shown in the S4 control panel. There doesn't seem to be anything we can do except wait for a fix from NI.

7. Count Zero

Count Zero ModerAUtor Moderator

There is another thread on this already. Have a search. I think someone in that thread has tried the new MBP 3.0 ports without success too.

8. makar1

makar1 Forum Member

Yes, I tried out my A2DJ on a retina MBP today and it didn't work properly (lots of distortion).
    I think at least one person has bought the new MBP and reported their S4 does not work on it.

9. Kenny MacCormick

Kenny MacCormick NI Product Owner

The S4 is only compatible with USB 2.0 as it states in the box and in the manual, period. Apple is always "so modern"

10. dex7aa

dex7aa New Member

Just recieved answer from support team

11. htc_1518

htc_1518 New Member

hi there, i just bought the new macbook pro 13 inch the other day installed the traktor pro 2.5 and it was working fine with my s4 and f1. but the next day i updated the mac's os and had trouble with crackling sounds. then the same day i reinstalled the old operating system for mac everything was back to normal.latency is not an issue for me anymore. and that answered my questions as well if the new macbook is both usb 2.0 and usb 3.0. probably ni needs to update their drivers for the latest mac software. hoped it helped you guys.

12. Rapskallion

Rapskallion NI Product Owner

Thanks for the info - sounds a bit more promising now :)

13. I.A.N.

I.A.N. New Member

USB 3.0 on new MBP doesn't work

Just reiterating for everyone that the new Macbook Pro's are not working with the S4. All you get is horrible clicks and pops when trying to play a track. Hopefully the fix will come out soon. In the meantime, I'm using my old Mac as a backup.

14. djjerry29

djjerry29 New Member

My new MacBook air with USB 3.0 had problem with s4 too,I just call apple service n they said had a new update for USB 3 for download
    , I still haven't try coz the MacBook air n s4 not at my side, every bro can try to update from apple n can tell us here!

15. htc_1518

htc_1518 New Member

the new macbook pro 13 inch works with the s4, its actually a hybrid usb 2.0 and 3.0 . just dont update the software of the mac. from the box i installed traktor pro 2.5 it worked, no problems noted. but when i updated the mac os to 10.7.4 traktor crashed. so i did was reinstalled the old os and had to totally reboot my mac

16. ingo0815

ingo0815 Forum Member

how did u go back to the old version htc? it really works?

17. htc_1518

htc_1518 New Member

yes ingo it does work, the 8gb ram works great i can go to the fastest possible latency. i just reboot th"e whole mac.

18. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

Could you post a screenshot or some pics of this? Or the working driver that is enabling 2.0 to work?
    You only have 3 posts? So I wonder what you had before this.
    What version Traktor are you running?
    What latency is your F1 set at?
    Oh also, do you have any 3.0 devices such as a hard drive. If 2.0 is working and does the 3.0 still work.

Also you should contact NI support and give them your info/specs/driver versions. This is a major issue for those of us thinking about going to new laptops. Any and all help is a plus.

19. ingo0815

ingo0815 Forum Member

i phoned with apple today to know if a reset of this is possibl. they say no bec there r no installation cd's anymore and the os download on the website is already the version WITH the update. so i dont know how u did and if this is true. can u please explain and if its really like that tell it to NI because they hav really no idea how to fix it.

20. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

You know just reboot?what I am just as lost as you. I hope HTC is not making blah. 3posts?