1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi all!

A quick update on our Summer of Sound sale, which went live earlier this week. While the sale has already been active both on our website and with retailers worldwide, we felt that it was not the right time to do any marketing around it. We felt that there were more important voices and messages that needed to be heard during this time.

We know that this a popular sale and that many of our regular customers look forward to this event each year, so we just wanted to let you know why we have not communicated about it so far. All communication will be going live on Monday, in the meantime, we hope that you will find something in our sale that excites you. Stay safe and happy music making.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Traktor Scratch and Ableton Live on MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by sijaffer, Jan 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. signaturex

signaturex NI Product Owner

quite frankly -- unless youve got a bunch of beat griidding and loop markers, and tags set. the analysis files are garbage. it takes traktor 15-45 seconds to do this. Doing two thousand songs -- well this can take some work and computer cpu cycles. All the time you spent getting your collection into itunes ... imagine doing that over again. So I would suggest doing some experiments and talking to apple computers a little bit on the best way to do this stuff. Someone has to address these issues.

here is my situation.

I have about 30,000 songs in itunes. On three hardrives And I have an additional itunes library from two other machines that I have to archive and make available to my system somehow. I also have thousands of duplicates.

truthfulley right now how i am composing mixes. I use the finder and do a system wide search. I type whatever funney word is in my head and I see what i come up with:p its pretty simple.. sigh :confused: then i drag the files onto the decks and have a session.

For itunes I have done what i was talking about in my alternative library management thread.

For months I was having all these issues with Itunes playlists and so was my DJ So we did the same thing. We used them together and also aimed our sights at not using Itunes anymore. If a track wouldn't play in traktor it played in Itunes. And if the track wouldn't play on either than we played a record.

I finally got sick of too much library bologne issues and I have completely minimized my traktor library. I have now 165 tracks in traktor. Basically the composition of my new Remix project.

I am using sync now instead of itunes to prelisten and analyze tracks. I think it sounds a little better. and its crossfades are better. It does lack some browsing functions that Itunes has but for the most part its doing well. And not crashing.

I did have a number of really great playlists in tunes. So then when I would try to import an itunes playlist. It was 15 - 20 minutes of traktor thinking about my entire itunes library. Not acceptable.

Those playlists are more important than Itunes Heirarchial structure. Having all the artists in the same folder etc. Sorting like this is always possible by just ordering the songs in the playlist by cell value.

More important to me is when I got the music and how it is related to other music that I got at the same time and How i had it arranged in those playlists. So ive been exporting those playlists from Itunes as xml files and then opening the actual exported xml file in sync instead of my itunes library. Then I paste the playlist into a sync/traktor playlist and then use the archive function to extract the tracks from Itunes world and get them into a safe special place near traktor and in traktor's language. Then I have much fewer issues with the tracks playback and communication with itunes and its massive library. The tracks are in one of my crates in the order of the original itunes playlist.

I also write the Itunes tags to the playlists files before I do the export process.(careful with / drm protection!) So that I have my info edits. And also i do this thing where I add a comment to the songs in the playlist as a group so that I can call up all the songs from the Itunes main library. before I export them . when in the main itunes library I can delete them from the library. but not from the hardrive of course. So the exported xml file that I open in sync STILL works. Then the song tags are gone from my itunes library as well and not confusing me.

There is a specific order to do this in. ;) '

i am ending up with crates of records and crates on DVD.

If I want to find a group of songs by particular artist I search my finder. In the finder view I can order by kind size and date etc. giving me some control.

i am also starting work with Rapid evolution software. HAven't gotten alot accomplished with it yet. ..

If there is any thing you would like to know more about please feel free to ask.

2. sijaffer

sijaffer NI Product Owner

Hey native_girl
    is there a way to migrate the locked queues that I had from one pc to a mac? there are some songs that I had set queues as markers to where to start from, can they be migrated?

3. sijaffer

Well,

I had my first gig on the Mac and I have to say that I did not have any sound drop issues. I did not use Ableton on the same machine since I did not need to use it anyway for this perticular gig. I had presonus firebox set as the default output for itunes and only used Audio 8 DJ for TS. The Spaces worked out really well, I had TS on one and iTunes on another and my Lyrics on the third. Nice an Clean flow from one space to another. In the next few days I will test the Mac with TS connected to the A8DJ and Ableton connected to firebox, with Axiom 25 keys and trigger finger connected. See if there are any issues. there. I know I should seperate the two on individual computers, but I would like to test the system if it holds up.

4. claytonthechemist

claytonthechemist NI Product Owner

So has anyone been able to use Live and TS together on a Mac? I have to wait till late April to have enough money to purchase a Macbook Pro, and I can't wait to try the two together.

I have the TS crossgrade staring at me every day begging me to use it, but my iBook doesn't meet minimum requirements. Playing beats in Live off the iBook is okay, but I don't have enough processor to run reverb. What kind of self respecting beatsmith doesn't have reverb on their beats!

Be assurred that when I do have the Macbook Pro, I will do what I can to get the two to work together, and report back here.

5. sijaffer

6. claytonthechemist

Wow, looks like this is going to be an interesting time getting the two to work together. How about when you send Live's audio to the mac's line out (not ideal due to sound quality)?

7. signaturex

^^^^^^^^^^^
    for what its worth!

the macs audio card is far superior to the audio8

it even has an optical digital output connection. And you might find that it tends to cause much fewer glytches.

For the sytstem You are talking about it might be very optimal rub ableton on the stock card and then if the A8 fails youve got content in ableton to playback. Also--for recording -- the macs in-port is handy too. You can select it also in ableton and be recording your external mixers out put into the mac. Would recommend a recording hardrive though for this and pre-saving abletons recoring set onto that drive so the temp folder and recording files are on that drive while traktor is rocking your internal.

8. claytonthechemist

So I got my Macbook Pro and just had enough time last night to install TS and Live and do a quick check.

TS stopped responding when I opened Live. One thing I didn't do was make sure the two had the same latency settings, which I'll do tonight. Provided that fails, I'll try sending Live to the built in output and see how that works.

9. signaturex

I think it is really intersting that rthe MBP won't let programs share hardware. I know for sure that both programs will share the stock card. I think it must have something to do with the buffer or sample rate that you are using.. across th platform an the audio 8's drivers. There was a driver upgrade recently-- Everything should be consistant. all 48k or all 44.1 I had a configuration going this morning of PPC powerbook playing ableton thorugh the optical port and routing optical into the macbooks stock card and then reading that audio with a audio to midi decoder and then ableton playing the midi thorugh synths and using my motu traveler to play back the audio from live while sharing it with traktor and beatport sync player. Also Live was sending midi to traktor and recieving sync from traktor on both machines. hahahah.

10. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

if you mean cue points in tracks, then the answer is yes and can be found in the backup chapter of the T33 manual.

11. claytonthechemist

I did some additional testing. I tried matching the latency however I wasn't able to find an exact match in TS's latency selection to the one reported in Live. I selected the closest match, opened TS, then opened Live. Everything worked, however when I closed them both and opened again, then TS stopped responding with a red light on the audio indicator. So I wasn't able to consistently get the two to work through the Audio8.

I switched Live to the built in audio, and everything worked. I'll try more testing, but it looks like I'll have to use the built in for Live for now.

12. claytonthechemist

Did some more testing last night. I was able to get it to work through the Audio8 by setting Live's latency to 14.1 and TS's to 14. I tried lower latencies with no luck.

The best method for opening the programs is Live first and then TS. Sometimes TS's audio light will be red on the first open, so then I have to close it and open it again until the light is green. Then both programs function well.

I'm going to see how it works for an extended period of time rather then the quick tests I performed.

13. signaturex

14. frequencym

frequencym NI Product Owner

I played with this a bit using Live Lite 5.2 and TS 1.2. I was able to get it to work reliably if I started TS first, started a track playing in TS, then started live and started live playing. Once I did that in the 10 minutes I played with it I could start or stop either without issues.

Traktor was set to the default 2ms latency; Live I had set at 64 buffers (around 8ms I think). Live was running through out 1/2, a single track in traktor through 3/4 (don't have any other outs hooked up and too tired to go digging for a cable just before I go to bed).

15. claytonthechemist

I was able to lower the latency to 7 ms (Live's lowest available latency) on both, and it still works like a champ. Live was outputting to 5/6, and TS send effects routed through In 7/8, Out 7/8.

Now comes the trial by fire when I use it on our internet radio show (info in my sig).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  16. mixedsignal

mixedsignal Forum Member

what are the main diffrences between AbeltonLive and T3? I am a current user of TS.

17. claytonthechemist

Ableton Live is more of a song production and performance tool. Allowing you to make your own songs, or remix existing ones, and perform them live. T3 is more of DJing/Remix on the fly tool. Both programs overlap in some areas, and specialize in others. I find using both concurrently to be the best of both worlds.

18. mixedsignal

mixedsignal Forum Member

thanks man.....just kinda wanted to clear it up. Good ishhh.

19. claytonthechemist

I used TS and Live during the 3 hour IntheLounge show and the setup worked great. It's blurring the line between DJ set and live performance.

20. sijaffer

claytonthechemist,
    Please note that even when they work together, the song speed or time on TS is slower than normal, it seems that it changes the key/master tempo when ableton is on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.