Traktor Scratch CRASHES

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by darren-c, Aug 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darren-c

darren-c Forum Member

I've used vinyl records to DJ with for four years professionally; it's only recently that I have made the full switch to digital, using my Laptop. Last month I began using Traktor Scratch as I have my own residency in London where my parties are 13+ hours long. I have guest DJs with their own equipment, but can sometimes DJ for 6 hours or more, so Tracktor seemed to be the answer. Unfortunately this is far from the case as it has procedded to freeze and crash on many occasions. Very dissapointing.

I have been using both PCs and Macs for well over 10 years now, but decided to use my Apple Macbook Pro for Traktor Scratch. I've followed all the instructions, including the optimisation section of the manual, and still Traktor Scratch crashes completely unexpectedly at any point during a session. It's happened five times now including last sunday (12.08.07) in front of 500 clubbers who were all up until that point having a great time dancing.... then sudden silence, laughing, boo-ing and the good old error message "Tracktor Scratch has unexpected quit". Worst of all, I cannot prompt a crash, there's no obvious reason for the sudden freeze, it just happens entirely at random.

The questions now are endless; Did I make a mistake buying this product? ...Should I have got Serato? ...Would Traktor be more stable on a PC? ...Should I do a clean slate installation? (No, all other apps work!) ...Is it this bug in the app? ...Will there ever be an update? I'm assuming this will be an iteration of the current software so will naturally be a free bug fix upgrade.

It's becoming painfully clear that i'm by no means the only person experiencing severe problems with the reletivly expensive software and I'm beggining to feel regretful that I didn't just go for Serato.

Apple Macbook Pro / 10.4.10 / 2Ghz Intel Core Duo / 1GB 667MHz RAM

2. fenixdahouseket

fenixdahouseket Forum Member

Very strange, I've been using Traktor Scratch on the same machine as you are for 4 months now, doing 7 hour gigs as well, and I never even got a single crash...

I'd recommend you to make a seperate account in Mac OSX for TS-use only. That way, you'll run it with no background applications. It shouldn't make a difference, but you never know which unstable third-party background applications interfere with the Audio8 connection ...

3. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

also, please contact the support and send them your crashlogs.

did the crashes occur, when you were doing something in the browser, like strolling through several playlists or searching?

crashes related to that will be fixed in the upcoming 1.1 update, which is shortly before release.

4. darren-c

darren-c Forum Member

hi, after the first two crashes, I made a new account just optimised for TS only with Dashboard killer etc and no ther background apps running, yet still crashes unexpectedly.

5. sykesy69

sykesy69 New Member

I had my first crash since my purchase back in May...

Only the first time it decides to crash is when I finally playing out in front of a crowd of 300 who are absolutely loving it!

Native Girl, I'm using a PC Laptop, where can I find this crash log you talk about?

6. djquartz

djquartz NI Product Owner

Just a tip, in case you experience a crash and need to locate the crash log.

On Windows:

You will need to turn on the Show Hidden Files option in order to see the folder.

The extension of these files is .nicrash

Through Explorer or My Computer locate the following folder,

C:\Documents and Settings\<user folder>\Local Settings\Application Data\Native Instruments\Crashlogs

<user folder> = Your Windows XP account user folder. Normally, it matches the login username depending on how XP was configured on installation.

You could also use search and use *.nicrash as the filename.

On MacOSX:

You can find these log files in the folder,

users/<user folder>/library/logs/crashreporter

<user folder> = Will match the username you log in with.

You could also perform a search for *.nicrash as well.

These are the files that need to be attached to your support request ticket.

7. Super C

Super C NI Product Owner

Crash

I just had my first crash after 2 months of perfect performance.

The track which was playing just stopped. Traktor was frozen.

I was not using any features of Traktor at the time.

I will contact support with the crash log.

I am using a Mac book Pro

8. djbradlee

djbradlee New Member

installer crashing

i have finally bought a new mac book all requirements are met as far as the computer i put the install disk in install the drivers no problem. i go to install the software and then quits. then i open my crash log and a boat load of crashes are there service center installer crashes and ts installer crashes. i loaded the software onto my old ibook no problem. i downloaded all the updates for leopard just now tried it again crash again... i am really at a loss right now dont know what to do. any more info you might need just ask
    thanks
    djbradlee

9. AudioRapture

AudioRapture NI Product Owner

bradlee: download the 1.1 upgrade and install that. Then download the newest Service Center to activate.

AFAIK, 1.0 cannot be installed on Leopard.

10. djbradlee

djbradlee New Member

ok... now..

so igot it installed thank you much man now service center crashing mabey restart? also.. i have lost my serial number like an idiot so any help with that is much appreciated
    thanks again djbradlee

11. AudioRapture

12. djbradlee

djbradlee New Member

thank you again audio rapture all good and ready to go i can see how ppl get frustrated with us noobs to the digital dj world anyways thanks for hooking me up
    djbradlee

13. AudioRapture

you're welcome. happy to hear everything works now. :-D

14. crucial d

crucial d NI Product Owner

@ Darren C:
    did you resolve your problems? You probably already know this, but Macs LOVE lots of RAM. I feel that the 1 Gb you have on your machine may need to be doubled to get absolutely smooth performance. Also. again you prob already know this, but you need to leave quite a few Gb of empty space on yr hard drive... if you ram it too full of data the hard drive becomes unpredictable.

Other things to check are: ventilation (does the computer get very hot? could a small fan keep it cooler? because as heat intensifies, processor performance / reliability diminishes)

Also, you prob already do this, but you have to click 'repair permissions' on your Mac HD in the Disk Utility whenever you install or uninstall applications on yr computer.

15. jay michael

jay michael Forum Member

darren-c, welcome to hell... glad you joined the party.

crucial d wrote.

did you resolve your problems? You probably already know this, but Macs LOVE lots of RAM. I feel that the 1 Gb you have on your machine may need to be doubled to get absolutely smooth performance.

NI dont you think that if SOOO many people are having problems
    keeping traktor running stable on the minimum requirements, ie 1 gig of ram, that its time to advertise the REAL minimal requirements to make traktor run problem free? As far as Im concerned the whole feature list, and everything that NI advertises on the site that traktor can do is full of false advertising and lies. Darren-c, I have 2 gigs of ram and I still get the same problems as you. It has very little to do with your computer, its poorly written software period. Your lucky you have very little time invested in traktor so far, cut your losses and get serato. Instead of 7 hour sets you will be spending 7 hours a night trolling this message board trying to get traktor
    to work properly.

16. djquartz

I have posted where you can locate your crash logs and not one user complaining has yet to submit a crashlog regarding this issue.

I run TS on a PC laptop and don't have these kind of problems at all so there is something obviously wrong.

Check in the location path that was posted to see if there are crashlogs in there and get tickets sent off to support with the crashlogs.

To fix problems requires proper information, not just coming on the forum saying 'my system crashed', WHY DOESN'T IT WORK?

And saying Serato is 100% stable is crap, I just tested it this weekend when a DJ colleague of mine was in town and I had Serato dropping audio all over the place within minutes from just searching for tracks.

17. DJ Freshfluke

bla... i installed TS on a laptop way below the minimum requirements using minimal latency.

if you have issues with a well powered computer, there is always some things to look for. have you talked to support?

18. jay michael

jay michael Forum Member

REQUEST: 82363:
    Tracking number: TS 106328
    REQUEST: 107084:

plenty of times native girl, these are only the ones ive saved, there probably been 5 times this many in total.

im sure traktor would run on my old crap desktop too, doesnt
    mean it would be stable hours into a gig. what your saying
    is pointless. I have 4 close friends all posting about their problems on this board. each using a different kind of laptop, each much faster than the minimum requirements stated by
    native instruments and all of us are having multitudes of performance and stability problems. 5 people, 5 seperate nightmares, making a statement like i may be having an isolated problem is a case of supreme ignorance. i think the
    pages and pages of dissatisfied customers is enough evidence
    that you guys can start dropping the facade and start appreciating the grand scope of issues coming up with traktor and that is not the golden piece of engineering marvel you all are trying to say it is.

19. djquartz

Did you submit crash logs with those tickets?

20. DJ Freshfluke

i'm not talking about desktop computers.
    traktor runs absolutely stable and reliable on my laptop (see sig below) and the laptop i was referring to is used for live gigs as well from the DJ of a well known german rap combo on gigs.

in fact, i started sweating, when he said *this is the laptop i'm gonna use for our tour* (over 4 weeks all over germany, austria, sweden, meaning every day a different setup), but it went absolutely flawless.

i'm keeping on telling this, to demonstrate that it is pointless to just stand there and say *traktor is crap and unstable* because it isnt.

if you and your friends are having problems, we have to check, why. period.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.