1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Traktor Scratch heavy sound distortion

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by vysokan, Aug 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vysokan

vysokan NI Product Owner

Hi,

I have a legal version of Traktor Scratch 1.3.0.60.
    My pc: 2.8 GHz Dual Core CPU, 1,5 GB RAM memory, NI Audio 8 DJ soundcard, Win XP.

I have my Traktor Scratch now already 1 year, and I use it with timecoded vinyls.

All was working fine untill one day from an unidentified reason it started to have problems.

The problem is: when I start (or restart) my pc, Traktor works fine till a non specific time, when it starts to play distorted sound. It's actualy heavily distorted, and I cant even listen to it, I have to stop it immediately. First I saw the problem came up when Traktor was trying to load a track. Therefore I set Traktor to use less speed of pc, and less RAM memory.

Before I was able to play for hours, without problems, but like 2-3 months from now I get huge problems and I am happy to play 1 hour what is actually some maximum i can reach.

Any help, ideas would be great!

Thanks

Pete

2. Agent of Kin

Agent of Kin NI Product Owner

i've had a problem that sounds like this. I don't know the exact cause, but try changing the USB port the A8DJ is plugged into.

on a mac this has been reported to cause some problems, sometimes.

3. vysokan

vysokan NI Product Owner

ok, actually i can try to plugin the usb to another port. thats no problem.

it just sounds a bit crazy if the problem is that. but i will have a try.

btw does anybody know how long can a timecoded vinyl be used? i mean, i have real vinyls, and they are played much less then the timecoded ones. ofc i see as well that the timecoded ones are much thicker and probably the focus was on lifetime warranty the most as possible. but above all that, when do i know my timecoded vinyls are used?

thanks for any feedback

Pete

4. vysokan

vysokan NI Product Owner

the problem remains after changing the usb port

Hi,

as it was recommended to me from Agent of Kin, I tried a different USB port on my pc and the result... well, nothing positive :(

I am quite in a problem, couse I organize a party in 2 weeks and my Traktor Scratch is not ready - not working correctly.

I attached an mp3 recording of the heavy distortion that comes after minutes of playing. Now it was really quickly coming, I was able to play maybe 4-5 songs, and the sound changed to what is attached in mp3 :(

Any help would be muuuuuch appreciated. And as I bought the program, and was happy user till some 2 months ago, I would be happy to get an answer to my problem.

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Attached Files:

5. vysokan

vysokan NI Product Owner

no one to help me? :(

6. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

have you contacted support?

where does the distortion happen? on one certain channel or the master signal?

anything in common that causes the start of the distortion?

7. vysokan

vysokan NI Product Owner

well it comes up in a non specific time. sometimes after 4-5 tracks, lets say 15-20-30 minutes, sometimes it can play for 1-1,5 hour, but not really more. And its all the time turning into a heavy distortion as you can hear in the attached file.

native_girl: where does the distortion happen? on one certain channel or the master signal?
    It comes in the master signal.

native_girl: anything in common that causes the start of the distortion?
    Well if its always the same, i am not able to tell, but i have the feeling it comes when i load a track in the other channel, that is not playing, as if the pc would get overloaded, or.. how to say that, its too much for the pc. On the screen starts things are showed in delay, and with huge breaks, as it would freeze or what, the wave of played songs is showing with breaks, heavy distortion comes up immediately as this happens and I see the system gets into problems, so i have to stop the playback (put away needles from vinyls). But it would be veeery strange if the system would get overloaded, because I have and use my Traktor Scratch with the same CPU, RAM memory for more then 1 year now. And like untill 2 months ago I didnt have problems.
    I mean, I used it cca 11-12 months without problems, and then it appeared. I really dont know what it causes, couse I do not remember any installation, there was no HW change in pc so i really dont know :(

I tried to turn off and turn on Traktor Scratch after this is happening, nad its still the same. After reboot it is ok again. I use Win XP with SP3.

I didn't contact the support yet. Should I rather choose that way?

Thanks for help native_girl :)
    feelin much better now :)
    ---
    I am thinking backwards.. the only thing that is possibly in my mind, and I could think about it as a couse is the Service Pack 3 for Windows XP?

Would it be a good idea to try to uninstall it?

8. Agent of Kin

sorry i couldn't get back to you sooner.

My first thought is that it is a power problem. Like your Audio 8 is not getting enough stable power. So we need to isolate the problem.

1) PC Hardware
    2) PC Software
    3) NI Driver
    4) NI Hardware

The first thing I would do is test your Audio 8 on another machine. There must be someone out there who doesn't mind if you temporarily install traktor on there... better still find someone with traktor and audio 8 that you can just plug yours into.

This will get us a lot closer to finding a solution.

If you can do this and you don't find a problem then we can safely say your Audio 8 is fine.

Next we need to look at your machine. I'm not sure this will prove anything, but I would try it. Plug your Audio 8 into a powered USB hub, then plug that into your machine and test again.

If we have solved the problem then I would say it is a power issue with your machine and there might not be anything you can do about it... except use a powered hub.

If the problem still exists I think you need to try another Audio 8 on the same USB hub and see if the problem persists.

Problem gone, it is your Audio 8. Problem remains, it is either that the USB hub does nothing or your machine is the fault.

From there you are running out of options. Very hard to make any changes to your setup without major surgery.

Well I've just finished a long gig and my head is starting to cloud up. So I'll let you think about that for a while. Let me know if you are able to test anything and what the results are.

S

9. vysokan

vysokan NI Product Owner

man i tried to plugin pc into a separate plugin (electricity).
    if the stability is the thing, i will be your slave till the end of my life :D

I love ya Agent of Kin :)
    It seems it was the electricity changes that caused the problem :)
    Slave till the end of my life ;)
    many many many many many thanks for your help :)

:(
    well it appeared again, but after 1,5 hour, i think i will try to buy a ... hm, i dont know the name but surgemaster maybe? ok, link here http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductID=744194&source=froogle
    and hopefully things get better :)

if not i will have to go through all other things you mentioned Agent of Kin

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  10. Agent of Kin

I have to be honest. I meant stability in the power of the USB ports, not the mains electricity. But I guess dodgy mains electricity could cause all manner of problems with your computer, not just the Audio 8.

Are you using a desktop or laptop PC?

11. vysokan

vysokan NI Product Owner

I use a desktop PC. I bought today a Power Protector. Actually the electricity stability is something what I started to think about right after I read your reply.
    One thing is sure, I have 2 desktop pc-s and my gear in 1 room, and before painting the flat I had my pc connected separately on different phase (L) - other electricity plugin from the gear that could cause the electricity non stabilitiness. Now it was connected together (after painting the flat) with the gear (2 turntables, mixer, some other things as lamp..) and thinking about it all I am not able to say whether it was because of that but might be.
    Anyways, I wanted a Power Protector already, so thats ok.

Testing right now if its gonna be ok.

Well, no success :(
    To try the Audio 8 DJ on a different pc... hm, I could install it on the other pc in my room, and it should be a good one to prove, or not prove whether the pc is the problem.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  12. vysokan

vysokan NI Product Owner

ok so i tested and tested,
    - tried to set the Traktor Scratch to values that are much lower - it means, a kinda middle fast cpu etc.
    - i tried to do all using Power Protector
    - i tried to use different USB plugins on my pc, esp. one directly on main board, the other connected to main board (maybe does not have different result)

After all i decided to watch the CPU and RAM memory consumption in my PC, and I have these results (attached pics) - CPU goes up to 100% when the problem appears. The 2nd picture shows the CPU usage right after that.. it didnt drop down for some cca 5 minutes under 60% what is quite interesting, assuming its a 2,8 GHz DualCore CPU.

What can I do about it now, and does it change the point of view to the problem?

Thanks in advance again

Attached Files:

• ts1.GIF
      ts1.GIF
      File size:
      180.9 KB
      Views:
    • ts2.GIF
      ts2.GIF
      File size:
      181.1 KB
      Views:
  13. Agent of Kin

what might be helpful is to see what process (click the processes tab) is using up all the CPU (you can sort the list by clicking the column heading).

I mean to do this when the distortion happens.

I ask this because from your screen shot your CPU is at 100% and traktor is showing less then 50%. So it could be something else in there that is giving you grief.

14. DJ OutaDare

DJ OutaDare NI Product Owner

Has this been resolved? I got this distortion bug too! SUX!

I get major distorted playback from the get go. I can't even do 1 song. The output is distorted in all decks, and in all configs of the main output. I use the scratchAMP, but get the same results from the on-board sound card. I did notice the "CPU" meter jumping up and down, and it never did that before. I'm thinking maybe my PC was hijacked by some bug, thus hogging memory and speed. But what do I know? If a fix was found, please let me know too. Doing my gigs with Musicmatch is NO FUN!

15. vysokan

vysokan NI Product Owner

as far as i remember, it helped me, when i changed the usb port. i plugged the audio 8 dj soundcard to another usb port.

i had a similar case last days.. some distortion again, and cpu jumped right to 100% after i changed the settings in bios, esp. the ones connected to cpu nut did first a virus scan in my pc.. all was ok.

so try those as well:
    - virus scan with an updated virus scanner
    - try to check whether there are not such settings of cpu in bios that are incorrectly set (but this is a kinda change and try often)
    - if you are using a usb external soundcard, try other usb port

peace

16. DJ OutaDare

DJ OutaDare NI Product Owner

Hey thanks yo! I will give these a try, although I can't change ports as I use the scratchAmp w/ firewire and only have one FW port on my notebook. But I can scan and check the settings. Thanks again.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.