1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Traktor SP goes backwards?

Discussion in 'Technical Issues (Archive)' started by johan_elgstrom, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johan_elgstrom

johan_elgstrom Forum Member

The story goes.....

Ok so i finally had the guts to buy traktor, believing it was evil, a let down to vinyl blah blah blah......i think its great to play control vinyl with my purchased downloads cause it feels like vinyl.....right? Well yesterday i bought some real vinyl, this **** was just to good not to have on wax, i went home, booted up my Macbook Pro (2.33G Core2duo 3G ram) and launched Traktor scratch pro.

I decided to start with my newly purchased vinyl, just to get into it properly. Hit the record button and away I went. After mixing a few records i had the perfect track on digi and decided to switch the audio through function on traktor (one of the reason i bought it!)to scratch control..... Well what do you know, the control vinyl appears to be reading reverse! The records is going the right way but the software is reading it...reverse! I try to change the track with no luck. And cause im recording i dont have time to mess around so i quickly change to audio through mode again....puhhh just made it. I mix in the next real vinyl track and fade out the other one, aha maybe it will work on the other side, Deck B.

This time the scratch mode button is stuck on yellow...flicking like a disco light between the yellow and blue icon buttons....not going reverse this time but the track wont start at the beginning of the track anymore, so everytime i put the needle down on the control vinyl it goes a little more forward but thats it....i cant cue it from the start! What do i do? I flick it to audio through again and play my trusty vinyl

I also get bugs when mixing 3 decks (controlled with vinyl/cd's and its tends to glitch something then cueing in another track on headphones, the main output that is.......My question are...

1. What is this massive bug you havent sorted out with the latest update with TSP?

2. You expect me to play TSP in a club without a lump i my stomach worrying if all of a sudden the control vinyl is gonna go reverse? Ok so toughen up right?

3. Why do you claim its so rock solid, this has happened to me a few times now, i just dont have the balls to try it outside my studio in fear a silly software bug. CD's and Vinyl can hardly go wrong!

Ok i know most big DJ's play with TSP etc and its works for them....maybe i set it up wrong? I mean am i missing something here?

Take care yo

www.myspace.com/johanelg
    www.myspace.com/architronicarecords

2. dj mutley

dj mutley NI Product Owner

going backwards usually means rca cables wrong

calibrate time code on players

3. djthc

djthc NI Product Owner

You have to read the manual too.
    Select the scratch panels to be appeared, and then click on the record to change the icon to circles.
    Then click the rst so that you can calibrate the timecode.

4. johan_elgstrom

Hey

Its been setup correctly with calibration etc. And the cables arent wrong as it works fine when it wants to. Its some sort of a bug switching from Audio through, Relative/Absolut Mode.

I guess we will always be slaves to a computer.......and its flaws.

Peace

ELG

5. clubclifton

clubclifton New Member

i had the same issues you are having last night at a gig. luckily, i had a small set of vinyl to fall back on. but after paying for this gear, i shouldn't have to use a fallback, right?

awaiting a response from NI tech support over this issue.

6. johan_elgstrom

Yeah.....im pretty sure a crowd would go "what is that DJ doing?" ...."Its aight guys.....its the software...not I!"

Yeah right.

Its just a turn off man, paying alot of money for this and its just a bit shifty. But im gonna keep trying....it hasent happened again so maybe it just a few times only....but then again, i havent used that much after this. My red and white vinyl was a nice addition to the setup though.

Peace

P.S Check out www.myspace.com/architronicarecords for a free Promo track to play on your TSP! Ciao

7. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

once again: in case this happens, recalibrate.
    and turn the scopes on in the preferences.

8. ramchez

ramchez New Member

had this problem too.
    can you tell me what to do when this doesnt work?
    cause you adviced me to do this too and it didnt do anything.

9. clubclifton

clubclifton New Member

once again? i don't see any mention of recalibration earlier in this thread?
    and, could you please explain what scopes in the preferences are?

my situation was a bit different - i was in a club, playing and deck A did not work - there was no possibility of recalibration - nothing worked - it was time to re-boot! also, when deck A went screwy, the sound went out through both channels onto the dance floor. an audio glitch was heard through the speakers - nice and LOUD

still awaiting a respsonse from tech support...

10. johan_elgstrom

Native girl. Please specify what you mean, remember your in a club with a crowd and the **** was about to take off....then your TSP shat itself. Say you were playing 2 decks on control vinyl and one control cd perfectly mixed, then one decks decides to go backwards and you cant make it go forward as normal. Now explain what to do.

Yesterday i decided to have a play with TSP again, what do you know, this time playing "Audio through" on Deck A, and then wanting to put down another "Audio Through" on deck B.....the hole thing goes quiet, as in now sound at all....and then after like 10 sec it goes back on. Now i switch to "Scratch control" And the absolute mode will only go forward with control vinyl, even starting from beginning of control vinyl it doesnt go back to start, just keeps dragging......then try again and woops its back on the beginning.

Another issue is the gain when playing "Audio through"....it has to pushed up in the software quite alot ,is the feed going to the soundcard not compensating this automatically? I mean, there should be more volume coming through to the soundcard even though its not going though phono on the mixer?

I should mention that its been installed on my second computer (Macbook) for DJ'ing only and this issue was on my other Macbook Pro. I checked the calibration and it looked fine to me.......im lost. Maybe its the control vinyl's and not cd's? Any help would be good. And like ive said before, Luciano, Steve Bug, Loco Dice, Dubfire, Carl Cox, Carl Craig and heaps other big names......they all use TSP....have they just got all the setting right? I know TSP is good...its just not working for me at the mo!

Peace, Big beats and working software

From the desk of Johan ELG

www.myspace.com/johanelg
    www.myspace.com/architronicarecords

11. DJ Freshfluke

posting #3 probably?

preferences > deck details > scratch panels

if you're waiting longer than like 3 working days, please let me know the ticket number.

12. DJ Freshfluke

if that would happen to me, i'd switch to internal mode (play button) immediatly to let the track run at least somehow forward. then try to get the next track mixed in, then check what goes wrong with the first deck. dust under the needle? scratches on the record? bad contacts? and fix that while the other deck is running. set up a hotkey for switching playback modes (i have that anyways because i often use 3 decks) and another for the recalibration button then you dont have to fumble with the mouse on the GUI.

you're not in absolute mode then anymore, but in emergency relative mode. this means, although the calibration kinda failed, at least the track is still playable but only forward. note: with other DVS you just have silence then...

it seems like traktor is sensitive if *real* vinyl is played in between timecode records. please switch to internal mode when playing real records and recalibrate when turning on scratch mode again. traktor tries to interpret the normal records signal, resulting in a bad calibration.

13. clubclifton

clubclifton New Member

OK i will wait until thurs night Australian time :cool:

14. johan_elgstrom

Thanks Native girl

I still dont think you know what i mean. You want me to re calibrate everytime i switch back and from internal and scratch control? Cmon thats hardly a nice work flow for an artist/DJ? I mean isnt this a huge minus for TSP? Something that should really be looked into. I dont think compensating with purchased Software and Hardware like this is really fair, even though this might solve the problem on the night. I think its fair to say TSP cant run Audio through and Scratch control switched back and forth in a live dj set. It was obviously not done properly...shame really as this is why I bought TSP.

Peace

Johan ELG

15. DJ Freshfluke

fact is, that with audio through or switching on phono on the mixer and playing normal vinyl, traktor tries to interpret what it gets as timecode, sometimes resulting in problematic behavior.

that's the downside of a software that even with incredible bad timecode signal (massive bass, ground loops, dust under the needle, shaking dj table, ...) is sensitive enough to perform a good calibration.

and i really i dont think it's a problem when switching modes to hit the RST button once - or even easier, with one keystroke trigger the recalibration. i disable scratch control always if another dj is playing with normal vinyl or ssl in between. no hassel with that.

16. clubclifton

clubclifton New Member

well, i got a response from tech support - apparently this is a known issue that was overcome with the 1.1.2 release - i have this running alongside 1.1.1 and will test the new version over the weekend while i'm working though some new tracks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.