TSPro , vinyl and cdjs on 2 channel mixer?

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by Steinz, Oct 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steinz

Steinz Forum Member

A friend of mine recently asked if this was possible. He's adoment he wants to control Traktor with TT's not CDJ's. I thought the only way would be control TS with cdj's , use audio through for normal cd's and use turntable for vinyl. this is on a 2 channel mixer so 1 line in and 1 phono in.

2. Frace

Frace Forum Member

what exactly is it that you want to do?

Control Traktor with Vinyl on one deck and cd on the other one?

That's possible.

Or does your mixer only have ONE Phono and ONE Line input?

In that case you'd need a Line to phono converter for your interface.

3. Steinz

Steinz Forum Member

he wants to be able to play regular vinyl (phono) , TSPro controlled by turntables (line) and regular cds (line)

Could he get a line to phono converter then run the traktor and vinyl (on audio through) into that and have the cdj's going into the line socket?

4. Sinjintek

Sinjintek NI Product Owner

You'll simply need for Traktor to be able to read the timecode...whether from CDJs or Turntables, it doesn't matter. It sounds like you currently have your turntables routed DIRECTLY into your mixers PHONO channels...is this correct?

5. Steinz

Steinz Forum Member

6. Sinjintek

in reference to your first post:

TRAKTOR "SCRATCH" PRO is DVS software....the DVS stands for: Digital Vinyl System -- or in other words, is vinyl emulation software. Therefore it was originally developed with the purpose of working with turntables to give the user a "vinyl like" experience.

Using turntables requires timecode vinyl, much like using a CDJ should require a timecode CD. It seems unlikely that you would own TSP and not know that it works with turntables...

I assume that you are using a Audio4 or 8 interface...but you mention "audio through" which isn't featured on either like it would be for the Rane SL-1. [I think I understand that you mean software "Audio Through", sorry. READ the "points" i mention below] The TSP system includes multicore cables with a phono pass-through.

If you're using the multicore cables you should be able to route this easily, if not you may want to look into building a cable (DJ Techtools may have an article on this) that will allow you to route your turntable signal to both your mixer's PHONO input and your Audio4/8's channel input.

a couple of quick points about your inputs:

1. the only use for your phono inputs is for the direct analog signal from your turntables.

2. line inputs are designed to handle a source signal MUCH stronger than phono...i recall being told 30X the strength but don't quote me here. This is intended only for LINE LEVEL audio input (i.e. CD players, soundcard output)

[some newer turntables offer the option of switching output from phono to line]

I don't know if I understand your question about using a Line>Phono adapter... I don't see how this is necessary or helpful.

Really your only issue should be the sharing of you Traktor line output with your CD player output into the line input of your mixer channel. For this it is feasible, but not recommended, that you may use a splitter adapter to route both into the mixer...but DO NOT try to use both Traktor and your CDs at the same time.

OR...just screw the CDs (CDs are stupid), you can load them into computer's CD reader and play it directly through Traktor using the turntable.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  7. Steinz

Steinz Forum Member

dude thanks for your reply , as Ive stated 3 times this setup is not for me and I know is far from ideal . I think you may have misunderstood what I wrote before reading back it wasnt too clear. The main thing is he has a 2 channel mixer . My second post sums it up . Im aware of the massive difference between phono and line signals as I said this isnt for me , just wondering whether its technically possible . The problem being he has 2 line signals (cdj and traktor) he def needs to input and only 1 line in and 1 phono in

8. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

not sure if i get you right.

IF you have traktor SCRATCH pro, and you connected everything following the manual, you can switch between phono and line on your mixer with a respective switch. on line you will hear the track coming from traktor, on phono you will hear the timecode noise (or any other normal analogue music coming from vinyl).

if you want to hook up further equipment, e.g. additional cd players, you'll need a 4-channel mixer, obviously.

9. Steinz

Steinz Forum Member

yeah i see how the way i wrote it is bit hard to understand. i know he can control it via turntable or cd. he wants timecode control via turntables and be able to throw on regular vinyl (yes can switch to phono on the mixer) but also wants to be able to play regular cd's. which requires another input. Yes of course the answer is to get a 4 channel mixer was just seeing if it was technically possible to do it with a 2. It would seem that tho it might be using an adapter of some sort , its a very bad idea!

10. Sinjintek

you can try to use a "Y" adapter to feed two separate inputs into each of your line channles...but you will notice a distinct loss in sound quality as this will affect your line signal strength.

which is why i'd suggest using traktor to play the CDs instead of the CDJs.

11. Count Zero

Count Zero ModerAUtor Moderator

The only reasonable option would be to have an A-B switch. Plug Traktor into 1 input and the CD's into the other and send the output to the mixer. Then flick the switch to go from one to the other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.