Tutorial: How to Create Custom Images for Kits in Maschine Studio and 2.0 Software.

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Hit-Man, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Hit-Man

Hit-Man NI Product Owner

master.PNG dbs.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Phyia

Phyia NI Product Owner

you are the f*ckin man... thanks so much.

3. Skerj

Skerj NI Product Owner

Dope, now all of my stuff is going to look legit and organized, thanks man.

4. kldskp

kldskp NI Product Owner

I was way off with how I thought this was done - this is much easier than I thought :)

5. J-Fly

J-Fly NI Product Owner

I've already made a few of these. I'm trying to be professional and stay away from the booty pics.

• Like Like x 1
  6. kldskp

kldskp NI Product Owner

"Hmm lemme see, 'Wind Chimes'... now that's a booty pic." I feel you.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Hit-Man

Hit-Man NI Product Owner

Post them up... let us check them out.

8. Kaydigi

Kaydigi NI Product Owner

Friday will be official tagging day.

9. puzzlefactory

puzzlefactory NI Product Owner

In the video he uses the file to create images for kits and samples. What about entire libraries. Would that template work for something like Morphestra?

10. demoniqus

demoniqus NI Product Owner

Oohh..SHINY!!!! .. and it works for 3*rd party instruments and FX's too... Dead simple.. Thanks for that Hit-Man

• Like Like x 1
  11. J-Fly

J-Fly NI Product Owner

I'll post my custom images when I get home. Nothing special since I'm just using the images from the kits themselves but here is something to keep in mind: You have to name your MST image folder exactly the same name as the kit. There is a problem when you're trying to do this from a folder within a folder. For example: I have a Kontakt KLI kit but it has multiple folders in it because there is a specific kit for Kontakt 4 and one for Kontakt 5. Maschine Studio won't recognize the main folder in this situation so I have direct the user library to the Kontakt 5 folder within the Kontakt KLI folder. By default, Maschine 2.0 names this directory as Quiet Storm Kontakt KLI:Kontakt 5. This is where the problem is because I'm using a Mac and the Mac OS does not allow me to rename any file with ":" in the name. Again, you must name the folder and meta file exactly the way it appears in the Maschine 2.0 user library list. Of course I could try to rename the entire folder but Pro Tools will not recognize any songs that used the kit folder retro-actively because the old name of the folder would no longer exist unless I just copied the folder and renamed the copy. So the Quiet Storm kit is one of the few that I can't make a custom image for.

Also, and I can only speak from experience using a Mac, those images must have .png on the end of the file name. In other words, you can't save the file as png format and assume that Maschine 2.0 will acknowledge it. You must also make sure the file has .png in the name and everything should work correctly.

12. J-Fly

J-Fly NI Product Owner

Here's my Golden Keys, Radio of Soul, and Boss of the Trap. Again, I'm just using the images posted on the websites used to sell these products. No dramatic pics for me.

Attached Files:

13. larserik

larserik NI Product Owner

So after searching my computer for quite a while I found the resources folder used on a Windows computer.

C:\Users\Public\Documents\NI Resources\image\

Findings and loose ends so far:

- It appears you don't have to rescan the user library for the images to appear on a Windows computer. (Perhaps needed if you have a Studio controller and want your graphics to appear but I'm on a MK2 so I really can't say.)

- Only works for samples, not for kits or anything else. No big deal but it would be nice to be able to get the same behaviour on third party libraries containing kits, sounds and samples just like the expansions from NI.

-Being a software developer myself I wonder if the xml content in the .meta-file really doesn't matter? In the template files from MaschineMasters.com the xml "name" node says "Dark Pressure" and that feels like something that might confuse and/or mess up the Maschine2.0 software. I much rather have the name of my library there instead, but hey that's me.

Sincerely
    LarsErik

14. demoniqus

Hi Lars.
    En Stockholmare oxå.. so now we are a Team..

Maybe i didn't get you post correctly, i've not converted any kits or samples yet.. this may be only for NI.

Anyway, i've done 3 of my 3*rd software instruments so far ( Superior Drummer 2, Sylenth1 and the Vengeance bundles) with tediously edited screens on both the software as Maschine Studio.

The only thing that doesn't work is the "MST_Plugin.png" which are only for Native Instruments Plug-in icons shown in the Studio hardware and in mixview in the 2.0 software. So those are no meaning of editing at this point.

Otherwise i've been looking inside the .meta (XML) but it doesn't do anything at this point if the name inside isn't correct.

One thing i do now is you have to name the folder you place inside "image" folder of NI Resources has to be very precise otherwise it won't work.. for example, when i imported Sylenth1 i named the folder Sylenth1 which would be the obvious, but looking at the name Maschine has recognized it's "LennarDigital" .. so changing the foldername from "Sylenth1" to "LennarDigital" solves the problem.

Btw If you're an excellent programmer, can you whip together a little 3*rd party preset converter so we don't have to import them one by one? Pretty please :)

EDIT: I made a kit and tried the "foldertrick" but it didn't work.. Maybe if you work out how the expansions are installed it might be possible to work your way around..

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  15. trusampler

trusampler NI Product Owner

+1 A converter would be amazing for this!

16. J-Fly

J-Fly NI Product Owner

That's correct. So far this only works for samples.

17. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

It will work for effects and instruments as well. The reason it won't work for groups is that all user groups are assigned to the "Maschine" product category. When you import a new folder of samples that are not already tagged from 1.8 then it takes on the folder name as the product but not for the groups.

Saving plug-ins fills in the manufacturer for the product so you can create images for that. You can do it for 3rd party Kontakt player or powered by Kontakt libraries too if you import the folder so long as it is in Kontakt 5 format. Do a batch resave in Kontakt the library is from K4 or earlier. Non player or powered by libraries that don't show in Kontakt libraries tab won't work though and have the same issue as the groups.

18. larserik

larserik NI Product Owner

Team Stockholm to the rescue!! (Vad det nu är som ska räddas.. :D)

Importing presets one by one must be quite painful. For me using third party VST instruments and effects works quite well without having all the individual presets in the Maschine library. I haven't given a "batch preset importer" to much thought but it's far from a simple task. Way to much reverse engineering for my taste I must say. (Yeah, I'm a lazy bastard..)

The NI expansions all have their own product attribute in the library, and just like b-righteous has pointed out, third party groups have not. That's very likely at least one of the reasons our own custom graphics get's ignored for kits.

NI might release a "Maschine 2.0 Library Developer Guide" like they did for Kontakt, that would surely clear up quite a few questions regarding custom graphics.

Tjing och hej
    Lars-Erik

19. Phyia

Phyia NI Product Owner

ok... how'd you figure this one out...

20. demoniqus

I've converted a bunch of 3*rd party preset into Maschine format and copied one of the folders inside "NI Resources" ( any folder will do as it's only the name of the *.meta-file that's different) and renamed the folder to the same Instrument/Bank-name as what shows in Maschine hardware for the converted preset, also changed the *.meta file to the same name.. realy easy.. the tedious part is to make some personalized graphics.

Library_view_Maschine2.0.jpg Superior_lib_Maschine2.0.jpg Superior_MStudio1.jpg Vengeance_lib_Maschine2.0.jpg Vengeance_MStudio1.jpg

Btw, It's blue led downlights on a white Maschine Studio.. not a template overlay