Ultimate Guide to Maschine Mk3 as the Best Portable Midi Controller for Cubase Pro 10

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by CPAF, Jul 11, 2019.

1. CPAF

CPAF NI Product Owner

Ultimate Guide to Maschine Mk3 as the Best Portable Midi Controller for Cubase Pro 10 (might also work in some capacity/inspire you with other DAWs).

Update 1: LINK to dropbox with current templates (under development) --> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hdpuv6lmmvb0l4h/AADOAqrEaa810LkStO4uiiT6a?dl=0

Update 2: When saving track presets in Cubase when using Komplete Kontrol --> Load up Komplete Kontrol plugin in Cubase, and find your favourite preset of the instrument you want. In the menu "view" of KK choose "Plug-in" --> now you can see what the pairs of eight knobs are assigned to (and as such the encoders on the MK3). Now save the track preset. Whenever you open this instrument again, you will see the knobs assignment instantly and don't have to do it your self everytime.

WARNING: Long read + continuously updated post and in some minor cases unfinished at this point. Go to the bottom for Guide+Pictures, if you don't care about controllerism philosophy and so on --> but do check out the Getting Started section.

Hi all! The following shows how to make the Maschine Mk3 the perfect portable midi controller when working with a large template in Cubase utilizing the amazing power of Komplete Kontrol and the NKS standard with prehear/previews and pre-mapped parameters (and/alternatively Cubase QuickControls). One major plus of using the MK3 is that it is also an audio interface, so I don't need to bring anything else along but my handheld recorder and mics. I must say that i LOVE using the Maschine software and the MK3 as "intended" but for more complicated stuff, especially automation, mixing, huge templates (game audio) so on, I much prefer working in Cubase, and just need a really good versatile usb-powered controller with screens. I use the Maschine Software for ideas, and beats and stuff. I have made whole instrumental songs entirely with it, and i'm excited for the continued evolution of the software as mentioned by @NI_Kai.

The post will be a continuously updated post as I am quite busy but want to give back to the community and all owners of the Maschine Mk3 or Cubase. And also as a note to my self, so I know what I have done, and what could be better. I am using Windows 10, just so you know --> I Have no idea of what works and what not works when using a Mac. I have a powerful laptop with 32 gigs of ram and i7 8 cores and fast SSD.

I utilize the Project Logical Editor and Macro shortcuts - something I will suggest everyone should use if they work in a DAW --> it amazingly speeds up workflow and tailors the DAW to you.

Please do ask away all you want and i'll try to answer. I have been wanting this workflow for more than a year and this summer it finally came to fruition - though change will come as my needs change.

Programs:

- Cubase 10 Pro (Steinberg: https://new.steinberg.net/cubase/)
    - Komplete Kontrol + Kontakt (NI:https://www.native-instruments.com/...s/komplete-kontrol-s49-s61/included-software/ & https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/samplers/kontakt-6/)
    - Controller Editor (NI: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/downloads/drivers-other-files/)
    - Midikey2key (https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/midikey2key-translates-midi-events-to-key-shortcuts.590/ - it is free! A paid more feature packed option is Bome Midi Translator - but for what I need midikey2key is great)

If anything isn't working/reacting when using the MK3 just remember to close the Controller Editor application. You also have to turn on the MK3 and set it to midi mode before opening Cubase and you also need to start the Midikey2key application (if you don't have it startup with windows). Sometimes after opening Cubase you have to once go to the Studio Setup and reapply the generic remote by choosing the Maschine Mk3 ctrl MIDI as input/output.

CPAF

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Getting Started:

I have a Master Template for Cubase, with all tracks disabled but ready in the template. This means my folders are all structured and named, and my most used isntruments and additional effect chains are pre-loaded. For using the maschine to open/close folders (track visibility) you will need to make folders that group your instruments.

upload_2019-7-11_13-8-33.png

For Maschine MK3 midi-mode = "shift+channel" on the MK3

To use the MK3 as a midi controller in Cubase --> go to Studio pane... --> Studio Setup... a window opens. In the upper left corner press the "plus" and choose Generic Remote (you can't change the name). Choose "Maschine MK3 CTRL" (not EXT - which points to the midi input/output on the back of the Maschine MK3) for midi in/out. Export the Generic Remote ("apply" does NOT save it) - do it often. Toggle "learn" on and off every time you want to change a Midi CC assignment (knob/button).

To setup your own Maschine MK3 Midi-Mode Template-->

1. open Controller Editor (in windows the path is often C:/program files/Native Instruments/Controller Editor). Your MK3 should be connected automatically. Here you can choose different templates but don't bother, you are making your own! choose "edit" and "new", rename your template. pressing shift on the MK3 while in midi mode enables you to change templates and show different information, explore this. Do NOT check the Host Transport Control. I like Soft 1 for pad velocity curve. Knob pages can be changed with the arrow buttons on the MK3 (top left).

upload_2019-7-11_13-8-16.png

2. Go to the Pages pane and setup two knob pages, mine are named "KK" (for komplete kontrol) and "QuickControls" (for when I rather want to work through the quick controls in cubase). Activate Pad Pages and make A-H, rename page A to "Keyswitches" and then "C0" for page B, C1 for page C1 so on up to C6 for page H. Great! Remember you can hold "shift" to edit more buttons/knobs at the same time, e.g. to choose a specific midi channel for everything. Save your configuration from time to time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Application:

- Control basic Cubase stuff
    - Control visibility of instrument folders in Cubase
    - All instruments are used in Komplete Kontrol where its parameters are controlled by the MK3
    - Playing notes with the pads
    - Changing keyswitches with the pads

Music Style and Workflow:

- Mainly hybrid experimental film and game music (electronic, rock, jazz, beats and orchestral) --> but suitable for all genres I guess
    - One Cubase Master Template (pictures will come, and template will be uploaded)
    - Custom keyboard shortcuts and Project Logical Editor processes
    - Lots of instruments loaded in KK-plugin, grouped in folders and disabled (turned on one-by-one when needed by keyboard shortcut "alt-d")
    - Each track is saved as a track preset loaded from the media bay if more are needed + expression maps preloaded when applicable

Controllerism Philosophy --> all buttons and knobs on the MK3 - what they do and why:

I have tried mapping the buttons and encoders in different ways, but ultimately the most effecting thing for me is to have some kind of connection between what the button says and what it does. In some ways the workflow mimics that of Maschine. But there are many times, where it's quite different but still makes sense. Fx: "Select"-button deactivates all solo/mutes on the tracks, or it "selects" and makes all tracks hearable. This makes sense to me, and I need the button for my workflow.

1. MK3 must control Komplete Kontrol where needed as if it was a KK-keyboard - both in KK standalone and as a plugin in Cubase:

- Knobs control KK-knobs (mapped in Komplete Kontrol application)
    - 4D-encoder rotation control = scroll through previews/ prehear (Midikey2key)
    - 4D-encoder push = confirm preset (Midikey2key)
    - "file/save", "settings" = choose plugin/insert to left/right (Komplete kontrol)
    - "auto", "macro/set" = choose knob page (Komplete kontrol)

2. MK3 must control Cubase 10 Pro but not everything, and many things are much better controlled via keyboard shortcuts. But there are several things better suited for the MK3 because of the dedicated buttons and the screens. I will provide my keyboard shortcuts file too.

- The eight top-row buttons = Eight different "visibility views" in Cubase. Mostly this means opening and closing folders (not hidding tracks) via macros and the project logical editor. In the Controller editor it is possible to name the buttons! I had originally planned to use Metagrid on an iPad for this, but this is redundant as the MK3 can do everything I needed instead). The categories I have are: Show all folders, Show All Used Tracks with data (hides unused), Sketching Tools folder, Drums & Percussion folder, Keys + Synths folder, Orchestral folder (Strings/Brass/Woodwinds), Guitars & Other Stringed Instruments, FX/Audio Laboratory/Vocals/Choir folder

- 4D-encoder UP/DOWN = Select previous/next track
    - 4D-encoder LEFT/RIGHT = Playhead backwards/Forward 1 bar
    - Touchstrip = Mod Wheel --> buttons for read+write+automation setup+show used automation
    - Pads = Notes C0 to C-6 octaves (the eight A-H pads switches between the different octaves)
    - Pads C0 octave = Keyswitches (mostly at this point for Spitfires Bernard Herrmann Composer Toolkit)
    - Foot pedal = Sustain pedal
    - Basic Transport controls (but not via "Host Transport Control-option in Controller Editor) + metronome + snap to grid + loop (cycle) on/off + undo
    - Mute+Solo selected track + Unsolo/Unmute all tracks

Rest of the buttons are a work in progress but so far I am going with this:

- Toggle Mixer + open Channel Settings (built-in eq/gate/compressor so on) + toggle Plugin Window + toggle track presets window + toggle Mediabay + toggle sample editor + inline midi editor + toggle Chord Pads in lower window + toggle Drum Editor + Beat Calculator (tap tempo) + duplicate event + toggle Midi Modifier pane in Inspector + toggle Equalizer pane in Inspector + fixed velocity

OK now for the guide:

The "Ultimate" Guide (to Maschine MK3 as a Portable Midi Controller for Cubase 10 Pro):

Midi-Mode Template (Controller Editor)

So, after everything is setup as according to the Getting Started section above - now we'll take care of making the MK3 Midi-mode Template (I'll upload mine too). Remember to name your buttons/pads when doing this --> I always start with the Midi CC and then the function - fx "37 Mixer" for the "mixer" button on the MK3. This gives an overview so you know everything is as you attend. Save often by going to Templates pane and "edit"-dropdown and choose "export":

1 Choose everything (shift) except the pads and the touchstrip. Go to the "Assign" pane --> choose Midi Channel 15 (I prefer this, as I rarely use it otherwise, so midi messages from the Mk3 won't intervene with anything it shouldn't). The pads (notes) and touchstrip (mod wheel) I have on channel 1.

2. Give each button a specific Midi CC (type = Control Change) --> I have CC 2-9 for the knobs fx. This you can just choose your self, how you like it. I mess up from time to time, so e.g. my play button has 59, while stop has 10 and record 11.

3. Touchstrip should be Midi CC = 1 and Pads should not be Midi CC but the type "Notes" and the mode "Gate". I Have ordered my notes so C-1 to D#0 are my keyswitches and i don't use it for notes normally (i have a KMI K-board with me also that I can change octaves on). So the lowest note i play on the MK3 in midi mode is C0. I have C start on the lower left pad on each pad page (and C# on the lowest second left pad and so on), so I better remember where what note is. I colour each pad page a different colour so I know which octave I am on.

4. The list of buttons and their functions and settings in the Controller Editor (the actions themselves are set in the Generic Remote in Cubase, i'll get back to that). I have them in sections - "Transport", "Overview", "4D-encoder+buttons". "Encoders+buttons" and last "Selections".

Transport - (The T-section)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Restart/loop - CC12 Cycle/loop On/Off : Mode=Toggle
    Erase/Replace - CC13 Undo (keyboard shortcut ctrl-z) : Mode=Trigger
    Tap/Metro - CC14 Metronome on/off : Mode=Toggle
    Follow/Grid - CC15 Snap to Grid on/off : Mode=Trigger
    Play - CC59 Play : Mode=Toggle
    REC/Count-in - CC11 Record : Toggle
    Stop - CC10 Stops the playmarker, if stopped (or double pressed) rewinds to start of project : Mode=Trigger
    Footpedal - CC64 Sustain

Overview - the O-section
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Channel/midi - CC34 Open Channel Settings : Mode=Trigger
    Plug-in/Instance - CC35 Open Plugin Window : Mode=Trigger
    Arranger - CC36 Open Track Presets Window : Mode=Trigger
    Mixer - CC37 Open MixConsole : Mode=Trigger
    Browser/+Plug-In - CC38 Open Mediabay : Mode=Trigger
    Sampling - CC39 Open Sample Editor : Mode=Trigger
    File/Save - CC40 Komplete Kontrol (KK)-function, Plugin Left : Mode=Trigger
    Settings - CC41 KK-function, Plugin Right : Mode=Trigger
    Auto - CC42 KK-function, Knob Page Left : Mode=Trigger
    Macro/set - CC43 KK-function Knob Page Right : Mode=Trigger

4D-Encoder+buttons close by - The 4D-section
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    4D left - CC23 Step 1 bar forward with playhead : Mode=Trigger
    4D right - CC21 Step 1 bar backward with playhead : Mode=Trigger
    4D down - CC22 Down (chose next track) : Mode=Trigger
    4D up - CC20 Up (choose previous track) : Mode=Trigger
    4D push - CC24 "Enter/Return" keyboard shortcut : Mode=Trigger
    4D turn - CC0 KK-function, scroll through prehear/previews : Mode=Absolute (left turn = left arrow key, right turn = right arrow key --> so it can also be used for many other things!)

Volume/velocity - CC44
    Swing/position - CC45
    Note Repeat/Arp - CC46 Quantize to grid : Mode????????????
    Tempo/Tune - CC47 Open Beat Calculator (Tap tempo in Cubase) : Mode=Trigger
    Lock/Ext Lock - CC48

Pitch - CC49 Read on/off selected channel : Mode=Trigger
    Mod - CC50 Write on/off selected channel : Mode=Toggle
    Perform/FX Select - CC51 Open Automation Setup/Panel : Mode=Trigger
    Notes - CC52 Show/Open used automation lanes : Mode=Trigger

Touch strip - CC1 Modulation Wheel : Mode=Absolute

Encoders+buttons - (The E/B-section). Remeber to name them.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    from left to rigt:
    Button1 (All) - CC50 Show all folders, close all other folders
    Button2 (Used) - CC51 Show All Used Tracks with Data (hides unused), close all other folders
    Button3 (Sketch) - CC52 Open Sketching Tools folder, close all other folders
    Button4 (Drums & Percussion) - CC53 Open Drums & Percussion folder, close all other folders
    Button5 (Keys & Synths) - CC54 Open Keys + Synths folder, close all other folders
    Button6 (Orchestral) - CC55 Open Orchestral instruments folders (strings/brass/woodwinds), close all other folders
    Button7 (Guitars) - CC56 Open Guitars & Other Stringed Instruments folder, close all other folders
    Button8 (FX/AL/V/C) - CC57 Open FX/Audio Laborartory/Vocals/Choir folder, close all other folders

Encoder1 - CC2 KK-function Knob 1
    Encoder2 - CC3 KK-function Knob 2
    Encoder3 - CC4 KK-function Knob 3
    Encoder4 - CC5 KK-function Knob 4
    Encoder5 - CC6 KK-function Knob 5
    Encoder6 - CC7 KK-function Knob 6
    Encoder7 - CC8 KK-function Knob 7
    Encoder8 - CC9 KK-function Knob 8

All encoders --> Mode=Absolute, Resolution=270 Degrees, Display=Horizontal, Unipolar

Selections - (The S-section)
    Fixed Vel/16 Vel - CC80
    Pad Mode - CC81
    Keyboard - CC82 Use in-line midi editor on selected track : Mode=Trigger
    Chords - CC83 Open Chord Pads in lower windowd : Mode=Trigger
    Step - CC84 Open Drum Editor : Mode=Trigger

Scene/Section - CC85 ?
    Pattern - CC86 ?
    Events - CC87 ?
    Variation/Navigate - CC88 ?
    Duplicate/Double - CC89 Duplicate (keyboard shortcut "ctrl+d") : Mode=Trigger
    Select - CC90 Deactivate solo and mute on all tracks : Mode=Trigger
    Solo - CC91 Solo selected channel : Mode=Trigger
    Mute - CC92 Mute selected channel : Mode=Trigger

5. You are Done! Great, now we'll take care of the Komplete Kontrol mappings:

Komplete Kontrol (mapping) + Midikey2key setup

1. Open standalone Komplete Kontrol application.

2. Upper right corner choose --> "MIDI" --> You are now on the Knob pane: Mouse click on the leftmost encoder and turn the leftmost MK3 encoder. Repeat for all eight.

3. Go to the "Buttons" pane. Don't assign anything to the two "presets" encoders. Assign File/save and Settings to the left and right in the "Plug-ins" pane. Assign Auto and Macro/Set to the left and right in the "Plug-in Pages" pane

upload_2019-7-11_13-9-4.png

4. To scroll through the prehear/previews and select the chosen preset with the 4D-encoder we use the Midikey2key application. Open it, and choose "Maschine MK3 Ctrl MIDI" for both midi in and out. in the Channel Listeners-pane tick 01 and 15. Press "Start" in the start/stop listening-pane. :

upload_2019-7-11_13-9-31.png
    [​IMG]

4.1. Make a new action and in the DATA-field in the upper left corner type in "BE00xx". In the "Generate PC-keyboard Action"-pane, make sure "active" is ticked and just below click on the blue box and press the down arrow key on your keyboard. Check the "Controller Action" box and click on the blue box and press the up arrow key on your keyboard. Name the action (fx: Wheel to Key Up and Down). Don't tick the "Wait for NoteOff" box. I have Keyboard delay set to 40 ms (you can experiment). Multiplier is set to 1. Save the action.

upload_2019-7-11_13-9-47.png

4.2 Make a new (second) and in the DATA-field in the upper left corner type in "BE18xx". In the "Generate PC-keyboard Action"-pane, make sure "active" is ticked and just below click on the blue box and press big "enter"/"return" key on your keyboard. Don't check the "Controller Action" box. Name the action (fx: 4D-encoder Push to Key Enter). Don't tick the "Wait for NoteOff" box. I have Keyboard delay set to 80 ms (you can experiment). Multiplier is set to 1. Save the action.

upload_2019-7-11_13-10-2.png

4.3 Go to the Komplete Kontrol application, and left click once on any preset (don't load it). Now you can use the wheel to scroll through the list, and when you have found one you like, you just push the 4D-encoder to load it :)

5. Great, you are Done! You can make the program start with windows, or just have it on your taskbar and open it when you are going to make music with the MK3 in Cubase or Komplete Kontrol. Now let's take care of the last thing - Cubase Generic Remote setup:

Cubase - Generic Remote setup (and any custom keyboard shortcuts)

1. Open Cubase and choose your Master Template-project (or load a new project with your master template).

2. Go to Studio Setup (pls make a keyboard shortcut to do this, it will really spare some time) and choose the generic remote you have setup for Maschine Mk3 (see the Getting Started section). You will only assign buttons here as the encoders have been mapped in Komplete Kontrol.
    1. upload_2019-7-11_13-10-42.png

3. Add so there are ca. 47 lanes (you can always add more and so on). Name all the lanes according to a button function (see the list) Tick the "learn" box and assign the corresponding button, untick the "learn" box. All buttons should have Midi status "Controller" and the flags "R" and "T". Everything should be on Midi Channel 15 with max value 127. Now to the actions:

name - settings:

T-section:
    Play - Device=Transport, Channel=Device, Value=start, Flags=P,T
    Stop - Device=Transport, Channel=Device, Value=stop, Flags=P
    Record - Device=Transport, Channel=Device, Value=record, Flags=P,T
    Cycle - Device=Transport, Channel=Device, Value=cycle, Flags=P,T
    Metro - Device=Transport, Channel=Device, Value=metronomeOn, Flags=P,T
    Undo - Device=Command, Channel=Edit, Value=Undo, Flags=P
    Snap to Grid - Device=Command, Channel=Edit, Value=Snap On/Off, Flags=P

4D-section:
    StepForward_ByBar- Device=Transport, Channel=Device, Value=stepBar, Flags=P
    StepBackward_ByBar- Device=Transport, Channel=Device, Value=stepBackBar, Flags=P
    UP - Device=Command, Channel=Navigate, Value=UP, Flags=P
    DOWN - Device=Command, Channel=Navigate, Value=Down, Flags=P
    Read Auto - Device=VST Mixer, Channel=Selected, Value=Read Automation, Flags=P, T
    Write Auto - Device=VST Mixer, Channel=Selected, Value=Write Automation, Flags=P, T
    Automation Panel - Device=Command, Channel=Automation, Value=Open Panel, Flags=P
    Show Used Automation - Device=Command, Channel=Automation, Value=Show Used Automation, Flags=P
    Beat Calculator - Device=Command, Channel=Project, Value=Beat Calculator, Flags=P
    Not assigned (Swing-button)
    Not assigned (Volume-button)
    Not assigned (Note Repeat/Arp-button)
    Not assigned (Lock-button)

O-section:
    Channel Settings (Selected) - Device=Command, Channel=Edit, Value=Edit Channel Settings, Flags=P
    Open Instrument/Pugin (Selected) - Device=Command, Channel=Edit, Value=Edit Vst Instrument, Flags=P
    Open Track Preset - Device=Command, Channel=Project, Value=Track Preset: Open Browser, Flags=P
    MixConsole - Device=Command, Channel=Devices, Value=Mixer, Flags=P
    MediaBay- Device=Command, Channel=Media, Value=Open MediaBay, Flags=P
    Sample Editor - Device=Command, Channel=Editors, Value=Open Sample Editor, Flags=P

Selections - (The S-section)
    Mute (selected) - Device=Command, Channel=Edit, Value=Mute, Flags=P
    Solo (selected) - Device=Command, Channel=Edit, Value=Solo, Flags=P
    Deactivate Mute/Solo all tracks - Device=Command, Channel=Macro, Value=Custom (mine is called Deactivate Mute & Solo all tracks), Flags=P
    Duplicate (selected event) - Device=Command, Channel=Edit, Value=Duplicate, Flags=P
    Not assigned (Variation-button)
    Not assigned (Events-button)
    Not assigned (PatternRepeat/Arp-button)
    Not assigned (Scene-button)
    Fixed Velocity - Device=Command, Channel=MIDI, Value=Fixed Velocity, Flags=P
    Not assigned (Pad Mode-button)
    Keyboard - Device=Command, Channel=Editors, Value=Edit In-Place, Flags=P
    Chord Pads - Device=Command, Channel=Chords, Value=Show/Hide Chord Pads, Flags=P
    Step - Device=Command, Channel=Editors, Value=Open Drum Editor, Flags=P

Encoders+buttons - (The E/B-section)
    Show All Folders - Device=Command, Channel=Channel & Track Visibility, Value=Agents: Show All Channels/Tracks, Flags=P
    Show Tracks With Data - Device=Command, Channel=Channel & Track Visibility, Value=Agents: Show Channels/Tracks with Data, Flags=P
    Show Sketch Instruments - Device=Command, Channel=Macro, Value= Custom (Mine is called: Toggle Sketch Folder), Flags=P
    Show Drums & Percussion - Device=Command, Channel=Macro, Value= Custom (Mine is called: Toggle Drums & Percussion Folder), Flags=P
    Show Keys & Synths - Device=Command, Channel=Macro, Value= Custom (Mine is called: Toggle Keys & Synths Folder), Flags=P
    Show Strings,Brass,Woodwinds (Orchestral) - Device=Command, Channel=Macro, Value= Custom (Mine is called: Toggle Strings/Brass/Woodwinds Folder), Flags=P
    Show Guitars & Other Stringed Instruments - Device=Command, Channel=Macro, Value= Custom (Mine is called: Toggle Guitars Folder), Flags=P
    Show FX/AL/V/C - Device=Command, Channel=Macro, Value= Custom (Mine is called: Toggle FX/AL/V/C), Flags=P

4. Phew, okay, you are done here! Remember to Export! And apply. Now you need to create the Macros and the Project Logical Editor processes it uses:

4.1 Go to Key Commands under the main Cubase "Edit"-pane (Do please make a shortcut to open this, I have it "ctrl+k"). The search bar is your friend by the way, press the small looking glass several times to go to the next found options. We use eight macros (for now). Click "Show Macros" at the bottom right.

upload_2019-7-11_13-11-17.png

4.2 Make a new Macro ("New Macro"-button). Name it Deactivate Solo/Mute All tracks. In the search bar search for "deactivate all mute" and find "Deactivate All Mute States" - click on the "Add Command"-button in the Macros pane at the right, to add the command to the macro. Now just beneath choose the "Deactivate All Solo States" and add the command. The first macro is done! (remember to choose it in the Generic Remote). Also pls remember to save your Key Command preset, and when editing it, remember to choose it ( I always forget this).

4.3 Now for the eight top buttons visbility by opening closing folders. Here we use Project Logical Editor which is opened under the main Cubase "Project"-pane. First we'll make it possible for the Macros to first close all folders. The first Filter Target is: "Container Type Is" : "Equal" : "FolderTrack" and its action target is "Track Operation" : "Folder" : "Close". Save it and name it, so you can choose it in the Key Commands menu under Project Logical Editor folder.

upload_2019-7-11_13-11-48.png

4.4 Now for the six visibility views, so each button after closing all folders will open a single folder. I'll use the Orchestral folders (Strings, Brass and Woodwinds) that are on button6 with Midi CC 55. The first Filter Target is: "Container Type Is" : "Equal" : "FolderTrack" --> set the Bool to "And". The next filter target is "Name" : "Contains" : "Woodwinds" --> and set the Bool to "Or". Do the same for Strings and Brass just change the name. Action target is "Track Operation" : "Folder" : "Open". Save it. Repeat for the last five macros.

4.5 Go to the Key Commands again and Show Macros. Make a new macro and name it e.g. "Toggle Guitars & Other Stringed Instruments folder". Find the folder in the Commands-pane that is named "Process Project Logical Editor" and find the "Close All Folders" you have made. Add the command to the Macro. Now find the "Toggle Guitars & Other Stringed Instruments" command and add it as the second command to the macro. Repeat for the other visibility macros you need. Remember to Save/Export the Key Commands preset file (if you ever have to reinstall Cubase so on). Then go to the Studio Setup and assign the new custom macros you have made accordingly to the Maschine MK3 Generic Remote you made earlier.

Conratulations!! You made it to the end, and your MK3 is now an awesome portable controller for Cubase, utilizing the Komplete Kontrol power! I will be adding pictures of everything and uploading files soon.

CPAF

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. CPAF

CPAF NI Product Owner

Update. Now with link to dropbox with all the different templates! They are still just shy of being completely done, but they are definetely useful and of course you can just make it your own :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. CPAF

CPAF NI Product Owner

Update. Advice about Track Presets

• Like Like x 1
  4. CPAF

CPAF NI Product Owner

Update. "BUG" found - only possible to actually load preset with the enter-key in Komplete Kontrol standalone, not as a plugins. Reported to NI.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019