user "soundpack" authoring and editing the "bank" tag

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by ntula, Sep 12, 2019.

1. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

is there a "toolkit" or compiler for creating user soundpacks. as i see it, the function has been blocked within the program in the label/tags for the projects, it only shows accurate per the folder in the samples. the problem is that without the ability to edit the "bank" name, the only other way to do this is via text/code editing the project files which if the bank name is edited from the generic "machine" one to the name of the project bank name, it causes maschine to crash, likely because the text editor i used used the wrong characters when playing with it. .. likely using vi would have worked per file though likely any updates of saves would undo that...

i am not sure why the bank function in the tags is locked for users projects, etc. these are user files and if one can edit the banks, one can have them display properly in the user project area per the project user bank it uses. this is also the area that prevents authoring soundpacks... anyone want to chime in on this on why this is being blocked for user files. i can understand why NI "factory" packs are locked for certain tags and edits, but not why it applies to user files...

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

the add library function was also removed from kontakt so you can no longer add your own sample libraries to that as well and instead can only load them via the file menu. you have to use an earlier version of kontakt to do it.

3. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

The only way to edit bank names is with scripts, a text editor won't do the trick because the data is compiled.

I also dont see the point in locking bank names from beeing editable, the only reason I can think of is to maintain Expansions as a NI only thing, exclusivity. I brought up this locking silliness before and had no answer, keep in mind some things like thumbnails for custom user stuff are broken since 2.8... not very promising.

NimBank Tool (Created by Denivel) is Python script that allows mass injection/modification of the Author, Vendor, Comment, Product name, Bank name & Sub-Bank for Machine Groups (.mxgrp), Maschine Sounds (.mxsnd) and Massive Files (.nmsv), there's no GUI so get ready to use a command line. Thread here:
    https://www.native-instruments.com/...user-group-expansions-with-thumbnails.326085/

If you use a Mac and get stuck I can try to help, if you're on Windows then you're on your own.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  4. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

I really wish NI would get behind supporting being able to do this without jumping through so many hoops. It's irritating for users, it's irritating for third-party creators.

5. D-One

Yeah.
    There are quite a few devs out there who reversed engineered much more complicated stuff, I dont get why none of those bother to make a mass tag/edit dedicated tool with a GUI, I'd pay 15 bucks for it or more no prob. Pretty sure people doing semi-professional content for Maschine/KK/NKS would pay a higher commercial license price too.

6. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

thank you, i am still in the sampling and layout phase, getting near complete on one. it will be nice to test it with it all showing up properly as it's own third party/user pack. i can see how they may want to "kontrol" what is being included as one that is considered a, and by, NI/factory library, but as far as giving the keys out for third parties and users, innovation is the essence of advancement and if that is kept exclusive, then the greater good suffers. yes, the custom thumbnails do not appear anymore with 2.8.x that do if i open 2.7.10 instead.... which may make is necessary to simply create a script that compiles and converts in batch a third party or user library, and adds the plist pref and resource files, so it scans into the main "product" area.

the other thing that irks me are functions removed like the ability to remove libraries from maschine and add libraries in kontakt. - for example, you may not wish to have the same sample libraries loaded for maschine as you would kontakt or need to have a different set loaded per location. you cannot really do this anymore and if you keep some of the samples on an external drive that you would not use with maschine or in a mobile configuration, they will inefficiently rescan and "load" when you dock again to the external drive. in kontakt you can hide this libraries you may not be using, but you cannot truly "disable" them in maschine or kontakt, which speaks of poor sample management. with the advent of products like komplete 12 collection where is it likely on a laptop, unless you have a 2gig internal, you will have to use an external (most laptops are 256GB to 1TB) and in this case, when you connect the external drive again, you will have to wait for maschine to rescan all of them regardless of needing them. this is actually something that either native access should be able to do globally (you can do it manually on a mac by simply putting an "x" in front of the /Library/Preferences/com.native-instruments.Library Name.plist like this: x-com.native-instruments.Library Name.plist), or in the programs via a library manager that lets you specifically "disable" libraries that will put them on hold and hid them - better yet letting you name these settings to recall per the location and setup of the laptop.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019 at 10:41 PM
  7. D-One

The Loop/One-Shot tag allows for thumbnails to work but it requires the Author/Vendor tag to be "Native Instruments" which is terrible for anyone wanting to create content (to share or sell) since you can't credit yourself, company or website. Offitial word is that this vendor thing was not intentional... but it's been a while.

There is a solution for the credits thing, it's a bit annoying but works, I did it to test adding a thumbnail for my Splice sample folder, in case you want to try it here it goes:
    (no plists involved at all, just some jsons)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

What affects what is pretty self-explanatory, paths highlighted in the first pic, you can just copy one exiting product folder and modify it.

Attached Files: