1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Using Battery with Maschine have to map all pads

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by kaotik78, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Stefancitoe

Stefancitoe New Member

This was great. I was trying to figure out how to do this and this made things so much easier.

2. StarSMASH

StarSMASH NI Product Owner

i might have to get on this to bypass maschine sequencer for a faster workflow. I'm also guessing you'd have to manually move over all of the other sounds into your battery folder to make them accessible in battery though? Battery has plenty of sounds and kits already, but not all of KUCE.

3. DynaMaltee

DynaMaltee NI Product Owner

Hi, isn't the simplest way to trigger all Battery sounds from Maschine by just selecting keyboard mode instead of pad mode… that's at least how I do it.
    mssss.PNG

4. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

It is but you lose a bunch of control... If a Hit is in a higher octave and another is a lower octave you cant play them in at the same time from the Pads, which is annoying for those who record in a more finger-drumming way, you also lose things like Pad Mutes because you cant use mute one single instrument key, MIDI also gets consolidated inside one Pad, etc, etc.. there are many disadvantages.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Blindeddie

Blindeddie NI Product Owner

Battery has a browser that allows you to grab sounds from anywhere on your computer. no need to move anything anywhere.

Peace,

Blindeddie

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. StarSMASH

I’ll have to try it then. I’d still use maschine browser to audition sounds which you can’t do in battery, but at this point, I only use maschine to route/drag and drop my drum kit, so this may be the last stop to even recording anything in standalone mode.

7. Blindeddie

You can audition sounds (Samples/Loops) inside Battery but there are no "Kit" previews like in Maschine or KK (Which are basically just prerecorded grooves/patterns using the kit.) If you are going to build your own kits say from random samples on your drive, then there would be no Previews for those in Maschine unless you created the Preview file and put it in the proper location.

Peace,

Blindeddie

8. StarSMASH

yea i meant previews, which i was wrong about because i've only ever loaded samples through my file path folder. Is there a way to scroll through and preview Battery VST sounds using the hardware though?

9. D-One

You cant preview full kits, but raw samples will play.
    No, the only software with previews and HW browsing is Maschine and Komplete Kontrol.
    KK does have the same previews as Maschine for the Library/Expansion Battery kits... So if you are willing to use KK, it guess that will work.

• Like Like x 1
  10. StarSMASH

i also see videos of people
    Thank you.

I'm now trying to map battery to my MK3 midi. i press the midi button near the key range icon and i'm trying to map it to C0, but battery is not recognizing my MK3. It works fine for my KKmk2 though....

Attached Files:

11. Blindeddie

Is the MK3 set up as a controller on your DAW? If so that may be the issue. At least it was for me... as I use the MK3 as an MCU controller. Once I removed as a controller, it works perfectly.

Also, I noticed that when in the file/sample browser, using the up and down arrow keys on the computer KB lets you scroll through samples...if preview is engaged then you will hear the sample.

Peace,

Blindeddie

• Like Like x 1
  12. StarSMASH

I got it the pads to learn in midi mode. i must've
    no, as seen in the image provided above (the first one) i actually created a logic pro X template in my controller editor that allows me to use pads and just mapped the transport controls and then i deleted the control surface from logic.

My MK3 pads and faders (midi cc learn) as well as my KKmk2 faders (midi cc learn) do not work for mapping with battery 4 using battery VST in logic currently. however, my KKmk2 keys work for mapping within battery.

13. Blindeddie

Is the MK3 set up as midi input in battery when in standalone (which is what I assume you mean with the KK)? It all works for me here, but we are using completely different OS's and DAWS, so I cant help troubleshoot that...

one thing I did notice in your screenshots is that you are setting the pad midi channel to 3...is the track that Battery resides in possibly set to a different Midi Channel and not 3 or Omni? just a thought.

Peace,

Blindeddie

14. StarSMASH

do i have to set it as midi input in battery standalone? i've never even opened battery standalone, i've only used it in maschine and now using it as VST in logic. when you say standalone, do you mean within KK the software? i actually meant that my KKmk2 HARDWARE works as midi input for battery (just the keys though, not the knobs).

Yea i changed it to midi channel 3 in the VST and in logic to see if that was the problem which wasn't it....

15. Blindeddie

When I say standalone, I mean using it as its own App which I can do on Windows.. All outside of KK, Maschine or DAW. and there is Midi input selection there. But that is not available when used as a VST. (you don't need it, the host handles that)

By default battery does not have any host automation parameters set up, but you can add them and then you can control those parameters with the KKMk2 knobs within Komplete Kontrol...

Understood!!!

And being on Windows and not having Logic, I am basically making "Suggestions" of possible things to try. My lack of understanding of Logic (and Macs) limits what I can and can't help with...

Peace,

Blindeddie

16. StarSMASH

i got the knobs to work on both the KKmk2 and the MK3 by using enable host automation instead of CC mapping. i still can't get the MK3 pads to work though :-/

17. StarSMASH

and now it's all glitchy and has a latency of 10 days when i map and move the knobs. then it freezes and i have to force quit. this doesn't seem worth it.

18. D-One

Dude, I have to tell ya... Logic is a weirdo. In this case, we usually select the MIDI port input on the Baterry instrument track to be the MK3 Virtual Port but Logic has no way to select MIDI ports in its tracks... MIDI is global through the whole DAW.
    So, I noticed Logic won't accept MIDI In instruments if you use the Mk3's virtual MIDI port in any Control Surface Devices, so apparently you can't have both triggering instruments + Mackie control, once turned mackie off the pads worked fine, so does automation with the knobs.

• If I use "Learn MIDI CC" Logic records the automation in a MIDI Clip, "Sound Variation" and shows up in the Step Editor. (Record has to be ON for this, AFAIK)
    • If I use "Enable Host Automation" then it gets a normal automation track that is independent of Clips but I am not sure how one controls what with MIDI.
    If you use both thins for the same knob they will fight each other.
    Lol. What the heck have you done tho?

19. StarSMASH

I see. I thought I set my MK3 up optionally under the controller editor because I deleted my MK3 as a control surface in logic and just assigned my pads to notes and transport controls in the same template. This was supposed to let me have the best of both worlds in one template since it wasn’t technically a MCU (or so I thought) but still had MCU mapped.

Yea I’ve realized your later sentiment a few days ago as well and the solution is to only learn the knob assignment in logic and skip midi cc altogether. It’s technically the same function and I can’t tell the difference at this point. I just leave the track on latch if I want to record the automation and read if I don’t and it serves just like a midi cc.

I have no idea what I did but I’m using my kkmk2 for now instead. You say logic is a weirdo. What other experiences have led you to that statement?

20. D-One

I wasn't being that serious, it's just that stuff like this isn't supposed to be this complicated, it's just automation.
    General MIDI like this not being able to select a MIDI Port on track thing + AU not outputting MIDI + an overall sense of "being different for no practical reason" which is very Apple-like, those are just a few at the top of my head but I am sure it also has many advantages and shines in other areas.