1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Vestax VCI-100 Firmware update 1.2

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR 3' started by Timtango, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AntiTelo

AntiTelo Forum Member

Sucsessfully performed an update to 1.3 firmware with Siemens C55 (PL-2303 chip) datacable.
    Everything is fine, but scratch ramp up bug stays

2. TeLLy

TeLLy NI Product Owner Extraordinaire

^^could be the whole deal with using the wrong MIDI notes....

3. simplysounds

simplysounds NI Product Owner

you mean you've upgraded to 1.2 not 1.3?
    somewhere in this thread there are details on changing the midi notes. you could also try to change the resolution.

4. AntiTelo

AntiTelo Forum Member

I used Ean Golden's firmware (v1.3)

5. applematt

applematt Forum Member

Ean's 1.3 leval can be switched back to 1.2... its a key sequence when you switch the vci on... watch part 2 video on his website > http://www.djtechtools.com/

6. AntiTelo

AntiTelo Forum Member

Yep, I know that. Unfortunately you must use this key sequence every time you boot VCI to get 1.2 firmware.

7. jgerry

jgerry New Member

These items are easy to find, no problem. Did you just manually solder the wires to the pin headers on both ends? I'm looking for an easier way. I can do the soldering, but I'd really rather just have a cable header that fits on both ends. Has anyone found anything like this yet? djtechtools isn't selling theirs yet and I'm getting impatient. How about this cable?

link to cable

There's pinout information for that cable in this PDF:

link to cable pinout PDF

The cable has a header, but who knows if it will fit, and it appears that it won't match the pin headers on the VCI-100 motherboard anyway. (see attached graphic of pinouts).

But I could just clip off the header and use the wires directly, right? Even better -- I'd like to wire up a header that actually fit properly. Where can I get such a connector? What is that type of connector called? Obviously I'd need a 6-pin female connector of some sort, but I don't know what it's called.

This should be soooo much easier to do than it actually is. Thanks Vestax. :angry:

Alternately, I could just go with the raw USB TTL header mentioned in the above post, but I'd still like to be able to make a cable that connected to that on one end (4 pins) and to the VCI-100 header on the other end (6 pins, 4 used).

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

8. Ean Golden

Ean Golden NI Product Owner

9. jgerry

jgerry New Member

Somehow I missed that. Thanks!

10. The Syndrome

The Syndrome NI Product Owner

11. jgerry

jgerry New Member

I went ahead and bought the connector from djtechtools. That + a USB -> DB9 cable from Amazon w/ free shipping cost me about $35 total. I figured it's worth it to spend a few extra $$ and not have to deal with making my own connector.

I'll post back when it's done.

Question: Should I flash to 1.2, or the custom 1.3 firmware? I should look into this before next week when my stuff gets here.

12. AntiTelo

AntiTelo Forum Member

The 1.3 fw includes 1.2 fw :) , so flash 1.3

13. Ean Golden

14. tamamma

tamamma New Member

So if i have a dku-5 cable can i upgrade to 1.3 without any problem? I'm from italy and i know that ordering from djtechtools will cost more for shipping than the item. Otherwise their solution it would be the simplest one. Thank you in advance

15. Ean Golden

not really tamamma, shipping to europe is only $7 and its free if you buy a pair of jog grips too.

16. tamamma

tamamma New Member

Nice! I'm gonna order both of them, but the serial to usb cable is included in the package? If not where can i find it?

17. jgerry

jgerry New Member

So my update went fine, no problems!

I have to do some experimenting now to figure out how I want to use all this new stuff. I really need to figure out what enhancements 1.3 adds to the controller itself, and how much is just a much-modded .tks file. I may go back to 1.2 permanently, still too early to tell. I've got two weeks before I have to gig with it again, so I have some time to play and work out the kinks.

How do I get it to boot up with 1.2, and how do I know? I read hold the loop button when starting it -- but is that the loop buttons on the SE version, or the original version, one, both, all? Confusing.

I don't really care for all the loop functions, I don't really need (or understand) juggle mode. I do like some of the of the things with the effects and filter functions. So I want to determine how to keep what I want, get rid of what I don't, and whether I need to keep the 1.3 firmware or not to do it.

The thing I wanted most -- to be able to release the jog wheels without a weird delay -- well, that works pretty well! So now I can kick a release almost like a real record, and I'm happy about that.

18. Ean Golden

no, the serial to usb cable is not included but can be found very easily at your local computer store.

19. ibizarulez

ibizarulez New Member

I searching for the orginal vestax 1.2 firmware

can someone please send it to my email adress

ibizarulez"at"gmail.com

many thx

20. The Syndrome

The Syndrome NI Product Owner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.