1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Vestax Vci-100 - New Firmware In The UK - The Scoop!

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR 3' started by Dickins, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inder

inder New Member

Thanks for this information

I just got my VCI-100 and have issues, its not been recognized by OSX 10.5 (Leopard) as well Windows XP SP2
    only its working fine with my iMac 10.4 (Tiger), as you mention I dont have a green sticker showing the latest version on the box.
    I hope Guitar center exchanges it for the latest one,
    Inder

2. t121xta

t121xta Forum Member

Instructions to Firmware update please

Has anyone figured out how to the firmware update manually? I heard a user called Ean_Golden is in the know how, if your reading this I would much appreciate the firware update instructions/file etc. Any help would be great mate as I don't really want to fork out the ££s like many others...

3. wild_andy_c

wild_andy_c Forum Member

Can you confirm if your TKS TeLLyVCI1.2-TF.tks has made pitch bending more sensitive - it feels that way big style!

4. TeLLy

TeLLy NI Product Owner Extraordinaire

Honestly I never did a thing to the pitch bending, whatever is there is what I got off the base TKS file. If it feels better though, more power to ya.

5. wild_andy_c

wild_andy_c Forum Member

Looking at the settings running the free web viewer or in Traktor it seems there is only one sense level for the jogs and it is split 2 ways :

1. Wheel spinning (pitch bend)
    2. Wheel spinning with pressure applied to metal plate (scratching)

So making the scratching more sensitive automatically makes pitching more sensitive (better).

Cheers Telly - you made my day / VCI 100!

6. Timtango

Timtango Forum Member

I've got my hands on an official 1.2 update kit...

just got it. Will scan the manuals etc and post once I've had a chance.
    It's more involved than I thought - there is a mystery box between the serial connector and the custom cable that plugs into the VCI innards.

Attached Files:

7. TeLLy

TeLLy NI Product Owner Extraordinaire

Zowie! How much did you get that for dude? Are you a vendor or other such client of Vestax?

8. Timtango

Timtango Forum Member

didn't cost me anything. I'm on good terms with a distributor, he let me take the kit home to flash my VCI-100.
    But I haven't got it working yet. It's really quite a process - the connector on the VCI is on top of a 2nd board that sits underneath the main board.
    You need to unscrew the lower board and flip it over to get at the header.
    Then some software from a company called 'Renesas' is installed - it looks like ROM programming software. The chip in the VCI is a H8/3052F, running at 24Mhz
    I think the problem I'm experiencing is because my USB -> RS232 is not working properly. I'll post when I'm done. A sufficiently skilled person with the right ROM flashing kit could wire up a harness for the VCI and replicate this kit, but now that I have it, I realise that most people really should get in touch with a distributor or send their units in to be flashed.
    ---
    ok, done. Laptop needed a reboot, and after that the new com port showed up. The flash worked after that
    ---
    According to the manual, the 1.2 update adds quite a lot over the first revision:
    1. Traktor 32. / 3.3 / 3.3LE 4-Deck control (with 2x VCI-100)
    2. Jog Wheel cancel mode - apparently you can disable the jog wheels and touch sensors while playing if heavy bass is making them drift
    3. Jog dial output sensitivity improved (sounds like higher resolution?)
    4. Add touch sensor on/off signals (this is what enables the smooth scratching)
    ---
    UPDATE - playback is much better... the lag/ramp is gone when fiddling with wheels, and the decks don't drift anymore - I used to find that unless I used sync, I constantly had to nudge the jog wheel to keep things in sync. Didn't mind too much, no more so than a CDJ or vinyl needs the odd correction, but I found it strange that software would need it. Now that's gone. Could be the increased sensitivity thing - I have my sensitivity set to max in my tks file. I've remapped the effect buttons so that they match the screen display, and things seem to finally be working like they should. yay!
    ---
    it's possible to set the jog sensitivity in the tks file - you can do this in the editor in Traktor. I've just done the update to 1.2 and the sensitivity improvement is noticeable. Feels pretty much like a CDJ now, where before I thought the movement was a bit coarse and I would have to barely touch the edge of the platter to get a fine adjustment.

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  9. t121xta

t121xta Forum Member

Hi there. Is the software you used to flash with Renesas "Flash Development Toolkit", is so could you comment on what version it is? Just to introduce myself, I am an electronics engineer trying to replicate the flashing interface and software.

Thanks.
    ---
    Also, i forgot to ask, is the firmware programmed in BOOT MODE or was it USER PROGRAM MODE?

I tried to PM you but unfortunately as I am a newcomer to this forum I cannot PM just yet.

Thanks,
    Trix.

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  10. Timtango

Timtango Forum Member

hi - mail me at tim at 24.com and we can get into the details. I can't remember for certain what mode it was in because I tried it a few times. I was having trouble with the USB-RS232 interface. I think it was in Boot mode. If I have time tonight I'll start scanning the docs and stuff.

11. DJMISSA

DJMISSA New Member

Compatibility Mac Os X 10.4.11 / Vci-100 ?

Hello,

I'm going to buy a VCI - 100 but i don't know if my OS X 10.4.11 could work with it.

Please answer.

12. Timtango

Timtango Forum Member

yes, plug'nplay on Mac. I currently use my VCI-100 with a Mac running 10.4.11

13. coraxster

coraxster New Member

my

please see on my tks-setup. i have ver1.2 vci100. it is my 2weeks work.
    http://rapidshare.com/files/123817080/corax-tks.tks.html

-low sensitive for jogs. (i prefer 'low-freq' scratch and this is good for findin start-beat you now)
    -changed 7 loop-buttons
    big:
    1.on\off auto-gain (need?)
    2.resize loop *2 (loop end*2)
    3.resize loop \2 (loop end\2)
    litle:
    1.move loop right
    2.move loop left
    3.preview 'deck' forward
    4.preview 'deck' rev

-now, preview button light is on allways
    -assign key buttons with reverse

...first version, waiting more.

14. smallplayer

smallplayer Forum Member

I emailed Vestax the serial number of my VCI-100 and asked then to confirm the firmware version or tell me how I can tell myself. They have sidestepped the question and won't tell me. Does someone know how to tell or who I can ask to find out. I think I was sold a VCI-100 that was returned by another customer so it may be older than the firmare version 1.2?

15. AntiTelo

AntiTelo Forum Member

Can U share a firmware file ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.