vintage organs

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by dippy, Sep 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glittle

glittle NI Product Owner

Just curious... what is the "magic" in this organ compared to the 57, or to other well-done samplesets? It looks like they are using separate concurrent voices per drawbar so you're not stuck with one sampled registration. That's interesting, but what sort of processor load does that generate?

About things like leslie, chorus, vibrato... things that should apply to the sum of all the played notes and drawbars and not to individual samples, I take it they're using Kontakt's built-in effects? How do those work out in practice?

Anyone compare these to the GSI vb3?

2. iain.morland

iain.morland Forum Member

I think the 57 is just as good, really (some would say the rotator/distortion/cabinet FX are better as they are from Guitar Rig rather than, in the case of Vintage Organs, Kontakt).

But the M3, Compact and Continental organs are for me the most interesting sounds in the new library anyway.

@vic_france, the organs use the Kontakt Saturation effect by default (this is the 'vintage' mode); switching to 'modern' enables an additional instance of the Distortion effect.

3. dippy

dippy NI Product Owner

btw, thanks for all the replies :)

Looking into getting the "upgrade" to K7 since I have kontakt.

4. vic_france

vic_france NI Product Owner

Thanks for the info, Iain :)

5. dippy

dippy NI Product Owner

Yeah, I think that the m3/cont/far are the juiciest enticements for me.

I'm pretty sure that I've decided against the K7 upgrade for now ........I'm starting to lean a bit towards getting the VO.

6. phaedrus123

phaedrus123 New Member

Just got Vintage Organs...Former M3 owner, and I am impressed thus far. Make or break issue regards the panning. So if you just open up the B3 for example, and use the Leslie speaker, the sound moves from left to right, etc. Of course when you hit the accelerator, the speed increases and so does the swooshing as the sound pans from left to right. I am not a huge fan of "hype-ing" the whole stereo Leslie micing technique. When I open the organ with the mono Kontakt player, it seems to have some phase issues.

Questions....Can you reduce the panning spread while running any of the "Vintage Organs" through the Leslie? I know that there is an area where you can pan from left to right, but that is useless as it doesn't affect the panning spread.

If you want to use an organ with a leslie in mono, what's the proper way to go about it? Using the mono Kontakt player reveals phase issues with the two mics that were presumably used on the cabinets.

Also, I like the fact that "Vintage Organs" is sample based. Is the Leslie effect a sampling of true rotation, or is a sort of plug-in simulation of a Leslie. Meaning, were Leslies in acceleration and deceleration sampled, and is that what we hear when we are playing?

Hopefully one of the adminstrators can step in and answer these important questions.
    ---
    +1 on the panning issue!

7. dippy

dippy NI Product Owner

+1 more about the panning!

I haven't bought yet but that is the first thing that I was concerned about. Not having a width control/pan is big no-no in my book.
    ---
    What about using the "stereo modeller" in kontakt?

8. Nicki @ NI

Nicki @ NI NI Team NI Team

Hi,

You can insert the Stereo Enhancer in one of the fx slots of Kontakt's master output and reduce the spread to around -40 to -20%.

If you have the full version of Kontakt, you can also adjust the "Distance" parameter in the Rotor effect.

Hope this helps,
    nicki

9. jimk

jimk Forum Member

Not to over simplyfy the question about panning but I just take the stereo outs to a stereo track within my DAW (Sonar) and simply pan the stereo track to taste. The only time I get a big spread is when I have it panned closed to center.. but only when I require that effect. So, once it is hard panned left or right you can then send this to a mono bus and pan anywhere you want (all phasing artifacts are gone).

Viola, no phasing and no swooshing.

Jim

10. phaedrus123

phaedrus123 New Member

Thanks Nicki! I am new to Native Instruments--can you walk me through the steps of performing both procedures mentioned above? Thanks! What I want to be able to do is to take the sound from the right channel, and put it in the center. And then keep the left channel panned hard left.

11. yaren

yaren Account Suspended

good talk here
    keep it up!
    ---
    thanks man +1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.