wanting to get into modular - is ToyBox the way to go?

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by killmaster, Nov 24, 2019.

1. killmaster

killmaster NI Product Owner

I've been looking at all the free stuff for Euro Reakt and ToyBox (and VCV Rack for that matter) and would like some opinions on what you all think is the overall best system to go with? So far, I really like the sound of ToyBox best but I'm not really even sure why. My mind could just be making it up.

Advice and thoughts greatly appreciated

2. killmaster

I mean I'm wanting to get into software modular rack system!

3. ShelLuser

ShelLuser NI Product Owner

Well, then there are 2 products I can recommend...

Considering that you're already using Reaktor based material my first suggestion would be to get a full Reaktor 6 license. Having access to a full Reaktor environment means that you'll be able to create ensembles and thus also set up full racks.Or build your own ensembles which will also mimic using a modular system:

upload_2019-11-24_18-43-31.png

Although the ensemble (top view) looks like a self containing unit the bottom section however shows you the internals of this utility, and as you can see it's basically a bunch of modules which I strung together. Reaktor allows you to make this as easy or as difficult as you want it to be. You can build pretty much anything in any specific detail.

My second suggestion, although not a fully modular setup (but it can be!), would be Reason.

upload_2019-11-24_19-18-37.png

Note that the instrument on the right ('Complex-1') is not included with the standard program but sold separately as an extension (it is part of their Suite release though). By default Reason works pretty straight forward: you drag in an instrument and it will set itself up automatically by adding a so called 'mix channel' which is a device that represents a separate track in the mixing section.

But that doesn't imply that you you're forced to use that approach:

upload_2019-11-24_19-23-14.png

So here you see the 'back side' of the setup in the first picture and as you can see I did quite a bit of connecting & routing myself. Both Complex-1 & Thor sent their output to the line mixer which I've set up (where Thor filters its output through The Echo effect). When I play my keyboard only Thor gets triggered however... I've also connected the note & gate outputs from Thor's step sequencer and hooked those up with the CV inputs of Complex-1. As a result Thor's step sequencer is now controlling Complex-1.

And there's more.. I've also set up Complex as an insert effect within the mixer and used that audio within Complex' own routing setup. The result of that is quite harmonic :)

Although the main focus of Reason isn't necessarily 'modularity' I still hope to have demonstrated that it can pack quite a punch as soon as you flip the rack around and start connecting and routing stuff manually. What I like about this setup so much is that those virtual wires make it really easy to follow along with the stuff you're doing and setting up.

Hope this can give you some ideas...

4. colB

colB NI Product Owner

Just to be clear, Toy box and Euro Reakt are not separate systems they are third party Blocks collections. They are fully compatible with each other and with the Factory Blocks. And if you're not using Racks, also with the hundreds of blocks available in the user library.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Moujik

Moujik NI Product Owner

I think the various systems (Reaktor, VCV, Softube, Cherry Audio etc) all have pros & cons, and the best way would be to download the demos and have a play around with them

Specifically for Reaktor, I bought the full Toy Box collection recently & am really enjoying it. The sound is good, it covers a lot of bases & I personally like the way features have been designed to interact within a block making it feel more like Eurorack. Downside for me is that it feels a bit more CPU heavy than (for example) Euro Reakt or Blocks Base/Blocks Prime.

I'm planning to buy Euro Reakt ASAP, but am just hanging on in case they decide to do a Black Friday sale ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. killmaster

Wow, great information! Thank you so much for taking the time!

7. killmaster

Thanks for the clarification!

8. killmaster

Interesting. Just downloaded Euro Reakt free and going to check it out. Thank you!

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. uksnowy

uksnowy NI Product Owner

Computer Music magazine are giving away Cheery Audio Nucleus edition free. I tried it and must say I was not impressed with the sound.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Ralf Oberbarnscheidt

Ralf Oberbarnscheidt New Member

I probably will sell my Reason 11 Intro licence, because I would like to buy (hmm...) a Reaktor 5 licence...Are you interested?

11. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

R5 is legend - buy R6, please

12. Ralf Oberbarnscheidt

Ralf Oberbarnscheidt New Member

May be, but my money doesn't reach for R6...

13. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner