What DAW do u use with Maschine in 2014

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by jpeg, Jun 18, 2014.

1. jpeg

jpeg Forum Member

was messing with Reaper an old version 3.75 (I think) and using reroute to track **** out live doing my mutes on the fly.

Now I'm messing with Studio One and da **** sounds better, I am just using it like a tape deck press play in maschine than press record in Studio one.

two tracking, no separate stems - pure caveman antics

In previous versions i found exporting from maschine took something away from the sound like the beat did not hit as hard after export; dont know about drag and drop but imagine its the same.

just wanted to get some workflow ideas for tracking out

2. mezzurias

mezzurias NI Product Owner

I use a few DAWs depending on what I want to do. I use Studio One the most but I also use Ableton, and Logic (though Logic crashes so much I've pretty much given up on it for anything serious at this point).

You can still do stems while tracking it old school in Maschine, by assigning outputs to all you groups in Studio One to audio tracks. Hit record and start going. It's what I do when I want to track a song live without having to drag and drop patterns. Doing it this way is kind of like old school MPC way of tracking beats into your DAW. You can record your mutes on the fly. If you have a vocal already you can get more dynamic arrangements that way.

I've been doing things this way a bit more since I've been preparing for some live shows I have coming up. I try to do everything as realtime as possible without tracking myself into a wall by just tracking to two track.

BTW, I've mentioned this before but you can also track your whole song inside of Maschine as well. Just fire up a pad, go to sample, sampel from Master and go for it. You can then save the wave file. This has worked well for me when I just want to record my stuff live without having to worry about the overhead of a DAW.

In Ableton you can track you whole song across multiple tracks then cut each piece every 4-8-16-whatever bars and create patterns to launch live. Then you can use Live to arrange your tracks while still keeping your track pretty dynamic.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Supercreative

Supercreative NI Product Owner

Pure MASCHINE! I´m loving it! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
    Even it´s not a "real" DAW.

• Like Like x 2
  4. alpert

alpert NI Product Owner

5. Mystic38

Mystic38 NI Product Owner

Have used Sonar for several years... x3 is a great program and a great deal when the bundled goodies are considered...

6. skinsfandc

skinsfandc Forum Member

Yeah Cubase I've decided no. For now I sketch ideas using my ipad with imaschine and their expansion packs. I then throw them in maschine standalone. It depends, it's either maschine in standalone or maschine in studio one. That's pretty much it.

7. PsychoSonic

PsychoSonic New Member

So there's some love for the Maschine MK2.1 with Presonus Studio One 2.6.2?

I'm still learning my way around Maschine (only had it a couple months), but I KNOW it's about time to grab a DAW.
    I've been scouring boards/threads for awhile now, and since I came in at a weird time for Maschine (right after the 1.8 to 2.0 strangeness - and now at the 2.1 stage)... I was wary of committing my (limited) funds to any DAW that might not jive well with it.

I had pretty well narrowed it down to Sonar X3 Studio ($199), Presonus Studio One Professional (I can upgrade from my free copy of artist for $225 until June 30th) or Ableton Live 9 Standard (I have Lite, so upgrade is normally $379... didn't have the funds available to upgrade for $265 this past weekend or I would have:mad:).

Seems like Everybody & their mom likes Live & Maschine together (plus I have a Novation Launchkey 49 with "In Control" that's MADE to go with Live anyway)... but is Studio One a good fit too?
    I'm getting impatient for some linear vocal/guitar recording capabilities, and don't think I can wait til the next Live sale (and a "$379 upgrade" ain't happenin... EVER).
    I've only got til the 30th to grab Studio One for the great price.

Just want to get some feedback as far as Maschine VST integration as well as midi controller templates are concerned within these 3 DAWs.
    (the info above -in earlier posts- is very cool to know about, as far as recording live input directly. I hadn't read much in this vein previously:):thumbsup:)

Sorry to ramble... I've just been scouring forums everywhere the last couple months, and keep getting tangled up in OLD posts with people yammerin on about how Maschine (2.0) didn't work with their DAWs... blah, blah, blah.

So like the OP says:
    "What DAW do u use with Maschine in 2014?"
    (if it's Live 9 - like So Many Others, could you tell me -Why- Live 9 vs. Sonar X3 vs. Studio One?)

thanks a lot, btw.
    Not tryin to hijack. At All. Just seeking enlightenment.:eek:
    (I've personally got Komplete 9 also, if it makes a differenceo_O)

8. skinsfandc

skinsfandc Forum Member

Demo before buying.

9. Mystic38

if you plan on using your setup live (as in performing) then I would recommend Live. But its not the most flexible or capable DAW.
    I don't think that you can go far wrong with either studio one or Sonar... Obviously from my post above I am a user of Sonar for several years but did demo studio one a while back.
    imo the bang/buck with the Sonar packages makes it compelling..

10. PsychoSonic

PsychoSonic New Member

Yeah, that's the feeling I had very strongly for awhile (Sonar X3). And I've got some experience on the ancient Sonar Producer editions (like #2 & 3o_O)... but truthfully got let down by their horrible buggy featureless demo that they (for SOME reason) released to the masses. I know from what others have said that it's a very large improvement from X2... and I'd probably be content with X3 Studio at this point (Producer would be extravagant at my stage of development).

The haters (who're Always gonna hate) love to dump on how sluggish Sonar feels to them "like swimming through mud" & all that hooha.

Do you ever find yourself even Using the Matrix aspect of the program?

(and as far as "demo first" is concerned... theoretically it makes sense, but I'd really rather not invest a whole lotta time trying to figure out new software from multiple companies during 30-day trial periods. I've got music to make, and my Own software to learn. Not to mention that they're so lacking in features -generally- from the full versions. Or else, I download the 30-day trial and spend all my time during those 30 days doing other stuff. Then what?:rolleyes:)

Again, sorry, not trying to hijack the thread. Just seeking wisdom and advice for making an Informed Decision. And spending hours trying to learn all three of these in 30-day demo versions is out, for me personally. I'll knuckle down and focus on the One that makes the most sense to me.
    Probably pointless to even bring FL Studio into the equation, as that's a true "beginner's DAW" in the eyes of most due to its lineage?:confused:

What DAW do u use with Maschine in {{{2014}}}?

11. Mystic38

x1 was a bit of a disaster (think Maschine 2.0 for how much fun the forum was with "wtf" threads galore..lol) ... but the new GUI and screensets made up for it.. but after a year (X1D) was fine, X2a was pretty good but x3 is really solid and classy..

The step sequencer is great, arps are good, snap to scale, etc.. Matrix works fine though i have not used it extensively... both audio and midi are handled really well.. the good thing about cakewalk is that major updates are usually around $99.. so cost of ownership is low (heres looking at you Ableton), and with each update you get more than your cost back with newly added plugs.

12. PsychoSonic

PsychoSonic New Member

Yeah, yeah, yeah.
    Now yer speaking my language.
    (and those Maschine 2.0 wtf threads have been ruining my buzz and holding me back from just going ahead and getting a DAW... seeking, seeking, seeking for validation that things gel well with my Komplete Maschine MK2.1:mad:)

I almost went ahead and bought X3 Studio THREE different times now, but relentless forum-hopping always made me hold back at the last second.

Studio One appeals to me in that -from what I've heard- (and the little bit I've SEEN in my "Artist" version - with no 3rd party VST's keeping me from testing Maschine capabilities:mad:) the interface is very simple and straight-forward on the surface... but it goes deep if you're ready to go there.

While Sonar X3 has heavy features (more than I need) in the (cheaper than anybody) "Studio" mid-range version... the interface is much more pleasing -in regard to eye candy-... but many say it can be too cluttered and overwhelming. Does anybody find this to be the case?

Is there more steps to take to get where I need to be utilizing Maschine/Massive/Battery/Guitar Rig/Reaktor, etc. in Studio One vs. X3 vs. Live 9?

And everyone seems to be thrilled with the Live 9 template situation.
    How about Sonar and Studio One?
    Am I going to have to manually set the controller up through laborious mind-numbing time-consuming manual-devouring marathons of non-music-Making computer-time?

I have read hundreds and hundreds of pages of manuals (and have probably Thousands more to go)... and that's fine. That's great. That's part of the learning process. It must be done. I'd just like to spend less time devoted to controller set-up in the DAW that will be My DAW in the Very Near Future.

What DAW do u use with Maschine in {{{2014}}}?

13. rbrucemtl

rbrucemtl NI Product Owner

FL Studio is my DAW can't see that ever changing :thumbsup:

14. Jordan Turner

Jordan Turner Active Member

I love using it in Ableton Live 9 Suite. It's so easy to integrate it and I love everything about Ableton.

15. Bonus Beats

Bonus Beats Guest

been sequencing in dirt the last few months does wonders for the low end.

Map_zpsb6a79acb.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. Solum

Solum Forum Member

I am using Ableton Live 9 with Maschine. The intergration of Maschine is well again since the last update. I have setup a Midi and audio channel per Maschine group. This makes it easy to work with Maschine in Live.

• Like Like x 1
  17. PsychoSonic

PsychoSonic New Member

Is it possible to have a similar set-up in DAWs besides Ableton?
    Or do they have the market cornered on this?o_O

18. TraumaBeatsDrama

TraumaBeatsDrama NI Product Owner

I use FL studio as a vst in maschine, actually works extremely well. use FL for sound design and its piano roll, and sample the audio into Maschine.

19. backtothefront

backtothefront Forum Member

Logic Pro X and blooming love it, also got Reason 6.5 but I rarely touch that now. I've had Reason for years, then bought Maschine a couple of years ago, which was a revelation. But then Logic Pro X came out and thought can't go wrong for that price and tbh, it's great. I do a lot of the drum and groove production in Maschine, but all keys and mixing in X. I test drive every release of Live but I've never got on with it, despite the rave reviews.

20. Solum

Solum Forum Member

Why will my signature link not work? In preview it`s shown correct every time but never within a thread.
    Sorry for OT but it`s annoying.