What is more missed: Meta data sync between TDJ and TPro or correct musical key detection in TDJ ?

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR DJ (for iPhone and iPad)' started by Kalo, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Kalo

Kalo Active Member

Hi Guys,

I’ currently working on 2 project ideas, please let me know your thoughts about:

Project 1 - TDJ Musical Key Patcher:
    I’m quite frustrated about the quality of musical key detection rate of TDJ. I was wondering, why such a lot of songs with 'same' Musical key in TDJ sound terrible together. As a musican I started to compare dozens of songs, compared the TDJ key results with the real key (using my ears and a piano). Result: the whole recommendations in TDJ are quite useless as TDJ detects for about 50% of all songs a wrong musical key (and quite more worse than 'only' major vs. minor key issues). I found the same issue later in the Internet: http://www.djtechtools.com/2014/01/14/key-detection-software-comparison-2014-edition/ and here an official spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...cHJNZVN2T3gzX1RSYUdZYzJFdnc&usp=sharing#gid=0

All of my songs are analyzed on my PC with MixedInkey, quite amazing, nearly all are correct. I tagged my files, but TDJ ignores all tags when synchronizing the songs in the iPad/iPhone song library. Unbelivable.

So the idea of the project: Writing an application (VBA macro, similar my Traktor Analyzer 2.0), which will ‘patch’ the collection.nml from TDJ.
    Workflow:
    • backup TDJ collection.nml to your PC
    • patch your local copy it with my (planned) ‘TDJ Musical Key Patcher’. The patcher itself will read from any text file (which contains the song title/artist/album and a musical key, separated e.g. with ; like in an csv file). Hint: it's quite easy to produce such a file (e.g. with Mp3tag)
    • restore the patched collection.nml back to TDJ. So no re-sync necessary, after restore all musical keys will be updated.

Project 2 - Traktor Collection Cue Patcher:
    The old … old topic meta data sync (cue points) between Traktor pro an TDJ. I’m meanwhile tired to wait to a solution from NI, so I plan also for this an application (VBA macro, similar my Traktor Analyzer 2.0). Same principle: read the grid, bpm and cues directly from any Traktor Pro collection.nml and write the necessary information into the collection.nml from TDJ. I will make this possible for all kind of Traktor Pro collection, also for songs which are directly imported in Traktor Pro (without using itunes library on PC). The idea is not to realize a online meta-sync, it’s simple the idea to find a way to import e.g. the hundreds (or thousand) predefined cue’s once to TDJ. You can use the app at any time you defined a bunch of new cue’s
    Workflow:
    • backup TDJ collection.nml to your PC
    • patch this local copy it with my (planned) ‘Traktor collection Cue Patcher’. The patcher reads all cues from the Traktor Pro (!) collection.nml and replaces the TDJ cues with the Traktor cues.
    • restore the patched collection.nml back to TDJ.
    • Question: which direcion is more important for you (in a first step)??: Transfer all cues from Traktor Pro to TDJ … or the other way around ?

----
    And before you ask me regarding Mac: Sorry, I don’t have a Mac, so I can work only on a application for the PC (using VBA), but I can share my source source after finalizing, so everybody with Mac developer skills could convert to a Mac app.

Let me know what you need. Which project is more usefull for the community ? ... or is there any other project '3' wish ? ;)

Kalo

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  2. Shon Mogharbai

Shon Mogharbai New Member

Hi Kalo,

First off, this is an amazing contribution. My introduction to DJing was through Traktor DJ (and still use it to this day). I've grown out of the technology and want to expand to a laptop to use the new S8. The only problem is I have about 1,000+ beatgrids, cues, loops, etc. on my iPad that I can't transfer to my Mac because MetaData Sync no longer exists. I know you said that you were only focusing on PC, but if you come across anything that can help I would really appreciate it. It just kills me to think that I might have to go song by song on my laptop and manually re-analyze all of my tracks...

3. Kalo

Kalo Active Member

Hi Shon,

thanks for your feedback.! I was wondering already whether I’m the only guy having this problems with missing meta sync, as there was no posting at all before, so all other user seem to be happy ;)

First of all, thanks for you offer. I also have a collection with about 1000 songs, each song has 4-8 cues, so no way to reanalyze manually.

Some good news: Meanwhile I’m close to finish my projects. I decided to build one universal PC app which solves all mentioned problems above: My new app can import cue points, cue loops, grids, bpm and also musical key information from ANY file into the Traktor collection.nml. And it works without iTunes on PC/Mac side, so you also can sync with any track collection on PC/Mac. Last not least the app can patch Traktor DJ and Traktor Pro collection files, so the sync is possible in both directions.

I’m currently on vacation. After return I need some time for beta testing, then I will post my app in the forum. It’s still based on PC (not Mac), but I will share the source too, so maybe there’s a way to migrate. And as long the app is based on PC: what I always can offer to you or other interested guys: You could send me your two collection.nml files (the one from your iPad TDJ with cue's and the one from Mac/Traktor without cue's). I assume my app on my PC can patch any collection.nml files (also Mac files), running the app itself need a PC only. I could patch your files for you (needs seconds only) and send you back the patched new 'filled' Mac collection.nml

Give me some time more (about 3-4 weeks) ok ? … in any case, I'm quite sure, you will have your TDJ cue’s transferred to Mac Traktor soon ... don't follow the idea to re-input all 1000+ cue points manually, this huge effort wouldn't make sense at all :)

kalo

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  4. Shon Mogharbai

Shon Mogharbai New Member

Thank you so much for your reply! Even though the Traktor DJ user population may be low, I think there are a lot of us that are dying for metadata sync. We're just scattered all over the place ;) That would be amazing if your PC could patch my collection files to your computer. That would seriously be a dream come true and liberate me to test out things like the S8. Hope you have a good vacation, can't wait to hear how the beta testing goes when you get back!

5. GenErik

GenErik Active Member

I love your skills mate. Just wish you could apply it to something other than VBA. Most DJs and especially Traktor DJs use Macs and don't want to fiddle around with virtualised Windows.

Ideally NI would simply just give a ****, but we know that's never going to happen. Too busy creating new hardware controllers.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kalo

Kalo Active Member

Thanks man ;) you're right ... You know what, I'm already thinking about a Mac solution. If if have some free time, maybe looking for any cheap 2nd hand MAC, training myself on OSX, starting on developing MAC apps. Let me finish and test on PC first, then jumping on an mac env without VBA. But will need some time..

And yes! ... Waiting to a NI solution ... Will never ever happen :D, too busy with HW deals.

• Like Like x 1
  7. KidVector

KidVector New Member

Such was the initial potential of TDJ I toyed with the idea of moving from Serato to Traktor as my DVS solution. However, I am mightily relieved I haven't. In that time NI have let an app, if developed further, could have been a real game changer fall into disrepair. All the while Serato have marched on and consilidated their offerings whilst forming more and more excellent partnerships with 3rd party manufacturers.

If you're new to the DJ world and you've been brought here though your interest in TDJ and are considering making the leap to full DJ hardware controllers or DVS I implore you, take a moment. See what Serato and their partners have to offer first. Don't make a decision based on potential, but one based on fact.

And the fact of the matter is this, if anything the last 12 months have established it's that NI don't give a flying f--- about developing TDJ, not even developing, reinstating functionality that they used to hoodwink people into buying a product that was not as advertised.

Rather, they would have TDJ mothball and attempt to shift more hardware. All the while other companies offer more and more fully featured, advanced iOS and integrated solutions. This near-sightedness may well be NI's undoing in the ever fast moving world of the digital DJ. And if it's not their undoing I hope it's a rude awakening to respect more the contract between consumer and supplier.

I eagerly await this post being moderated.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kalo

Kalo Active Member

Hi Shon, meanwhile I'm ready to go ;) ... please check your PM (private conversation). I sent you some more details already ...
    kalo

9. DJLadyHeidi

DJLadyHeidi NI Product Owner

I miss being able to sync .... It was why I originally bought the app .... I feel conned as they just stopped it .... I have hours of work that I really want to sync back to my MacBook ...

10. Kalo

Kalo Active Member

Hi DJLadyHeidi, as you use MAC not PC my app would not work, BUT I could offer you the same support as I do for Shon currently. Give Shon and myself some days more, we try first time to transfer his TDJ cue's (of 1800 Songs) into TPro on MAC (using my new application). If it works, I can do the same for you, don't worry, Need less than 5 min work (if the workflow is tested once). You can prepare the following: Include all songs from TDJ also in the Traktor Pro Collection (via iTunes or directly, both works) and analyze your Songs on TPro Mac. Also sync TDJ to Dropbox, to ensure the TDJ backup is up-to-date. Then send me your dropboxlink and your Tpro collection.nml via PM. I will try to include your complete TDJ dropbox info into your TPro collection.nml (and send you the new TPro collection.nml back. Wait until next week, ok ? :)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  11. DJLadyHeidi

DJLadyHeidi NI Product Owner

Ooooh yes please ! Let me know how you get on

12. b.pelka

b.pelka New Member

Traktor Analyzer 2.0 and where we can download this software?

13. Kalo

Kalo Active Member

14. b.pelka

b.pelka New Member

Kann nichts downloaden
    "NI Support Forum - Error"
    This attachment cannot be shown at this time. Please try back later.

15. b.pelka

b.pelka New Member

ich bin so sauer TRAKTOR PRO & TRAKTOR DJ FU** mich schon so an, ich habe die nase voll (S8, TPRO, TDJ) nur probleme

grüße aus polen

16. Kalo

Kalo Active Member

this is a english spoken Forum, and also honestly I also ask you: please follow the forum guidelines, avoiding any objectionably words. Thx!

17. Kalo

Kalo Active Member

Thanks for letting me know, I just repaired both links, should work now:).

18. b.pelka

b.pelka New Member

sorry, but I am very angry :mad::mad::mad:

19. Kalo

Kalo Active Member

I sent you a PM, please check :)