What is the difference between these modules?

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by Winslow Schiller, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Winslow Schiller

Winslow Schiller New Member

(Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question, but I'm returning to Reaktor after a long absence, which is code for 'working from home')

If I right click "Built in Modules" and add Oscillator/Sine Bank, the module appears in the Structure window but not the Panel window (see pic; left module in Structure). Without adding (a bunch of) Panel Controls, it cannot be edited in the Panel window (obviously).

If I right click "Macros" and add Oscillator/Sine Bank, the module/Macro appears in the Structure window and the Panel window and is editable (see pic; right module in Structure).

These are obviously different species of modules, but what's the thinking behind the difference? Why have an 'invisible' module? Thanks and (again) sorry if the answer to this ought to be obvious. - Winslow

Attached Files:

2. ANDREW221231

ANDREW221231 NI Product Owner

the second module is just the first one with some rudimentary controls already set up. the first module is completely naked with nothing controlling it and that is why you don't see anything in the panel view, because nothing is there

actually maybe if I am remembering right they are not the same. the second module is actually achieved with single sine oscillators. but the point still stands, to do anything with the first module you will need to set up a control system

• Like Like x 2
  3. colB

colB NI Product Owner

A hardware analogy might be that the 'invisibe' modules in the edit window are a bit like electronic components on a circuit board. You really don't want to see stuff like that on the front panel of a synth.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Winslow Schiller

Winslow Schiller New Member

Thanks. That makes sense. Is it correct to say that these 'invisible' items are modules, while visible ones are 'macros'?

5. colB

colB NI Product Owner

That depends :)

Modules are atomic - you can't navigate into their interior.
    Macros are built from modules and other macros.
    In Primary, macros can be visible or invisible - you set the visibility in their properties.
    In core, at this time, everything is invisible

• Like Like x 1
  6. gentleclockdivider

gentleclockdivider NI Product Owner

Hmm I would say that in core everything is Visible , unless they are locked by N.I. ( monark filter etcc..)

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

invisible on the gui

8. gentleclockdivider

gentleclockdivider NI Product Owner

Ahh , O.K. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Catman Dude

Catman Dude NI Product Owner

In spite of the eye-rolling misunderstanding, I have to agree with you! Having almost completed a project involving both primary and core (finally learned enough primary to do this), I found the core programming went much quicker, because of 'visibility' metaphorically speaking.

• Like Like x 1