What should I use for FX, if anything? Help!

Discussion in 'General DJ Forum' started by gfx2000, Nov 16, 2011.

1. gfx2000

gfx2000 New Member

I have a Numark Mixdeck and I run Traktor Pro on a Macbook Pro 17". I noticed that the Mixdeck does not really make it easy for me to use the FX in Traktor. I am only able to control one of the FX at a time. The only way to use multiple FX at a time is if I use my laptop and press the buttons on Traktor. I want to get rid of having to do that. I want to be able to use all my effects, as many possible at once, with out going thru my laptop and Traktor.

Is there a way to map the Mixdeck so this can be achieved? I was considering getting a trigger pad or a Traktor Kontrol X1 to have a separate hardware that will let me quickly access FX.

Thoughts?

2. gonzo.pete

gonzo.pete Forum Member

I have an AKAI MPD32 and its excellent for FX. I have a fader for each effect on dual decks. A fader for wet/dry and endless rotarys for selecting each effect. And all that is just one bank of three.
    Then you have four banks of trigger pads, awesome for loops, cues and other little tricks.

Check out THIS PHOTO for an example of mapping

3. gfx2000

gfx2000 New Member

4. Mystic38

Mystic38 NI Product Owner

given you have the faders and a serviceable deck the x1 is a decent buy..

5. gonzo.pete

gonzo.pete Forum Member

Nah I have a pair of 1200's (not used often) and EKS OTUS all run into a DJM 500.
    My MPD32 gets the most use though, it pretty much handles everything, its very versatile.
    I actually considered the MPD26 but a few things put me off. I wanted the extra 2 faders for my wet/dry. As well as the FX on/off buttons beneath faders. Also the extra rotarys come in handy.
    Another difference is the bank options. On Faders and Rotarys you get three banks on the MPD32. Plus a few other subtle extras, LED lit bank buttons, note repeat etc.

I think its worth paying a little extra and cover every eventuality.

I love my AKAI :D

6. Deucer

Deucer NI Product Owner

You can toggle between the effects with the parameter knob. If you rotate it, it will cycle through the effects, if you push the knob it will move to the next effect slot.

7. gfx2000

gfx2000 New Member

Hey brotha, I purchased the Akai MPD32! The good news is that I got one, the bad is that i have absolutely no clue what I am doing haha. Im wondering how to get Traktor to read it, and how to install the mapping that you showed me in that jpg. What do I gotta do? Thanks!

8. gonzo.pete

gonzo.pete Forum Member

Congratulations on your purchase, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
    Anyway lets get you up and running.
    I already have a thread with my mapping files etc which you can find HERE

I'm assuming you are a confident and experienced PC user, but please ask if I haven't explained anything clearly enough.
    Basically first you need to load/import the .SQS file into the MPD32 via the Vyzex program that should have come with it. This basically tells the unit which midi notes to send that will be read by Traktor and relate to each function. Install any drivers for the AKAI also and you should be fine.

Next you need to import the TSI file inside Traktor itself.
    Open Controller Manager and the MPD32 should appear in the drop down DEVICE menu. Then just import the TSI file to the device, I think the option is under the ADD tab.

Providing those two files are installed correctly everything should function as per the photo.
    Then as and when your requirements vary/change you can simply edit them in the controller manager within Traktor.

Let me know if you have any problems-Good Luck :)

P.S HERE IS THE OFFICIAL PAGE FOR THE AKAI MPD32--INCLUDING VYZEX

9. gfx2000

gfx2000 New Member

oh boy, i hope you didnt write all that for nothing... Cause i have a Mac! will it still work?

10. gonzo.pete

gonzo.pete Forum Member

Yeah I think the process is still pretty much the same. I think the .TSI and the .SQS work on both MAC and PC.

Let me know how you get on :)

11. gonzo.pete

gonzo.pete Forum Member

How are you getting on with the AKAI mapping?

12. cBlaq

cBlaq Forum Member

i have the kontrol X1, nice fit with my mixdeck