why does NI implement absolute NONE of the requested features in the updates?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Frank P., Jun 27, 2019.

1. certifiedbeatz

certifiedbeatz NI Product Owner

There os always going to be problems i have a few request with another standalone product.. they have not implemented yet but i can see it coming sooner rather than later... it took 6 years to add routing back to maschine.. so as far as a former studio customer i don't think i would buy another controller from NI as far as the software i will upgrade as long as it is for free..

2. Stormchild

Stormchild NI Product Owner

Buying software (or hardware) for features that might come later is a poor decision. If the current product doesn’t do what you need or want it to, don’t buy it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Seta

Seta NI Product Owner

The midi out bug "feature" on windows is not announced anywhere; the song mode was announced back in 2016 and I could not have imagined automation was so poorly implemented.
    If I had know about all these before buying I would have probably taken the ableton push 2 route...

• Like Like x 6
  4. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

This is one of the problems with having your software have the appearance of doing far more than it actually does. You may get more initial sales but you also get more unhappy punters so is it really worth it?

5. certifiedbeatz

Main reason they should go stand alone of they could skys the limit.. because there software have to manu problems.. i tried for shits and giggles to use my A25 it worked but its a sketch pad to me..

6. tempsperdu

So if they made a stand alone unit that would solve all the problems that haven't been solved in eons in some cases.........I see now what the hold up is..............................:eek:

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

What are you even talking about? Any hypothetical standalone would still run software, and it's likely it'll be running the same codebase as the Maschine software, but with more limitations, because guess what? It would be a standalone piece of hardware that probably doesn't compare to a modern PC in terms of specs.

Standalone hardware does not mean analogue, or some absence of software. That's never going to happen. NI is a software developer.

• Like Like x 2
  8. certifiedbeatz

What i am talking about is standalone yes will run same software on there hardware would eliminate alot of problems that have to do with users PC or MAC.. running there OS will at least allow u to make beats.. then u can troubleshoot if its there problems or yours .. now as far as features that's on u guys .. no one likea when I'm off the rails screaming about what's been the problems for the last 9 years. so u reap what u sow..

9. tempsperdu

Whilst you could make a case that some of Maschine's problems are it's communication with the host OS they are not the only problems by a long way as you yourself know. Given NI's track record do you seriously believe it would fare better at attempting some kind of OS to run a stand alone.
    I suppose you should be congratulated on having an imagination unfettered by mudane concepts such as reality....................................................

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. certifiedbeatz

It
    Now that was funnny. I have zero confidence in NI i love there expansions and libraries tho.. only reason why I'm still a customer abd that my friend they really bank on from there users here.. why i use the competitor equipment which i grew up on .. by no right is it perfect.. it does however seem to be moving forward with fixes and updates.. which really all i want is 2 requests... as far as maschine there track record speaks for itself.. all is forgotten when you put out a new controller.. then in 1 month or 2 the complaints come rolling in.

11. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

I don’t know how you say you don’t have confidence in NI. You are on the site almost everyday like all of us (because we like NI products), and you bought A 25 keyboard (which is a good purchase). It’s more likely that you are just frustrated with the software, but at the same time keeping tabs on what they come out with. I’m pretty sure if they dropped a new Maschine controller you would be tempted to buy it.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Deafkon

Deafkon NI Product Owner

I own Reason 10 and can say that while the UI could use some updating in key areas like out-dated rack extensions, the biggest obstacle currently is having to run the program in "low-resolution mode" on mac because it can't handle 4k displays without serious UI performance issues.

13. certifiedbeatz

I'm a tech junky what can i say..:rolleyes:... A25 works as a toggle for my other equipment.. hence i never mention it here any :):).. MAGA!

14. Stormchild

Absolutely. This is why I currently don’t use it at all. It runs like a slideshow on my 5K iMac, and I don’t find “low res mode” to be an acceptable solution. It looks even worse, gives me a headache, and still has poor frame rates as soon as you add several devices to the rack. It wasn’t always this terrible. This is a late 2015 iMac and I used Reason on here for years without issues. The performance got significantly worse in High Sierra (and possibly worse again in Mojave) and they never figured out how to resolve it.

I have no performance issues with Logic Pro, Ableton Live, or Maschine.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Stormchild

Bugs obviously need to be fixed and are a separate discussion. Announcing song mode prematurely was not a smart move on NI’s part, but that’s still covered by my suggestion to buy a product for what it does now, not what might be added in the future.

I sympathize with you on the point about automation. The inability to automate the mixer means Maschine is simply not fit for final production, and has to be used with a real DAW. I've also found it basically unusable for sequencing external MIDI devices. Syncing external devices with MIDI clock is fine, because it has a clock offset parameter, but there's no way to compensate for latency when sending MIDI events. I also don't understand why it has its own layer of audio configuration instead of just letting me access my audio interface directly. Maschine has plenty of outputs, but only 8 incoming audio channels, which is a really strange, arbitrary limitation.

Suffice it to say, Maschine has plenty of shortcomings that are impossible to know about before you buy it. Unfortunately, this is just the reality of buying into any complex audio production tool. There's no way to know what the whole experience is like or whether something is going to fit your needs. Even great reviews (which are pretty rare for audio hardware/software; most of them are absolutely useless) can never cover every detail that matters to you. I always download and read the manual for any product before buying it, but even that doesn't give you the whole picture.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  16. tempsperdu

The concept of having to perform due dilligence on software before buying into it seems like overkill ...until you have bought it and found out it isn't :D

• Like Like x 2
  17. Stormchild

Most people don't want to read the manual even after buying the product, much less before.

I really like NI's manuals. They cover pretty much every detail, and it's all very clear and readable. That said, it's hard to learn all the details by reading a manual for a product you don't own, and you shouldn't have to read the manual cover-to-cover to find out if something basic like mixer automation, or even an overall arrangement — which one could reasonably assume it should have — is possible. It's not clear until you actually use Maschine for awhile that the whole thing is built around patterns and groups, which is why the top-level mixer can't be automated (there's no container for top-level automation to live in). It's been around long enough that most people would assume it must have some sort of arrangement (aka "song mode") by now, but for whatever reason it's not there yet (whatever happened to that must be an interesting story; they were obviously working on it, but it seems like the whole project got derailed somehow).

• Like Like x 2
  18. tempsperdu

For a great many users and even more so now given the market they are luring, Maschine is their first foray into music making via a controller / computer set up and on first looks it has the appearance of doing far more than it does so and hey it's the future of sound so how could it not be ahead of the curve. LOL Oh the disappointments as you find out what it can't do which like you say it is reasonable to assume it should do. Any bets on when the automation will actually be usable? :D..oh I know........ er... the Future!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. lwj|localspace

lwj|localspace NI Product Owner

That's always been my attitude about it as well.

I'd argue it's not even the lack of features that's a problem in itself. Limitations aren't always bad.. being swamped in too many options always is.
    But it's the nature of the shortcomings that make it annoying to work with, because you start to run into them as soon as you get a bit more ambitious than just using it a sketch pad. Take the combo of Reaktor Blocks and Maschine. That could be really powerful, in theory. If it didn't perform like Reaktor, if Maschine had robust automation, if you didn't have to jump to a bunch of hoops to even get to it. Take my preferred workflow of setting up a few send channels with heavy compression and saturation so I can add these to any sound in parallel. It's a super old trick, massively speeds up workflow and can save a whole bunch of CPU as opposed to adding these to single channels. Can't do that with anything that has latency..

• Like Like x 1
  20. Deafkon

Deafkon NI Product Owner

It is definitely frustrating on my 5k iMac as well. Maschine isn’t butter smooth either. There is noticeable latency when scrolling horizontally across the piano roll. Nothing like Reason, but there does seem to be an issue with 5k. I spent a few hours with Reason yesterday designing a motorcycle engine with throttle and idle settings using a combinator and in this respect, Reason is unmatched in modular flexibility and sound sculpting, so I still use it often.

• Like Like x 1