1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Massive X, Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Why does NI Maschine efx suck so bad?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by trusampler, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LMSW

LMSW New Member

I find the effects adequate, but you do have to tweak them to your liking.

2. gbalzo

gbalzo NI Product Owner

I do not understand why are you guys opposing ¨quality effects" to "an easy and very intuitive, simple workflow"

Just make better soundig effects, thats all. We are talking about NI they are very capable of improving the sound quality of Maschine effects.

But I do see a point in the risk of increasing CPU load. So I´m thinking: what about a HQ / Normal switch in the effects parameters. Ableton use this in some plugins.

3. taoyoyo

taoyoyo NI Product Owner

From my (and I would guess a few others) point of view, I've got a battery of third party effects plug-ins that I would prefer to use over Maschine's....

so personally, I'm not too concerned about that side of Maschine (though I have had some fun with a few of the creative FX). I would much rather have many more outputs so I can process sounds with the FX that I prefer.

I'm not saying the FX couldn't do with improving, just that they would have to improve a lot for me to choose them over my third party stuff.

4. Funky D

Funky D Forum Member

Maschine can already be a bit CPU heavy, especially for people with slow computers. The point of Maschine is quick workflow... once you start adding FX that demand more CPU, you're going to get more stutters and hiccups when trying to work fast at low latencies.

I'm all for high quality FX, but for now NI still has to cater to those who just meet Maschine's minimum system requirements. NI can raise these for the next release, but until them I'm guessing they won't be tweaking existing FX unless they can do so without affecting CPU usage.

I'm not sure if BPM is the best comparison either... I've never used it, but I'm guessing you can work quicker with Maschine using the controller than you can with BPM. And the quicker you switch between patterns and sounds and the like, the more chance you have of stuttering out if there isn't enough CPU resources available.

Just my 2 cents... :D

5. noiserot

noiserot Forum Member

This is a funny thread. Whether the effects "suck" or not is totally subjective. Having said that, I totally disagree with the OP. I find Maschine's effects to be excellent and they're certainly miles ahead of what you'd find on any MPC.

6. dspent

dspent New Member

The OP's basic premise is a simple one, the FX that come with maschine are not high quality. He's right. I have had my maschine now for 2 weeks. I have only o e complaint about it. The fx aren't very good. Specifically for me the reverb is what I need improved the most. It's very harsh sounding. Also I wish there were a sync button on the delay to sync to tempo and/or a parameter to change the delay in miliseconds as well as time signature.

Oh and the argument that CPU demand would be an issue if they improved the effects is a weak argument. Just for kicks I added fx to a test project on every group and sound. I had maschine playing, switching between patterns and scenes etc. Without even a minor blip on the CPU meter. The point being if you're serious about your craft and making music with a pc or mac, having the CPU power to run all your gear, apps, daws, controllers and fx is as basic as making sure you have the best audio interface and AD/DA converters as you can afford.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  7. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

sorry, but i disagree Re: CPU.... some people already complain about Maschine being a CPU hog.

not every Maschine owner has a super fast computer, not every one here is a "professional" producer, so CPU is a consideration.

sowari

8. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

^^
    True, but time moves on, computers get faster, software then finds a way to take advantage of that power and eventually you need an upgrade. Besides, offering a high quality mode or lite fx versions will solve this. That way if you have and older rig you can use the cheapo effects but those that have a modern CPU can enjoy better quality. I am all for optimized CPU use but at what expense?

9. JTNYC

JTNYC NI Product Owner

Go away -

Why can't people start a discussion, or request a feature without being so obnoxious. It's such a drag when I see this kind of post. I feel like I'm listening to children. Not all of you of coarse, but you know who.

10. vinceprice

vinceprice NI Product Owner

I don't consider dude being obnoxious I think he's just being honest. He paid for the product now he is expressing his feelings/opinion about a feature. I agree they do suck. I don't see why if they are not going to make it a VSTi Host they don't just higher someone like Soft Tube, PSP, ect to do some kind of add-ons to NI and make some kind of proprietary extension that would allow it to pop up in the list and be like how kontakt loads sample cds made for kontakt. At the end of the day the FX should actually sound good. Especially if you are working in standalone. I just don't think Maschine is there yet as far as Standalone is concerned because you still need to open a bunch of other things up in order to get that big sound. But seriously it's still 1.5 they have a lot of options. I should be on the dev team.

11. ryemonsta

ryemonsta Forum Member

MASCHINE FX are not good.

mainly delay and reverbs but most all.

I dont think they can compare to battery 3 at all.

Any thoughts?

12. KDilla

KDilla NI Product Owner

13. Lotuz

Lotuz NI Product Owner

The reverbs could be improved, but I like the Beat Delay. I use it all the time.

14. KDilla

KDilla NI Product Owner

Lotuz, do you have examples of that on your soundclick? I'd like to hear beat delay being used on a track and see what it can do.

15. Lotuz

Lotuz NI Product Owner

Every delay you hear is the Beat Delay.

16. THE WIDOWMAKER

THE WIDOWMAKER NI Product Owner

Personally I don't see why the complaining!

we bought it as a grrrrrroove machine or is that maschine......the delay is brilliant in my opinion, especially when being creative with it, I mean - ever tried making a multitap from it -----easy! and with very good results, yes the FX are not quite OHM Force but thats not what we expected really is it?

The verbs could be better i'll agree but i think the meta and Ice do a great job @ being different! And to be brutal, if i want a decent verb Ill go to my Waves or Lexicon or other dedicated devices/plugs,

I reckon the grainstretcher and grain delay are ace!

if i had to wish for something a little better id ask for better filters as these are the staple diet of a groove machine In my eyes and could really do with beefing up and giving a few extra tools for mangling.......... again though, id look for a dedicated beast if I wanted that....which I DO BTW.

slightly contradictory i know but hey!

What gets me is why there is always something to complain about..... its meant to be fun. when was the last time anybody bought a groove box with CLASS A compressors and Reverbs built in? we didn't, and we probably wouldnt buy it if it existed....why? because it would be too bloody expensive and would harass the elements of why we love this type of tool!

Thanks NI - in my eyes, a great product!

17. the hamburgler

the hamburgler Forum Member

who's we?

maschine is not about trying to emulate the confinements of the past, everything Ni have ever said about it has had nothing to do with backward thinking on the contrary they've only been forward thinking.

the {it doesn't have it so lets not put it in} train of thought is a wash. Ni is not on a mission to make your grandpas groove box, they are not shunning innovation or innovative request.
    I believe it would make more sense for a user to stop using maschine if its too forward thinking for them than for someone to question why a maschine user would
    desire a boost in quality in any aspect of maschine. If you don't want any enhancements or quality improvements you should just use an mpc or other standard groovebox with the feature level you cling to.

18. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

agreed 100%

sowari

19. ryemonsta

ryemonsta Forum Member

Im just pointing out the faults I can see in it. I do like a lot about it and I have high hopes for it but Im trying to use the forum to work out the kinks and hopefully NI will take notice and make changes. As I scroll through the forum I see a lot of threads about its fall backs and most of them are unresolved still. Maschine has been out for sometime and its really hasn't caught on at all until recently and its was crap until the 1.5 update. Its cool its new but NI also has never made a groove box or hardware before that I am aware of. This cost $600 so I expect it to be pretty professional in quality. Also if you know the company is capable of better FX and you just paid $600 for a product you would expect at least that quality.

20. ryemonsta

ryemonsta Forum Member

@trusampler

Im with you %100 I accidentally started my own thread on this subject. from the gate I felt they were very flat and corny and ya maybe a couple are OK but overall weak. I used battery for a while so when you go and buy a similar product from the same company its like ? Why didnt they just use battery architecture and integrate the sequencer part it would have been good.

also I agree that if Maschine would function freely while being used as a plug in then maschine built in effects wouldnt matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.