Why is the Mic Missing?

Discussion in 'KONTROL Z1' started by PiYo, Jun 20, 2013.

1. PiYo

PiYo Forum Member

But it really annoys me that there is no mic input in that unit. Why NI, Why is the mic missing?

Really nice for a little house or backyard party, but how I am gonna tell someone to move his car, or somebody lost his phone or wallet or whatever...?

2. Ricky Woofer

Ricky Woofer Account Suspended

HUH? You want to use the Z1 in a big club where they have no mixer?

Anyhow i have a solution, turn down the music and yell real loud if a car must been moved.
    If youre spinning in a club and go talking about missing phones or wallets during a set you wont be spinning there twice lol

3. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

Why no mic? Why no booth, why no ground pins the list could go on and on and with every function that it had there would be one that people would miss.

The job of the Z1 is to perform as a simple mixer/soundcard for Traktor DJ. It is not meant to be a fully fledged mixer.

Add stuff and the cost goes up and the Z1 has low cost as one of it's major attractions.

Karlos

4. frankle

frankle NI Product Owner

Aggregate devise in Sound & Midi (Mac) or whatever the Windows version of it is and use the internal mic or mini-jack input. Easy!

5. PiYo

PiYo Forum Member

@Ricky Woofer - Most Big Clubs with DJ Booths will have a main mixer with CDJs or Technics or even Both. Using Z1 at a club only make sense because most clubs Club managers and some DJs kinda freak out when you say Traktor or A8. It can be less of a hassle to ask just 1 channel and use the club mixer mic and booth.

Some lounges/Bars, ONLY have the sound system installed with no DJ Setup or Mixer. All you have is an empty space to set up your own equip and a line out hooked to the main sound system. Managers sometimes will bring you lost wallets, lost keys, or 10/15 mins before the bar close someone might have forget his credit card at the bar/ sometimes you have to make the last call for the bar, people get drunk and collapse at parties and you have to stop the music and help direct traffic and keep everyone else calm ect... And yes club managers/the crowd will expect the DJ to do these things.

@Karlos Santos - It's obvious the industry is doing everything it reach out the mass. But a small portion of that mass are professionals and do expect these basic features Mic/booth out/ and even ground pins when buying a dj mixer, "fully fledged" or not. these are basic IMHO. It's like buying a car with no doors and no seat bell. With a Mic and booth @ $300 the Z1 would still be very attractice. Plus If they had incorporated an A4 for TT and CDJ for scratch pro option, you can bet at $350 or even $400 it would sell.

@Frankle - I will look into the aggregate sound and Midi option. Excuse my ignorance, but does that option means running 2 sound cards (Z1&mac or pc) at once? Thanks.

6. Ricky Woofer

My point exactly, so why would you need a mic in youre Z1 if its already in the club's main mixer?
    Most Traktor product you use , you always only need one channel from the mixer, so i dont understand what you mean?
    Btw its getting more and more accepted to use youre own "digital" set up as a ad on theres, times are chainging.
    Its more of a problem amongst DJ's when chainging and messing with the cables etc than the Club owner or party organisator.
    ---
    So basicly they make there problem youre problem because they dont want to invest in a booth?
    Clubs i came and come dont expect the DJ to talk about missed items and ****, they store it at front where logicly people come to ask if they find there lost item.
    Stop the music ? wow man what clubs you go to? it kills the vibe, when people collapse thats the bouncers job , how many times you want to stop music at one night? 10 times? 20? Hell no, music must go on so everybody keeps on partying no mather what, unless there is a real problem like a shootout or something.
    Only times i had music stopped was when the police did a raid and one time when there was a hugh fight and not enough bouncers inside and no warningsystem to alert the bouncers at the door. And i dear to say you need a lot more years before you have been as much nights in clubs as me lol

Edit how could i forgot : the times music stopped deu to technical reasons lol

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  7. Karlos Santos

Dude you are missing the whole point of the Z1, or rather 2 points.

1. Cost.
    2. It was primarily designed with the Traktor DJ app in mind.

It is not meant to offer more than it does.

I would imagine that NI will bridge the gap between Z1 and Z2 at some point and maybe that will be a more attractive product for users needing more functions. Who knows.
    I think the Z1 is a genius move and one that I have been calling for since day one of the Traktor DJ app.

Karlos

8. PiYo

PiYo Forum Member

My man I think you are missing mine. It's definitely a nice product. Ipads/Iphone or computer or price is not the point. Using it home personal entertainment, or at a very small gathering, great. Beyond that the genious has it's limitations and but it does not hurt to mention. I am not a tech guy. Maybe it was a physical limitations or that was just the intent, but it's kind of puzzling when you see basic stuff missing.
    ---
    I am small fish bro, a very small one working his way up. I am very comfortable were I am. Happy for you for making it big and be happy about it. Right now I am mostly doing private Gigs, and small lounges/clubs as guest (mostly doing openings) or in between sets. Maybe one day I will get noticed and start doing it big too. And if it does not happen, well I'll be fine too. If I was a producer, maybe I would push harder, but right now I am fine.

In average the crowd I play for is around 250 people. And yes sometimes I do get to announce lost keys, wallets or jewelry and say where to go claim them; either at the bar or by the DJ booth. Not all venue gather to the 500 + crowd. Some venues go after a very specific clientele. these venues sometimes have only 1 or no bouncers at all. Yep no bouncer, because the venue and that specific crowd do not expect any fights. I prefer Those gigs, Less hussle negociating for money a little bit more receptive to new material and If one or few clients are super happy, your pocket will know about it.

Edit: And yes for the past six years or so I had music stopped due to technical reasons. Does not occur more then 5 times max and 2 of them 5 the problem was on my end. And I can remember them all right now (were & why) as i it was yesterday.

9. Ricky Woofer

I feel you, sorry if i came across harsh or disrespectfull , didnt mean to.
    Im small fish to man, im old lol best days are behind me as a DJ but that was my personal choice i rather spend time at home in the lab working than in clubs and party's. Ive had my share. Hell i cant even mix standing up anymore i need to sit while mixing these days lmao

I wish you all the best of luck man, its a hard world these days to get known, just keep going and have fun doing what you do. Thats most important.

And yes offcource you (we all) remember the times audio drops , that kind of emberracement nobody forgets haha but i try to ;) but it happens to everybody at one point for sure :)

10. Karlos Santos

Yeah this is definitely a good reason. There will be limited room in the casing (the back is rather full as it is.

But I still maintain that adding one or two extra functions would increase the price to the point that it would be out of the reach of Traktor DJ app users.

We must bare in mind that many app users are not Traktor Pro DJ's. They simply want a basic mixer/soundcard and (most crucially) one that powers the iPad.

I know, it's hard to look at the Z1 without having Traktor Pro eyes but there is a whole market out there that does not include Traktor Pro users. It irks me that I have read (on a few forums) people bemoaning the release of the Z1 before a supposed Z4 as if the 2 things are related.
    It's a bit like saying "why have Renault release another hatch-back when I want a saloon".

Let's see what the future brings, maybe we will see Z's of all flavours to suit all of us.

Karlos

11. arby

arby Forum Member

theres a product with alot of what your after its called an s2/s4 ? :p