Workaround for lack of shuffle/randomize feature

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by aweeeezy, Apr 26, 2019.

1. aweeeezy

aweeeezy NI Product Owner

After reading a bunch of older forum posts about the desire for a feature that shuffles tracks, it seems that this is, for some reason, a contentious topic.

That being said, I hate that I always scan through my playlists in the same order(s) so I wrote a Python script to shuffle all mp3 files in a given directory (and its subdirectories) and write sequential numbers to one of a few possible ID3 tags that are supported both by Traktor and the Python library used to do the tag writing (sorry, I couldn't figure out how to make the library read/write the comment tag).

You can download and use the script here (https://github.com/a-rich/python/blob/master/randomize_tracks.py).

Example usage:

python randomize_tracks.py --folder '/Volumes/SanDisk256/Traktor/DJ Music/Tech-house' --tag track_num

A couple things to note:
    • you'll need Python as well as the eyed3 library (pip install eyed3)
    • I also had to install the lib-magic library as it was required by eyed3 but not automatically installed (pip install python-magic-bin==0.4.14)
    • the default behavior of the script is to recursively look for mp3 files starting from the directory in which the script resides and write the sequential numbers into the track number ID3 tag
    • using the argument option --folder or -f allows you to specify the folder from which to recursively search for mp3 files
    • using the argument option --tag or -t allows you to specify the ID3 tag to write sequential numbers to
    • this will, of course, affect the ID3 tag globally meaning you cannot isolate the randomization to a particular Traktor playlist...if you have the same track in multiple playlists, are using the same tag to determine shuffle order in these playlists, and want to have order affected by the script for one playlist and not the other(s), then this will not work for you
    • I only tested this for the track number tag because that's what I use for shuffling -- there's a chance that writing to the other tags might not work
    • you'll have to enable consistency checking in the File Management section of Traktor's settings in order to update the tags as read by Traktor after executing this script
    These are the supported ID3 tags which can be written to; they can be specified using the --tag or -t argument option:
    • artist
    • bpm
    • genre
    • play_count
    • release_date
    • title
    • track_num
    Hope someone finds this helpful -- happy mixing!

2. MrDelicious2

MrDelicious2 New Member

Nice Possible workaround.
    Traktor GODS...if you are listening.

****We want a random/shuffle playlist feature***

*Another good idea would be a button to transition to the next song in Cruise mode, yes I'm aware you can set it for each song. It would be nice to be able to do it on the fly.

3. UndefinedB

UndefinedB New Member

This same workaround is also in rekordcloud: you can shuffle and reorder playlists by multiple columns there.

4. MrDelicious2

MrDelicious2 New Member

Traktor GODS...if you are listening.

****We want a random/shuffle playlist feature***

*Another good idea would be a button to transition to the next song in Cruise mode, yes I'm aware you can set it for each song. It would be nice to be able to do it on the fly.