Working with Tags and Presets

Discussion in 'GUITAR RIG' started by mr-es335, Jan 11, 2020.

1. mr-es335

mr-es335 NI Product Owner

Good day,

I have prepared the following article.

As mentioned in this document, it is imperative that the reader understand that the information that is provided is to be taken from an entirely "observational" perspective only.

Those that do attempt any of the provided content, do so "at their own risk".

I do hope that some will find this information useful. Constructive comments and suggestions are always appreciated.

PS: This article is also not really intended for the neophyte - as it does make some assumptions from time-to-time.Lastly, this article is not a tutorial - however this article IS free and hopefully someone will be able to glean at least some useful information from this article?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  2. mr-es335

Good day,

Any comments anyone?

PS: It is good to see activity on this forum anyhow!

3. ejmillan

ejmillan NI Product Owner

I have to read this calmly (after translation), so I need to extract the text from the PDF first and then translate it to understand the content well. So this will take some time.
    Anyway, thanks for sharing this.:)

4. ejmillan

I read the document carefully and understand the different scenarios.
    However, I can't relate this information to a practical purpose for managing the presets I created (they are few)
    For a home user like me, it is not my idea to eliminate the factory presets, as they are a source of ideas and practical demonstration of features and combinations that are not sufficiently explained in the manual.
    Additionally, certain presets have additional information detailing the optimal use for which the preset has been designed (for example for neck or bridge pickups, etc). This is also a valuable source of information that the user can develop for their needs.
    I understand that the management of a considerable amount of presets has certain limitations (we have 3 levels-organizational labels) this implies to make a previous analysis of the way we are going to distribute our presets. Also choosing a name for a preset with a rational criterion can help simplify management.
    Within all this, there is also the question of trying to have as clean a list of presets as possible (removing from disk the ones we don't use).
    Another thing to take into account is the use of the Rig Kontrol pedalboard (next preset - previous preset buttons), to manage the live tones. This may be the last organizational level (per song).

As a general precaution, I save my global presets (and component presets) in the default location and also in another location as a backup.

Thanks for this interesting approach to the organizational part of the presets.

5. mr-es335

ejmillan,

Data management is one of the basic fundamentals of any and all application usage - at least to me anyhow.

So, when I am learning a new application, being a Windows user, I look to see if the app is following standard Windows protocol.

For example, the use of F2 for expanding/contracting the SideKick negates the use of F2 for rename. If there are twelve Function keys available, I am sure that another key could have been used rather than F2 for such an operation. If there are no Function keys available, then I would have preferred another means to access the SideKick. Or it might be more apropos to ascertain just how important this feature is in the first place?
    • As an aside, it would appear that GR3 had a much better preset management system than does GR5!

As the existing documentation on preset management is rather lacking for GR5 - and indeed for many such apps, you literally have to "hack your way around" to be able to get a grasp on just how a particular application manages the data. This process is done through a series of "scenarios". Precisely where the scenarios are going is really not the point - it is simply getting a handle on how GR5 manages data - especially "user data".
    • If you noticed, I made it very clear that this document was to be "observational only" - with no real intention of any of these scenarios being actually performed. Thus the purpose and intent of "textboarding".

One other purpose in this posting was to see if there just happened to be anyone else 1) who was interested in how GR5 managed it's data, or 2) who had some experience with data management in GR5. Neither has proved fruitful thus far.

With regards to Factory presets, I do consider each and every one - eventually weeding-out those presets that I have no interest in at all. I will then organize those Factory presets into some manner as to reflect their overall design usage. Some of these presets may be stripped-down to a single component which is then re-saved as that particular component...and so on...and so on.

One final thing - I use batch files a lot, and have batch files for backing-up and restoring both Factory presets and User presets. The use of batch files permits me to completely remove ad then to completely restore Factory presets - at command. In this manner then, I feel that I have not lost anything in-the-translation - so to speak.

Anyhow, ejmillan, thanks for the reply...very much appreciated indeed!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  6. ejmillan

I understand. Since I don't have GR3 I really don't know how the organizational function has changed.
    I also didn't go that deep into managing the GR5 data handling (although I like to customize the save paths, project, temporary files, user folder and so on in any application that allows it).
    I really had a dilemma to organize my presets efficiently. I started making presets to replicate the practices of my pedal and effects course, after a few practices I realized that my organization was poor and that the labels I created were not practical.
    And that was only for less than 20 presets (but I wanted to organize them by type of practice - gain pedals, order, etc)

do you know anything about FX Loop on Guitar Rig? I received + 20 hits in the thread but nobody answers my question. maybe it's a very silly question?